Before going in to get a CC

This is a discussion on Before going in to get a CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC and i'm going to try and go in soon and get my license to carry. My record is clean, besides a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Before going in to get a CC

Before going in to get a CC

I live in NC and i'm going to try and go in soon and get my license to carry. My record is clean, besides a recent speeding ticket (sports bikes, they'll kill your or your wallet). Seeing as that doesn't make me a felon nor have i been convicted of any felon and NC is a RTC state, and i'll be 21 in march (assuming i wait until after my 21ist birthday), i should be allowed to take the course and apply for my permit. Is there something i'm missing or need to know?
    And chances are this is a stupid question, but if you have a license to CC does that also entitle you to carry open?
    Bing

2. Remove Ads

I live in AZ. I turn 21 in March too. As to my knowledge a speeding ticket won't keep you from getting your permit. I took the class last year through my college and I am taking it again next month. IDK about NC laws but AZ you don't need a permit to open carry. check out handgunlaw.us

I live in North Carolina, and have my CCW permit. Your speeding ticket will not in anyway keep you from getting your permit. NC is a shall-issue state, which means if you pass the background check (no felonies, domestic abuse, mental problems, etc) they shall issue you a permit after you take the class, apply at your local Sheriff's office, pay the fee ($90 in my county), and wait (can take up to 90 days or so, but probably 6-8 weeks). You are not required to prove a need to carry. Your CCW has nothing to do with open carry. NC is an open carry state. You don't have to have a permit of any kind to open carry. People are also free to freak if you do open carry and call the cops. The results will vary. Whether you open carry or carry concealed, read and know the laws! Good luck!
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Feb 27 I take my CCW course
    March 1st I walk in apply for a purchase permit and CCW permit

i dont believe your missing anything
    and I can't speak on behalf of NC, but Michigan you can OC at 18
    -Jim

Thanks bigbear, that was helpful. And i'm well aware of people freaking. I use to be part of an airsoft team and we'd play in warehouses and such, and i can't tell you how many times we had cops called on us. However, there are some times were i believe the best offense is a good defense. Ive been in situations where the simple brandishing of a weapon would have stopped a fight. Which is my goal, keep the fight from happening, and if it does arise, end it...if it must be ended with force, don't be on the receiving end. I pray to God i don't have to use a weapon on someone, but i'm not so foolish as to think i'm safe when i leave my house...or even when i am in my house. Thus the reason i sleep with a 38 next to me.

One last question. After reading VA's law 15.2-915, am i correct in saying that VA is also an OC state, thus going to school and work with my handgun is not a problem, (school being in NC and work VA)?
    Bing
    "War does not decide who is right, but who is left."

Take a good gun, not a Galesi or some other cheap old favorite jamming junk gun. A good-enough gun will do. I had to finish my shooting with an instructor's little Walther .22 pistol, which makes me want to get one too. Scan web sites, including "You Tube" video shows, and forums and read and study some gun magazines to get some opinions and relevant questions for class. I took and passed mine at the Miami Valley Shooting Grounds target range at Vandalia, Ohio; It cost $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    One last question. After reading VA's law 15.2-915, am i correct in saying that VA is also an OC state, thus going to school and work with my handgun is not a problem, (school being in NC and work VA)?
    Bing
    Depends what you mean by "school". As far as I am aware, having a gun on most school property here will get you a quick trip to the pokey. Even in your vehicle. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not ever expect to have a CCW again. I do believe that Va is an open carry state from what I have read. Also, brandishing can get you in trouble, too. There are specific instances where use of lethal force may be applied. This should be covered in your CCW class, or ask for your money back. In NC, your employer can forbid you to have weapons in your vehicle on company property (sucks, I know). I don't know if that is permitted in Va or not.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    Ive been in situations where the simple brandishing of a weapon would have stopped a fight. Which is my goal, keep the fight from happening, and if it does arise, end it...if it must be ended with force, don't be on the receiving end. I pray to God i don't have to use a weapon on someone, but i'm not so foolish as to think i'm safe when i leave my house...or even when i am in my house. Thus the reason i sleep with a 38 next to me.
    I really get worried with comments like this, personally. You do not use a firearm to break up a "fight" (unless your definition of fight is much different than mine) -- a CCW does not make you a LEO. I don't know about NC, but in VA, brandishing a firearm is a Class 1 misdemeanor and if you're in or within 1000ft of a school, a class 6 felony. You are only permitted to use a firearm to end a threat of deadly force. Using it to intimidate or anything less than ending a threat of deadly force will buy you serious trouble.

If there is an altercation, especially in which you are not involved in, your response should be to retreat and call law enforcement.

Not trying to preach or lecture - if your motives are for genuine self-defense, more power to you. If you're looking to be Superman - consider leaving the weapon at home before you destroy your life or that of an innocent victim.

Good luck to you. Be safe.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    VA open carry OK; if property owner objects, you must leave or face a trespassing charge. Employers can prohibit weapons at the workplace, including stored in your car (and they can make giving them permission to search a condition of employment, too). You do NOT have to work there - but if you wish to continue working for them, you must play by their rules. Brandishing will get you in lots of trouble - unless you're threatened with deadly force, in which case it will be less trouble for you than actually shooting someone. I recommend improved situational awareness and avoidance of situations like that in the first place. K-12 schools here are off-limits unless you're dropping a kid off and stay in the car; college students risk expulsion (and legal action at Wm & Mary I think).

This from a non-lawyer: check Handgunlaw.us for a more definitive answer (or the laws themselves, of course).

...Ive been in situations where the simple brandishing of a weapon would have stopped a fight. Which is my goal, keep the fight from happening, and if it does arise, end it...if it must be ended with force, don't be on the receiving end....
    This worries me: when you say 'fight', are you speaking of a fistfight? Pay close attention in class to the 'when you can draw' portions. No slam: you've obviously been in some tight situations and have yet to receive concealed carry law training. But there are very strict limits on when you can pull out your weapon, and doing so to stop a fistfight is pretty hard to defend unless there is a great disparity in force (think "thugs vs grandma"). I'm not trying to make a blanket statement here, but rather am trying to urge caution and preparation so you don't overstep yourself.

And "if the fight arises, end it"? Instead, how 'bout "run like heck"? Many of the rules you've trained by in the past may not be as applicable if you're armed: keep your presuppositions on the table for examination during your class! Again, no slam: just wanting to point out needs for extra attentiveness when you're in class.

Wish you the best - and welcome to the forum! I've received great benefit from this group, and I hope you will as well.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    VA open carry OK; if property owner objects, you must leave or face a trespassing charge. Employers can prohibit weapons at the workplace, including stored in your car (and they can make giving them permission to search a condition of employment, too). You do NOT have to work there - but if you wish to continue working for them, you must play by their rules. Brandishing will get you in lots of trouble - unless you're threatened with deadly force, in which case it will be less trouble for you than actually shooting someone. I recommend improved situational awareness and avoidance of situations like that in the first place. K-12 schools here are off-limits unless you're dropping a kid off and stay in the car; college students risk expulsion (and legal action at Wm & Mary I think).
    Bigbear is correct about NC (I'm from there and travel there very often). NC has some very odd gun laws (like no weapon allowed at a parade OC or CC w/ permit if you are either a spectator or participant ;no weapon allowed at a place that charges for admission; no weapon allowed in place that serves alcohol period).

Paymeister is correct with regards to VA (been here 12+ years). There is currently a bill in the house and senate that would keep employers from being able to prohibit firearms in employee locked cars on their premises. There are MANY new gun laws being debated in VA right now. Currently, you can OC in a place that serves alcohol and you can legally consume alcohol while OC (there is a law against carring a weapon while under the influence of alcohol, but the definition of under the influence is open to interpretation outside of DUI or drunk in public type of charges). There is a bill being considered right now that would allow CC in place that serves alcohol as long as the individual does NOT consume any alcohol (which is the way it should be in my opinion...makes much more sense).

This just goes to show that you MUST study the gun and carry laws of the states that you live and frequent. There are some odd laws and they are not necessarily logical. They also change every year, so you have to stay current. Legal and justified use of lethal force varies from state to state. My CCW class did not discuss laws at all. I had to study them on my own. Also study case law to see how the laws were interpreted and applied in actual incidents. You will be very surprised.

Posessing lethal force is a huge responsibility. Be educated, prepared, and know what you are getting into. It's not just as simple as pass a test and stick a 40 in your pants and pull it out when something goes down. Be mentally prepared to maintain good situational awareness, avoid potentially bad situations to the degree possible, de-escalate as much as possible, retreat if you can, and pull your weapon and shoot only if you have no other choice.

In VA, the degree to which a person can defend themself must be commensurate to the threat (lethal threat = lethal SD force). A weapon (knife, bat, gun, etc.) or desparity of force (3 on 1, major difference in size, disabled person. etc.) can justify it. Pulling a gun out to stop a fight (outside of the factors above) is bad news. Do not carry a weapon unless you are prepared (educationally and mentally) to use it or it will be taken from you and used against you at some point. Do not pull it unless you are justified in doing so...in which case you fear for your life and must use it.

Sorry for the long post. When you make the decision to carry, you have a huge responsibility with much to learn. We all had to learn these things. Glad you are coming here to get information...it is a good place to learn.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Good on you for planning, just be aware that there is a ton of things in your posts that are really poor judgment calls when you get your permit. You need to pay real close attention when you cover the NC laws on use of deadly force and the laws pertaining to concealed carry.

You don't need to wait for your 21st to take the class, so as long as your ready, go for it. Don't cheat yourself by taking a gun that you wouldn't carry. Taking a 22 is permissible in some classes but not all. It's the instructors call. Write down your questions and don't rely on memory to get them brought up. The class is a full day and it's easy to forget questions.

What part of NC are you in?

Good luck and stay safe!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    You shouldn't have any problem
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm with Bullseye, try to take the class ASAP, and turn the paper work in on your Bday. Legally, you can OC if you are over 18......but......take a good bit of time to look into the law and know it. The brandishing part is a no no unless you are legal to use it to end the threat. All that should be covered in the class. But basically you have to be....

In fear of your life.
    Fear for someone else's life (this one is very tricky, and too much to cover here).
    Fear of great bodily harm.
    Fear of sexual assault.

If the offense does not rise to one of the above a firearm is not the right tool for the job.

I'm a big OC advocate, but I don't OC to "break up fights". Hopefully it was just a poor choice of example on your part. And in NC you have a right to OC, but need a permit to CC. Though the permit makes OC easier in a lot of ways. Particularly in a car.

Also, ask the instructor if there are firearms that are not permitted. Some of them do not allow certain firearms in their classes. And find out how much ammo you will need. It varies some by class. What area are you in? Maybe someone had a good class and can point you in the right direction. Any specific questions just ask.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Click forums

Read through the NC and VA forums.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Good luck and follow the advice given. Be sure your head is a total complete and secure w/ loctite screw on job, torqued to spec's. This is not FUN AND GAMES. It's very serious, as in lives. Just to let you know..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links