Mississippi looking at new gun law

This is a discussion on Mississippi looking at new gun law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's legal here unless it's posted. NO problems have occurred with it at all. NONE ! ! ! ! Funny thing, law abiding and responsible ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi looking at new gun law

It's legal here unless it's posted. NO problems have occurred with it at all. NONE ! ! ! ! Funny thing, law abiding and responsible citizens with a CC license, are still law abiding and responsible ... gee, what a surprise.

2. Remove Ads

More good news.

Let the band play DIXIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

i live in ms dont know how i did not hear about that lets hope it passes

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    unsecured government buildings (whatever that means)
    [/url]
    Sounds like Colorado Law. We are only prohibited from carry in Gobmt bldgs with a "permanently fixed metal detector.....".

If it is not permanently fixed, I guess they are not really serious about not carrying concealed.
    Experience is, courthouses have those fixed metal detectors, libraries & other buildings do not.
    Schools are covered by other statutes.
    (I've even carried in the police station before. No prohibition, no sign forbidding.)

Just my experience.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Last year in Arizona, they passed the same thing. For a month or so it was the hottest topic of conversation. I heard things like, "Just what we need, drunks in bars with guns!", and other such talk. Most of the people that I talked to were surprised to hear that it is only allowed if the person is not drinking. A person with a gun has pretty much volunteered to be the responsible designated driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Last year in Arizona, they passed the same thing. For a month or so it was the hottest topic of conversation. I heard things like, "Just what we need, drunks in bars with guns!", and other such talk. Most of the people that I talked to were surprised to hear that it is only allowed if the person is not drinking. A person with a gun has pretty much volunteered to be the responsible designated driver.
    Yes and absolutely true!
    In Colorado, I can carry in any drinking establishment, just better not be drinking anything alcoholic, or I'm in deep doo doo.

I like having the freedom to decide to stay armed, or to disarm & drink.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

It's funny how the media only shows the bad side of guns!!! They, here in AZ, didn't present the fact, under this law, that if you CCW you can't have a drink. They were out to present CCW'ers as wild drunks with guns! But, now we have not had any CCW people shoot up any bars and they did not present this fact. Thus, the media will not report anything on this bill, since it doesn’t support their. anti-gun, stance.

GM
    Good news!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I really hope this passes. I wrote my Rep expressing my support. It would be especially nice for folks who travel the Natchez Parkway, since the change in federal law regarding National Park land will be moot in MS unless the state law changes regarding state parks.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Excellant news. I live right on the MS border, and it would be nice to be able to go camp in their state parks. I refuse to patronize any LA state parks precisely because they do not allow me to be armed.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

The proposal refers to "secured areas" of government buildings.

I can't get it to copy and paste, but I will type the section that concerns what ares are off limits. The parts in bold are the ammended areas of the bill.

No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol, or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; the secured areas of any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity in the actual place and at the actual time the governing body is actually meeting; any meeting of the Legislature or committee thereof when the Legislature or a committee thereof is actually meeting ; ***any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages if the owner of the property has posted this portion of the establishment as off-limits, although the owner or controller of the property may authorize employees or vendors who are licensed under this section to carry a concealed weapon; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose if the owner of the property has posted the portion of the establishment as off-limits, although the owner or controller of the property may authorize employees or vendors who are licensed under this section to carry a concealed weapon; any elementary or secondary school facility; the secured areas of any junior college, community college, college or university facility other than for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity, except that any establishment serving alcohol on campus may post the bar area as being off-limits to any permit holder and except as otherwise prohibited in this subsection; inside the secured areas of the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the publicly accessible check-in area of the terminal or if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; ***or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In additin to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited, ***except that prohibited areas may not extend to parking facilities other than an employer's secure parking facility as described in section 45-9-55.

Later in the section it describes secure area as any area where access is restricted or limited by the use of metal detectors or individual security personnel conducting individual screenings.

This bill will also allow carry on college campuses except in secured areas.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    The Mississippi legislature is looking at a law that would allow concealed carry in bars, unsecured government buildings (whatever that means) and most state parks.

Here's the article:

New bill would make it easier to carry concealed guns - News Updates - SunHerald.com
    I just received this info from the NRA about the important upcoming (positive) changes to the MS CCW law. The CCW amendment is now stuck in committee, so MS residents should try and help out before the cutoff date of March 2 (my letter to my own MS Rep is shown below in italics/quotes).

FROM THE NRA:
    Urgent: Right-to-Carry Reform Legislation Needs Your Help in Mississippi!
    Please Contact Your State Representative!

You may have read about the new federal law that took effect February 22 that allows concealed carry permit holders to carry firearms for protection in national parks and wildlife refuges. However, this important change will not take effect in Mississippi because state law currently prohibits the possession of firearms in parks and the new federal law would not preempt any state ban.

The Mississippi Senate recently passed Senate Bill 2153, an NRA-supported bill repealing the prohibition on permit holders carrying in parks -- so that the new federal law would apply in Mississippi -- and rolling back many other restrictions on where permit holders can lawfully carry, including private businesses such as restaurants and public buildings that have court rooms and other government offices. However, this important legislation remains stuck in the House Judiciary B Committee.

The deadline for the committee to act on this bill is Tuesday, March 2.

It is critical that you contact your State Representative and respectfully urge him or her to support this important legislation. Please ask them to urge the House Speaker Billy McCoy and House Judiciary B Committee Chairman Willie Bailey to allow the house to vote on this critical bill. Contact information can be found here.

MY EMAIL TO MY MS REPRESENTATIVE:

"Dear Representative Carpenter,

As I lifelong voting Republican, now living in District 1, I very
    respectfully urge you to please try and convince House Speaker Billy McCoy
    and House Judiciary B Committee Chairman Willie Bailey to let the house
    vote on the most critical Senate bill, SB 2153. (Which, as you know, is
    still stuck in the House Judiciary B Committee).

Many Thanks
    "

Thanks for the update guys. Let's jump in there before the pols screw this up!

C'mon everybody, we need some help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links