Mississippi looking at new gun law

This is a discussion on Mississippi looking at new gun law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Mississippi legislature is looking at a law that would allow concealed carry in bars, unsecured government buildings (whatever that means) and most state parks. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi looking at new gun law

The Mississippi legislature is looking at a law that would allow concealed carry in bars, unsecured government buildings (whatever that means) and most state parks.

Here's the article:

New bill would make it easier to carry concealed guns - News Updates - SunHerald.com

Sounds like exactly what RKBA means to me...
    This should be the rule in the 'other' 56 states, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hope the bill goes through.

By the way, he visited 57 states, still had one to go.

awesome, good luck!

However I can't wait for people to chime in and say why it's not a good idea and how there will be drunken bloodshed in the streets of Mississippi.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    The Mississippi legislature is looking at a law that would allow concealed carry in bars, unsecured government buildings (whatever that means) and most state parks.

Here's the article:

New bill would make it easier to carry concealed guns - News Updates - SunHerald.com
    I know I've had my fingers crossed on this issue for a bit.

I also wrote Senator Fillingane, thanking him for his great work on the amendment to SB 2153, as well as to Senator Flowers (for his fantastic work on SB 2153 itself).

-Bill

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Good luck!!

Keep us posted on progress.

Hope you can get the definition of a secured areas to mean metal detectors, posted armed security, etc. -- not just posted.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I am glad to hear this. I will definitely try to keep up with the status of this bill.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Hope it goes through and other states follow....including SC!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

It seems other states are jumping on the band wagon. I hope it comes to Michigan.

VIP Member
    OMG!!!!!! Guns in bars and parks!!! The streets will run red with blood and the parks will no longer be safe with all the bullets flying about. Each booth in restaurants will need bullet proof glass to keep the patrons safe from all the drunks shooting the place up. Did I mention all the staff that will be shot, because an order was not done to the customers satisfaction?

I'm sure you'll hear all the excuses for things that don't happen when these laws are enacted. It never fails to astonish me how the sheep think their own state citizens are so much less responsible then the citizens of other states who have the same laws, but none of the problems they fear.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for that link!!! That's good news to my ears, as in a few months I'll be moving to Mississippi for at least the next three years! By the way, slightly off topic but still concerning the article, it mentioned: A 2004 change that waived a one-year state residency requirement to receive a permit to carry a concealed weapon if the person applying for the permit is in the active-duty military or a retired law enforcement officer or if the person has a valid concealed-weapons permit from another state. My question is, how long is it now that I must be a resident before applying?
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Active duty Military members do not have to wait. Turn around time for permit is about 45 days last I heard.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Hope the bill goes through.

By the way, he visited 57 states, still had one to go.

YouTube - Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States

I wonder what the last one he did not get to was?
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Heck, I travel through Mississippi just about every weekend, they have some of the nicest carry laws around compared to some states. Don't have much of a crime rate either, unlike parts of Tennessee. Tennessee you have to take an 8 hour class, MS you just go in, pay money, get background check and wait. MS also allows most state's permits to be reciprocal. Nice!

The only bars in Jackson, MS that have had shootings were in Jackson and the shooters definitely did not have carry permits. I don't drink and drive and I don't drink and carry either. Mostly I don't drink.

The biggest issue with this bill is that it initially was presented in the Senate with only the carry in Federal Parks restriction lifted to make state law allow carry in parks. When a bill lifting many more restrictions died in committee in the House, the Senate voted to amend their bill (the one under consideration now) to lift many of the carry restrictions under current law.

Some say the bar provision is too much and may kill the bill in the House or maybe some compromise will be reached. It's a step in the right direction for 2nd Amendment rights - repealing the permit requirement would make it perfect. I hope it passes though - would make carry much easier.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links