CCW to the rescue.

CCW to the rescue.

This is a discussion on CCW to the rescue. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is supposed to be from Ohio of all states. The CCW seems to do a nice job of keeping his gun hidden by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW to the rescue.

CCW to the rescue.

This is supposed to be from Ohio of all states. The CCW seems to do a nice job of keeping his gun hidden by the other clerk until he needs it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrdbSJVSVM

This was in another tread
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I DID NOT watch it AGAIN because of the music. Thanx(?) --------

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar
    I, however, did watch it again.

I shut off the sound first, though.

The only problem I saw was that he almost covered that little girl while firing at the BG. If that was me and my daughter on the other side of the counter, I would have reamed him about that. OTOH, I would have likely been getting away faster with my daughter in my arms than she did.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i dint like the fact that he shot so close to the lady and kid on the other hand cant belive when the mother see the situation she had time to get down out of the line of fire from the bad guy but sheepl you know looked like it was just another day to her she didnt even get the kid to the far side away from the bg makes you wounder what she was thinking if i was the guy behind the counter dont know if i could cofadantly shoot that close to her and the young one

The lady with the kid seen the BG and didn't move. That is her own stupid fault. Yeah the guy shouldn't have fired as close to the lil girl as he did but if you watch slower he was never in more than a 45degree angle of the line of fire. She was more indanger of return fire if the BG would have fired back.

In MN that desk clerk would be in jail--the threat had ended, the bad guy was retreating, so by our laws regarding use of lethal force he was clearly in the wrong. Pure and simple a bad shoot were it MN. He'd be in criminal trouble, then face civil suit from the "upstanding citizen" he wounded.

Added to that was his stupidity in endangering that woman and child...it is not their burden to get out of his way, it is his to not endanger them. Even the muzzle blast from a .40 at that distance could injure their eyesight or hearing. Edited to add--this was a stupid move whether MN, OH or wherever; the BG was running away, as in retreating, so why endanger two innocents!

All in all this is not a situation to use to glorify CCW.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; May 22nd, 2006 at 08:25 PM.

Senior Moderator
    I guess its a good thing that the shooter was in Ohio instead of Mn. The cops there called it a good shoot and charged the perp with aggravated assault.At least it'll be awhile before the BG trys to hold someone else up at gunpoint.

The perp might have fared better in Mn.

I am glad that the BG got what he deserved but I don't 100% support the shooting. I do agree that a better thought of safety could have been used.

I watched the clip a few dozen times and these are my observations.

1) CCW did a nice job staying calm at the beginning of the altercation.
    2) CCW did a great job moving closer to the perp, drawing his weapon, and THEN moving around her to prevent being seen raising the weapon.
    3) My initial reaction was that he did not take due care or consideration to the child and mother...but after rewatching it I believe the camera angle may be skewing the perception here. If the camera was positioned DIRECTLY behind his back we may notice that he did indeed have a clear shot. Everything else he did was textbook...I'm not convinced he would have chanced shooting the child/mother.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I agree with WJP9. That is what I got out of the film.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Pretty slick the way he used the other clerk to cover his draw, once he had pulled the gun, he could not afforded a Mexican standoff with the kid there, I think the choice was to do nothing or to shoot, I am surprised the perp lived, his shooting was pretty good.

I disagree JimmyC

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    In MN that desk clerk would be in jail--the threat had ended, the bad guy was retreating, so by our laws regarding use of lethal force he was clearly in the wrong. Pure and simple a bad shoot were it MN. He'd be in criminal trouble, then face civil suit from the "upstanding citizen" he wounded.

Added to that was his stupidity in endangering that woman and child...it is not their burden to get out of his way, it is his to not endanger them. Even the muzzle blast from a .40 at that distance could injure their eyesight or hearing. Edited to add--this was a stupid move whether MN, OH or wherever; the BG was running away, as in retreating, so why endanger two innocents!

All in all this is not a situation to use to glorify CCW.
    Are you saying because the BG turned and ran while he was being shot that action makes it wrong? If the clerk had followed him out of the place and chased him shooting then yes he would be in trouble. But shooting at him in the store, bank, motel, whatever it is I don't think puts him in trouble. The BG could turn and shoot at any time during his escape thus the treat remained active IMHO. The clerk stopped shooting when the BG exited the office, in-other-words when the treat ended.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I am glad so many here would have been so calm and thoughtful under this kind of stress. Hindsight is Twenty/Twenty. We can critique and criticize all we want in hindsight. I think the young man did an admirable job under the circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links