Help me get my wife to the range...

This is a discussion on Help me get my wife to the range... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac Her current impression is that the range is a noisy, unsupervised zoo full of wackos and discourteous cretins. She feels more ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me get my wife to the range...

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Her current impression is that the range is a noisy, unsupervised zoo full of wackos and discourteous cretins. She feels more at-risk at the range than from inexperience with her firearms.
    Really not too far off from the truth sometimes.

One of our local ranges has a ladies night. Something like that might be a little better.

Az

2. Remove Ads

Exclamation My Solution

I have always wanted my wife to come to the range with me at least for the company.
    Yes,married 28 years, and still like her company!!!!!
    I finally got her to take the NRA Basic Pistol course at the gun club I belong to.
    She actually admitted she liked it!!!!!
    While she is not ready to get her CWP and start carrying, it's still a start.
    My secret to getting her to go in the first place?........BRIBERY:
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Try this

Well since her father is very pro gun, point out that she has always respected her father. He's a smart responsible person. If he (a man) understands the need to be able to defend himself in Arizona it makes sense that she should be ready to defend herself where you live.

VIP Member
    You could try bribery. You'll go to that opera (or whatever) she want's to see, if she'll go to the range with you. You may never convince her, but it's worth the try.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Hi,
    Two things that might help:

1) sign her up for a class - without you. I agree with the person up above that the NRA basic pistol class or a basic handgun safety class can get somebody really interested. Call it a SAFETY/FAMILARIZATION CLASS.

2) make a trade. SURELY there is something she wants you to do that you are resisting. (how about an opera, that new fondue and white wine restaurant, dress up in a tux for something, etc etc.)

EW3
    1. Don't "make" her do anything, if she wants no part of it, well then she won't be forced into it.
    2. Make it fun for both of you
    3. Start her off on .22's please...NO .38s or .380s
    4. If she does decide to try it, get her formal training right off the bat
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Funny, but my bride has her ccw, a couple of nice cc weapons, and carries when she can; however, she absolutely detests the range.

The last time she went with me, some mountain man type near us was sighting in what must have been an elephant rifle. It was busy at the range, so we couldn't go to a different station. My wife and I each had in soft foam ear plugs with our large "cans" over that, and still, we would both jump every time he'd pull the trigger. It felt like your heart would skip a beat.

The time before that, some goofy twenty-somethings were randomly blasting away with an SD shottie at silhouettes four feet away and yukking it up. These guys also had an unhealthy fascination with shooting for the 'nads. I looked over at the RO, and he just shrugged.

Her current impression is that the range is a noisy, unsupervised zoo full of wackos and discourteous cretins. She feels more at-risk at the range than from inexperience with her firearms.

I am back trying to convince her to try it "one more time". I hope to heaven if she does, it's not another weird range experience for her.

IF you can get your wife to shoot in the 1st place, definitely do not take her to a typical indoor range: as the post above intimates, you will turn her off guns forever. Indoor ranges are, even in my mind, dangerous and extremely noisy areas. NOT FUN.

Instead, I shoot at a members-only outdoor range ($25/year, but that's Mississippi!!). It ain't noisy 'cause it's large and out-of-doors, and they don't accept cretins as members either; and safety -- and 100% politeness -- are the unbreakable rules. It is FUN to shoot there (when it's not raining, however!!), even for my wife.

And, as I'm sure you already know, and many others have probably already pointed out, to start her out with a .22LR (if you can get her to the range in the first place; wish I could be of more help in that direction...).

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    IF you can get your wife to shoot in the 1st place, definitely do not take her to a typical indoor range: as the post above intimates, you will turn her off guns forever. Indoor ranges are, even in my mind, dangerous and extremely noisy areas. NOT FUN.

Instead, I shoot at a members-only outdoor range ($25/year, but that's Mississippi!!). It ain't noisy 'cause it's large and out-of-doors, and they don't accept cretins as members either; and safety -- and 100% politeness -- are the unbreakable rules. It is FUN to shoot there (when it's not raining, however!!), even for my wife.

And, as I'm sure you already know, and many others have probably already pointed out, to start her out with a .22LR (if you can get her to the range in the first place; wish I could be of more help in that direction...).

-Bill
    Bill,

OK, I wasn't going to say it, but I guess it needs to be said. The last indoor range she visited (the guy with the elephant gun) is the official NRA range at NRA headquarters...

Sadly, it's as cold as a witch's elbow in NoVA these days with 8' plowed snow drifts. Outdoors would be great, but it's not a good option here.

Also, she's abandoned her Ruger .22 as a jam-o-matic. She much prefers her flawless 9mm Kimber Aegis or her Ladysmith .38. Her groups with the Kimber are tighter than mine!

If you have friends who go to the range with their wives, it might help to make a day of that. There are women who prefer to go when other women are around.

As others have said, offering a trade might work. I'll try ____ if you'll try the range. If nothing else, at least she won't be able to bother you about ____ anymore.

Some range class/activity that's for women only no hovering husbands. A lot of women don't want to be taught to do something by their husbands, and they don't like to feel like they are the only one in the place who doesn't know what's going on. A women's class/day will put her in a situation with others who are sharing her experience.

If none of that works, you'll probably be better off leaving the matter alone.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Also, she's abandoned her Ruger .22 as a jam-o-matic. She much prefers her flawless 9mm Kimber Aegis or her Ladysmith .38. Her groups with the Kimber are tighter than mine!
    MadMac, I can empathize with the jam-o-matic .22LR auto syndrome. I've always bought high quality brand-name guns too, but every .22LR auto pistol I have ever used would jam on me (.22LR rifles have been OK though; weired...). Now, I only buy .22LR revolvers (such as the .22 convertible Colt Frontier and the Taurus 990 Tracker). Autos seem to really hate that .22LR rim!

And if your wife can take the recoil of her .38 Ladysmith (especially if it's the alloy version; brutal!), then she is good to go with almost anything!

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    And if your wife can take the recoil of her .38 Ladysmith (especially if it's the alloy version; brutal!), then she is good to go with almost anything!

-Bill
    It is the new 642-2 alloy version, and it is "snappy" - her word. I bought the Federal low recoil .38 sp hollowpoints for her for SD ammo based on a friend's recommendation.

I also have a Ruger Mark III Hunter with all top-o-the-line features. Would love to trade it for a G19.

I can get my wife to the range anytime I want. Just schedule the range time an hour before I schedule her a massage.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I can get my wife to the range anytime I want. Just schedule the range time an hour before I schedule her a massage.
    Oohhh. Do you have a brother?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Here's what I did and something worked in my situation because my wife loves to go out shooting with me all the time.

We took our Concealed Carry class together and then she went one on one for the day long shooting portion without me. Her instructor was great and she was so proud of herself for trying out many different handguns and finding out that she was a natural shooter.

Now a days, we plan our shooting days out to be up in the mountains and we always pack a picnic along to enjoy where ever we find ourselves in the Rockies. She firmly believes that shooting is like any other sport and she gets disappointed with herself if she has a bad day out.

We went out shooting this past Monday with another couple and my buddy's wife wasn't into it at all. My wife tried to encourage her but it just didnt work out. Needless to say, some people just don't want to be involved with shooting not matter what is tried to get them into it.

Some background on my wife which makes things more amazing to me is that she is originally from Europe where the ownership of guns is very limited and her exposure to any firearm was nill. She got her U.S. Citizenship last year just before we moved back to the States. I took that opportunity to show her that she needed to exercise all her new rights to include 2A. Well, all I can say, she is "all in" as an American and I love her dearly for everything.

Good luck to all of you who have spouses who aren't as supportive with your hobbie as you would like them to be. Hopefully you support their hobbies with passion as well or you can't really expect them to follow suit.

VIP Member
    There are a few things you can do and at least one has been mentioned.

Get her to a class. If possible a women only class. One of the obstacles is that because she knows nothing she doesn't want to look like an idiot. That and some guys are just twits when teaching women to shoot. Another is that when a spouse tries to teach the other spouse anything, it usually doesn't work. That is because correction from a spouse is viewed differently than correction from an instructor.

Another thing to try is to find a WITO, WOT or other woman's program where they do some basic training and let the women try all sorts of firearms. Again, takes the pressure off and she can relax and have fun with other women getting familiar with firearms.

I thoroughly enjoy teaching women only courses and supporting women only events in my area. They pay attention, follow instruction and coaching and ask great questions. They are usually on target faster and shooting better than most men who attend my classes. A woman instructor coach would be a good place to start or an experienced instructor or coach who has worked with women in the past.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links