Is this the Industry Standard?

This is a discussion on Is this the Industry Standard? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it standard practice in the firearm industry to not allow loaded weapons inside the gun store?? All of the shops that I have been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Industry Standard?

Is this the Industry Standard?

Is it standard practice in the firearm industry to not allow loaded weapons inside the gun store??
    All of the shops that I have been to in town has a "no loaded weapons sign".
    You figure they would be a little more gun friendly.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

2. Remove Ads

The range I go to just asks that concealed weapons remain concealed...
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

This issue has been hashed out here quite a bit.

When I first started to cc about a year ago, I was very confused.

Here's what I learned: concealed is concealed.

That sign is for any guns you are bringing in for returns, repair, valuation, trades, etc.

Personally, I just go in and do my business. You don't announce your ccw, and go about your business. Don't ask. Don't tell.

If I want my ccw-of-the-day repaired or need to get it out, I unload it before entering the store.

Administrator
    Its not a matter of being gun friendly, but a matter of adhering to the basic rules of gun safety. No gun shop wants the bad press of an A/D in their shop.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    No, it's not an industry standard. Some stores do it because of insurance purposes. Some simply do not want to risk someone with unknown gun knowledge/skills and judgment from drawing a loaded weapon and possibly having a negligent discharge. Stores around here generally requires guns to be unloaded unless on the shooting range. If they don't have a range most are not posted one way or the other.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

These are the people who should know a responsible gun owner is not the one you need to be concerned about.
    I can see some criminal, ha we can't go in this place its a no gun zone.

My store's sign says "Keep Concealed Weapons Concealed". When I go in I just throw on my sash and give my ccw badge a flash and I'm all good.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I was working a gun show once. A guy approached me and said he was in a gun club that did monthly get togethers of meetings and shooting. He said I should give them a try. Later in the conversation he said they only allowed guns on the range and not in the meetings. I asked him why and he said no guns, no accidents. I then asked what about people with CPL's and he replied no guns at all. At that point I politely ended the conversation and went on my way. The hypocrisy was unbelievable. Concealed does mean concealed. Most of the time the signs are meant for people bringing in guns in their bags and cases but the left of center gun people are out there.

What I am seeing is:
    Mostly nothing
    Unload guns before entering store. (Mostly pawn shops)
    Guns must be unloaded and cased, except CCW.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    Later in the conversation he said they only allowed guns on the range and not in the meetings. I asked him why and he said no guns, no accidents. I then asked what about people with CPL's and he replied no guns at all. At that point I politely ended the conversation and went on my way. The hypocrisy was unbelievable. .

I've read similar a few times...does this mean that CCers dont trust each other? Or that regular gun owners dont trust CCers? Or, other?

I mean, how can we be fighting to keep our rights when hypocritically, we dont trust 'most other' people to carry guns? (Just one interpretation of Landor's conversation)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Here, some do; some don't.
    In some stores the owners/employees are armed; some are not.

I think you have to look at it from the store's perspective. It's their house. Their house has a lot of valuables that others may want to take away. All of us know that there are a bunch of yahoos out there carying guns. I feel it's the store's right to ask that loaded firearms not be brought inside. And I can respect that. I think I can make it from the car to thier door without being mugged.

Look at it this way: If you had a lot of desirable items in your house, would you let armed strangers nonchalantly come strolling through your front door? I bet not. And if a friend of mine asked me not to carry in his house, I wouldn't. I wouldn't pitch a fit and call off a perfectly good friendship.

So the next time you see a "no-guns" sign on a business, if they have what you want, comply and buy. Or drive clear across town just so you can keep "packin'."

I'd hate to get trespassed out of a perfectly good gun store because I was stubborn.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by sixball View Post
    These are the people who should know a responsible gun owner is not the one you need to be concerned about.
    I can see some criminal, ha we can't go in this place its a no gun zone.
    If all were responsible there wouldn't be an issue. I have had customers trying holsters with loaded weapons, lay their loaded weapons on the counter to "see if it will fit my holster" while looking at a new gun, want to trade and hand me a loaded firearm while telling me "it ain't loaded".

Unfortunately, everyone who owns a firearm is not responsible with one.

Our shop does not have a no loaded firearms policy but if the actions described above continue to get more frequent we may, unfortunately have to adopt one.
    NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post

Here's what I learned: concealed is concealed.

That sign is for any guns you are bringing in for returns, repair, valuation, trades, etc.

Personally, I just go in and do my business. You don't announce your ccw, and go about your business. Don't ask. Don't tell.

This is a good policy in general for anyplace that you go-- excluding federal and state locations named in law. This is one reason why proper concealment is so important.

Cool

It's the shop owner's property and he makes the rules for his own reasons. A property owner's "right". It's your right to go elsewhere.

I do not frequent gun shops that require CCW permit holders to disarm.
    There are plenty of other gun shops that merely ask that CC remain that way. I have no problem with that...it is what the law asks anyway.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links