Would force have been ok to us here? - Page 6

Would force have been ok to us here?

This is a discussion on Would force have been ok to us here? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Are you that bad of a shot that you think everybody else is? I'll say it short and sweet and then ...

View Poll Results: To/Not to shoot?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shot if safe backdrop

38 30.65%
  • Dont engage due to only wielding

38 30.65%
  • Engage because there is a gun wielded

48 38.71%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Would force have been ok to us here?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Are you that bad of a shot that you think everybody else is?
    I'll say it short and sweet and then exit this nonsense filled conversation;

I happen to be a trained SWAT sharpshooter with some of the best equipment and training money can buy; and there is no way in Hades I'd shoot somebody with a gun in the victim's face with a precision rifle let alone a pistol. It does not matter that I could hit the bad guy; I know I can. There are a lot more factors to consider.
    "Just blame Sixto"

PM
    I voted to shoot if there was clean shot the idea is they are showing guns and I beleive they intend to use them so to shoot would be within the law of SD; that said --- end result is the walked out with no one shot and they did not shoot. The issue is am I fast enough to drop both BGs before one drops me or someone one else? So; maybe I need to rethink my vote!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsanchez View Post
    I dont want too spoil the subject, But I tought Guns are not allow in banks

In that case I will just be a good witness since I respect the laws

I do apologize if, I offend anyone
    Guns Are Allowed In Most Banks Unless They Are Posted I Actually Have Picked My Personal Bank On the ones who have no posted signs as for work I disarm in the banks that are posted.(there are not many though)
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Davensquirt's response is the ONLY smart move in these situations: The chances of these A-holes actually executing everyone in the bank is very slim, but the chances of you getting injured/killed while "protecting" the bank's money is HUGE.

And heaven forbid if the shoot-out that you began results in an innocent party's death; whether it's from your own bullets, or from one of the POS cockroach's weapons.

-Bill

And I would never draw my weapon to protect any valuables!!! The only reason I would ever draw is to protect life! Things can be replaced and for a bank they have insurance on there money so that is not my concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    My initial thought is based on my years of military training, take the threat out immediately. However, my actions in a setting like that will be dependent upon the many variables that can occur in this situation.

There's no way I'll know exactly what I'll do until I'm presented with that situation. I only hope a combination of what I've been trained mixed with good ole common sense would get me through this scenario unscathed.

Reading everyone's posts on this forum regarding "what we would do" scenarios is great food for thought. I love seeing things from other peoples perspective.
    Yeah when I heard about this it got me thinking (What would I do???) Honestly im not sure but I did want to get other peoples input on it as I work this problem in my head.

VIP Member
    Boy, I'd have to be very convinced someone was gonna die before I'd draw my weapon... so many variables. Unfortunately, the BG would probably have to be shooting before I'd get involved but like I said, so many variables to consider!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post
    I would be worried about the heavy coat. If your trying to hide, you don't really need a winter jacket to do it. Perhaps they could have had some sort of armor underneath? I suppose its worth considering. I'm a decent shot, but i don't think i can take down two BG's with head-shots...

Well the coats are not to out of place as of here of late. We got a foot a snow like a week ago. But this is also a thought that has been in my head since then what if they had a "chicken plate"?

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    this is not an idpa stage...this is real and the cardboard targets shoot back...

and may have an accomplice in the bank...it is not uncommon for criminals to use a scout to enter the scene before them and scope it out for potential problems...

you also risk law enforcement intervention with you in a bank being robbed with your gun deployed...now unless you have also deployed your sash and ccw badge as recognized by mall ninjas everywhere...you may be in for a world of pain...
    As for this these are banks where every employee there knows me and who I am and they all know and trust that I am supposed to be there. I would re-holster if the threats where subdued and wait for the LEO's to arrive.

Thanks to everyone who put in feed back. Will keep checking in and keep the training going(which has not stopped since i got into shooting). Its good to hear what people think they might do.

Having had a chance to mull this over for a day or so the more I think about it the more I think it would depend on the number of customers in the bank. If its packed full, I think chances are good they wont shoot anyone and the chances might most be in favor of not firing. I would be far more fearful if it was just me and the teller in there at the time, that sounds more like a recipe for being executed for being a witness.

The heavy coats...like the OP said, we got over a foot of snow here last week, the most snow EVER in recorded history, the previous record being 7.8 inches in 24 hours. My point being that Hell had frozen over and anything was possible!

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I'm going to get you to write all my posts for me. You do a much better job putting my thoughts into words than I do.
    backpedalling is unattractive and at best revealing bubba...nothing in retsups post mirrors your sentiment at all...your posts are pro shoot regardless...retsup is looking for a no choice situation as most here are...

youre not the only one who wonders why some people carry...or what their actual motive to do so is...its very much a 2 way street...

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have not read all of the replies, so perhaps someone has already mentioned this, but what about a back-up guy among the customers, pretending to be a customer, but who is ready to back-shoot anyone who engages the visibly armed robbers? I am not saying one should not engage the robbers, but anyone who does so needs to keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    ... what about a back-up guy among the customers, pretending to be a customer, but who is ready to back-shoot anyone who engages the visibly armed robbers?
    Entirely possible. It's critically important to realize that what we see is only part of the reality occurring at that moment, particularly when it's possible there are multiple players in the crime. It's entirely possible there are "support" crew out there. It's one of the risks of engaging the visible felon(s).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll say it short and sweet and then exit this nonsense filled conversation;

I happen to be a trained SWAT sharpshooter with some of the best equipment and training money can buy; and there is no way in Hades I'd shoot somebody with a gun in the victim's face with a precision rifle let alone a pistol. It does not matter that I could hit the bad guy; I know I can. There are a lot more factors to consider.
    You mean you can't shoot, sever the BG's spinal cord, and drop him like a sack of rocks like they do in the movies? I'm astounded!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how many think they will have the time to deploy their weapons on a BG that has the drop on you. I truly wish you all the best, but it doesn't seem feasible without some kind of physical altercation taking place. Who am I to say though, you might be slicker than snot on a door knob, but I'm thinking that if the threat isn't directly on you and you draw you pistol you'll most likely cost some poor innocent souls their lives as well. As CC folks we not only own it to ourselves and our families to make good judgment calls while CC, but we owe it to the innocent folks around us that could be hurt or killed as a direct result of our actions as well. JM2Cs

GBK
    I didn't read past this post, becsause it summed up what I was thinking. Agreed GBK
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links