Steel vs Alloy frame for CCW?

This is a discussion on Steel vs Alloy frame for CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did you think about the weight of the ammo? Often ammo in the gun and an extra mag or two weigh as much as the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steel vs Alloy frame for CCW?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Did you think about the weight of the ammo? Often ammo in the gun and an extra mag or two weigh as much as the firearm...

Comfort is good. Find it!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have carried an all-steel N-frame .41 Magnum S&W Model 58 comfortably enough all day, concealed, which was my duty sixgun at the time. I have done the same with GP100 sixguns, K-frame sixguns, and 1911 pistols. My present duty and concealed-carry guns are SIG P229 pistols with alloy frames. For comparison, I also own a couple of special-edition P229s with stainless steel frames. With these double-stack P229 pistols, I am very glad to have alloy frames for all-day concealed carry. A steel frame with the weight of the ammo in a double-stack does get to be a bit much after a while, especially as the weight is carried higher than with a single-stack auto or a sixgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Heavier guns are easier to shoot and control, but harder to hide and carry all day.
    [...]
    Excellent posting, Archie!

Mike Fontenot

VIP Member
    Ok, I have carried for quite awhile. Granted, there is no free lunch as they both offer advantages and disadvantages. An all steel gun handles and shoots better in my hands than an alloy equivalent. Conversely, the alloy is much more convenient to carry when its hot. If I had to choose between the two, it would be an all-steel. As it is, I have and use both dependent on the prevailing season, dress, and other considerations.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I think comfortable carry is more related to holster/belt/pants than to gun weight.

With a good holster and properly fitting pants, I can carry a full sized steel 1911 or Sig P220 all day long without noticing it's there. OTOH, if the pants are loose and sloppy, then the belt has to take more of the weight and the same gun can be less comfortable.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with an alloy frame gun either although I wouldn't expect one to hold up as well if you are going to use it for a lot of range work (e.g. >10,000 or 20,000 rounds).

Ken

A lot of good comments here. I've carried concealed for a long time and found that I prefer my alloy Kimber Ultra Carry (3" bbl) over its all-steel and larger relatives, even in identical carry rigs. I think that pistol width makes a difference as well, with narrower being more comfortable. For all-day carry, comfort makes a big difference to most folks. A heavy pistol in the safe doesn't do you any good. The best pistol is the one that you will carry consistently and shoot well.

On the latter, my Ultra Carry shoots as well as my full-sized. At defensive ranges, there's no practical difference in accuracy due to sight radius, but the Kimber even shoots pretty well out to 40 yards or so with practice.

Kimber says that they've tested their alloy frames to >10,000 rounds. That's good enough for me. I practice much more with my all-steel Kimber and shoot the alloy-framed Ultra occasionally for fine tuning. The beauty of multiple Kimbers is that they all work and handle the same, so practicing with the steel one provides positive training transfer to the alloy one.

With today's firearms, there's no need to sacrifice effectiveness for weight. Modern materials and manufacturing processes provide a host of firearm choices that are both comfortable and comforting.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Well I bit the bullet (hehehe) and bought the steel DW CBOB

PIcs and range report over here...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1509753

Sled

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links