Defensive Carry banner

Steel vs Alloy frame for CCW?

8K views 36 replies 33 participants last post by  Sledzep01 
#1 ·
This question is targeted to those who have carried for years.
So I have read many threads about how a full steel gun can get heavy when carrying all day. Many switch to an alloy framed model for this. This is well understood but I wonder if it makes a difference in what you do when you carry? Or how long you actually carry? I wonder if the people who switch are like LEO's who carry all day.

I generally work from home and sometimes don't even start my car for days. I dress as I like, usually some light loose stretchy shorts and a T shirt. My pistol safe is 5 feet behind me. My gun is either there on top or on a desk next to me. If I walk out of the apartment I put it in my pocket (P 238) Whenever I go out if it is legal I am armed IWB 4:00.

So when I go out it is normal Dad/friend/husband errands and never a full day of anything really.
My next pistol will be a 1911 of less than a 5 inch barrel.

I am 6' 2" 350lbs, f you had my life/schedule would an alloy vs stainless frame be a big deal?

Thank you all for the great replies I know I will get.

Sled

See less See more
#3 ·
I hope to learn more here. So far I have lumped all 'all-metal' semi-autos into the same category...heavier, yet less recoil, and generally better quality.

#4 ·
I have steel frames, alloy frames, polymer frames. I've got revolvers (small light, and large heavy) as well as semi autos (large and small). If you're home most of the time size and weight don't really matter much. If you wear loose stretchy shorts and pants a lot, a small light frame for pocket or IWB carry will make a difference in you not ending up "pants on the ground, pants on the ground, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground."

When I wear my lounge pants or gym shorts around the house and yard, an alloy S&W snubbie is the ticket. When I pocket carry in dress pants, the poly framed Taurus PT709 9mm is a great choice. If I'm in the truck driving for hours on a trip and need a gun in arms reach in the cab without digging my IWB or pocket CC weapon out from a seated position, then I drop a large frame 357 revolver or large semi-auto in the console. Size and weight don't matter for car or home defense.

#5 ·
There is something about a well built 5" Stainless Steel Pistol that you will appreciate.

I carry several guns most are polymer frames of all sizes. Yes they are much lighter.

If you are not going to move around too much though, a 45 ACP Stainless 1911 is my choice. A well made full size 1911 has balance and weight to compensate for recoil. Most are just a joy to shoot.

My preference is Kimber, Les Baer Custom or Wilson.

Just my opinion.

#7 ·
I have steel, alloy and polymer pistols. The alloy and polymer are around 25oz-27oz and the steel are around 34oz. I can definitely tell the weight difference and find the alloy/polymer more comfortable for carry, but I sometimes carry the steel. To me, the difference that weight has, with the semi-auto pistols I carry, on recoil is negligible. Weight on a revolver is a different story.

#8 ·
Anyone can learn to carry anything...it's an individual accomplishment.
With the right rig, one can maintain comfort, and as someone else stated, what difference can a few ounces make if you have the right leather rig?
With that said, I prefer to carry Glocks and Kimbers...:wave:

#9 ·
I work from home as well, and I'm usually in jeans and a sweatshirt. For me weight isn't an issue at all and I actually prefer something with a little more weight to it.
My EDC is a steel K-frame revolver. If I have an occasion when I need to get dressed up more than normal I'll carry either my J-frame or my 1911. For deep concealment I use a Smart Carry with the steel J-frame, it also works well if I'm just lounging around in sweats.
The weather here in MI can range from hot to cold and in between, even in the hot summer months I can carry the big revolvers under a T shirt. When I first starting carrying a year ago I was lucky and didn't have to change much in my wardrobe to conceal any of them, really the only thing I had to watch was the length of my cover shirt, and two shirts were all I had to give up.
My main criteria for a carry gun is one I shoot well and is reliable, I shoot my revolvers better than the 1911 and they go bang every time.

#16 ·
Yes Ruger and Retsuppp...and that weight can also create more stability and have the gun not flop around alot, therefore mitigating alot of the wt.....in a properly fitted rig.

However a purse hanging off your shoulder with a fullsize gun and 17+1 gets heavy! LOL

#10 ·
For me and my busy day, the weight of my EDC is a huge issue. While the steel framed pistols and revolvers are nice range guns, for CC IMO they come in second. My EDC/CC pistols only needs to run like its range siblings, the slim and thin CC pistol is the way to go for all day CC IMO. I'm 6'2" and 230lbs and in fairly good physical shape, but 20+ ounces on my hip all day is uncomfortable plain and simple. I'll opt for the lighter and thinner CC pistol every time. If I know I'm heading into a bad part of town for a finite amount of time I'll gun up, but for my EDC I'll go the lighter thinner route. YMMV

GBK

#22 ·
I'm the same size and agree with you 100%. I used to carry a P229 all the time. I love the gun, it fits me perfect and I could conceal it well...but it is heavy and I found that to get old after 2 years. I downsized to a M&P40c and haven't carried the 229 since. I actually put it on my belt a couple of days ago to carry it for nistalga and I immediately put it back in the safe and grabbed my M&P40c due to the weight.

#11 ·
:wave: I've got two 1911's: a Colt commander that I've had for 30+ years and a newer Kimber Ultra (with 3" barrel).

While I shoot both, I carry the Kimber w/ its alloy frame. I find it much more comfortable to carry. And I know this is wierd, but I actually enjoy shooting the Kimber more than the Commander.

#12 ·
I believe that most people who carry have several different firearms. Some people dress around their carry gun, I on the other hand just pick a carry that fits what I am wearing. I have been LEO for 16 years. Even being able to use a robust carry system (duty belt) the weight eventually gets to you. I have seen a trend lately with Officers going to lighter and smaller carry guns. With the hours spent inside the ever shrinking interior of patrol vehicles it is much more comfortable.

#13 ·
There is a proper tool for every job! You can make many things work but when you have the right tool - life is good. Personal choice based on knowledge, input and experience. You need the right tool for the job.

#14 ·
I've carried steel framed as well as alloy framed guns. The difference in weight isn't that much. If you use a good quality carry rig (holster and belt), it shouldn't make a difference.

#18 ·
I find carrying alloy and polymer framed guns much easier to carry. Health issues play a role in that decision but after carrying for years as an LEO, I've come to appreciate the lighter weight guns...

#21 ·
Clint Smith states that carrying a defensive weapon should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

As with others who have posted, I have a variety of sidearms to fit a number of missions and modes of dress. Around the house I'm usually carrying a compact Kahr CW9 or Taurus PT111 because they are lightweight and convenient, and there is always another handgun available nearby. When I leave the house there will usually either be a J-frame snub in my pocket or an alloy Kimber 1911 (28 oz) on my hip. Hiking out away from developed areas, the G23 or one of the big .45s will be on my hip in a substantial holster on a gun belt. And always, always (did I say always?) have spare ammo on board.

Your defensive sidearm just needs to work for you. I started out carrying a full-size 1911, and the smaller, lighter guns just naturally came along over time.

#23 ·
Belt Holster carry: S&W 640- Stainless Steel .38Spcl+P
Pocket carry: S&W 642 Alloy (Standard Pressure)

I carry both ways (depends on weather and occasion) so I ended up with two guns. I prefer the 640 but there are times it just isn't practical.

My neighbor has one of 2 lbs+ long slide steel 1911 clones that he claims is the minimum for self defense. He has it, but he doesn't carry it! He's always telling me I need a real man's gun, but while he's talking he is usually unarmed while I am carrying the snubby. Get the biggest most stable handgun you can comfortably carry. If your wardrobe can hide a big gun, you should carry it. But if you dress a little lighter get a gun you will carry.

#24 ·
Steel vs Alloy frame for CCW?
Hard to say what you'd do based on how you'd feel. I can only describe my experience and attempt to explain how I'd view it.

STI has two frame options for their VIP 1911 pistol, one in steel and the other in forged aluminum. STI quotes the aluminum frame as saving a bit over 4oz. I've seen a couple examples of other (non STI) pistols where 7-8oz was saved by going to lighter materials. Will that reduction make all the difference for a given person? It depends on that person's gear and tolerance for weight.

My carry gear has never been above 31oz for the gun, plus loaded magazines, riding on a quality "gun" belt and holster. For years, I carried a Browning BDM, 31oz, 15+1 rds, and 8" OAL. For the past 3yrs, I have carried a CZ P-01, 28oz, 14+1 rds, and 7.2" OAL.

On the target range and in open field shooting (on public lands), I have also carried a Kahr CW9 (16oz, 7+1 rds, 6" OAL). Probably the lightest gun I have carried IWB or OWB is a S&W 442 Airweight, at 16oz, 5 rds, 6.5" OAL.

Verdict: While the additional 11-14oz is noticeable to a degree, I don't feel that it gets in the way of my carrying the heavier pistols. Though I do limit the weight to 31oz at the heaviest (with the Browning BDM). Yes, I like pistols on the 20-25oz range. But I'm also comfortable with another 5-10oz beyond that. Remember, with any pistol is going to be another three loaded magazines, as well.

#25 ·
As you have noticed there's are a lot of good recommendations here to follow. I believe that lighter is better because you'll carry it more. If you like the 1911 action and the weight of the SS 5" doesn't bother you go ahead and carry it. It all boils down to personal wants and desires. For myself usually in the summer its the S&W 642 with +P rounds with a speed loader in the cargo pocket. The way you dress will define what you're planning on carrying. I stopped using the IWB holsters years ago due to comfort and went with a belt holster for a Glock 23. I'm 5'08" and weight 182 lbs and it's not an issue. Same thing when I use to carry a Colt Officer year round. But back to the all SS 1911 Government that thing will get old very quickly if you had to carry it all day.

#27 ·
I am 6'3" tall and weigh 260 lbs. I am also 73 years old and I must admit that I do gravitate towards the lighter, alloy/polymer guns for concealed carry. I really do like my all steel 1911's for carry but, practically speaking, I end up carrying a lighter gun for CCW. Getting old is a fact of life.

#28 ·
Heavy or Light?

Heavier guns are easier to shoot and control, but harder to hide and carry all day.

Lighter guns are more unpleasant in recoil and more difficult to control for repeat or multiple shots, but easier to hide and carry.

I personally find a heavy small gun (Detonics sort of pistol comes to mind) are hard to shoot because the grip is dinky and difficult to carry and hide because they simulate a lead brick. The worst of both worlds.

The weight problem is more than just being 'tiring'. A heavy gun droops one's britches as has been mentioned. Weight doesn't 'tire' me as much as makes it awkward to maintain. Also, weight is more than just the pistol; one requires a reload. So the weight of an extra magazine full of ammo adds to the payload.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm at that awkward age. I'm still young enough to be working, but old enough to be putting on weight with no relationship to my sidearm. My current body style puts my belt at or just below the bulge amidships. So, if my belt slips just a little, my britches are heading south. The pistol, extra magazine, handcuffs and 'other alternate force device' - all required - tend to speed that process. Using a public urinal is a truly instructive experience.

So... I prefer a lighter pistol with a full sized grip. My preference is a Colt (Lightweight) Commander. It's pretty easy to control and shoot, but doesn't tend to drag my trou down as much. Second choice is a S&W M19 (four inch).

I currently carry a H&K P2000. Like the Commander, it is relatively light, but has a decent grip size and shape.

I also wear suspenders these days. I don't get paid by them, but Perrysuspenders.com make an excellent product. Suspenders solve many problems of carrying.

I do not always wear a suit or jacket and tie arrangement. But I nearly always wear full length trousers (including jeans) and some sort of over jacket or shirt. It's part of my normal 'persona' and doesn't generate much in the way of curiosity. For those who wear jogging pants or pull on shorts, good luck. I hope you're not allergic to duct tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.