CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

This is a discussion on CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 As a Kid i never thought about it. I always associated guns with cops and robbers. And if you were carrying ...

View Poll Results: As a kid, did you think that citizens would be free to CCW someday?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I knew it would happen all along; I am not surprised at all.

45 28.30%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, but I am not really surprised that we can now.

30 18.87%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised now.

12 7.55%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised and exceedingly thankful to the powers that be (the state governments), and to those (such as the NRA, etc.) who made this new freedom possible to all of us.

72 45.28%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    As a Kid i never thought about it. I always associated guns with cops and robbers. And if you were carrying a gun without a badge you were a robber.

Now I know that that isn't true and am immensely happy that we can CC.

BUT I learned all that crap from watching TV. So it goes to show how kids are being brainwashed into associating guns with bad guys.
    I agree Dsee, but I think we can also associate watching TV shows with brainwashing everyone to not only "associate guns with bad guys", but also associating the carrying of a firearm with something that only a police officer would do -- which can be equally as damaging to us when the average non-gun oriented citizen thinks about CCW laws (i.e., "Only cops need guns...").

-Bill

2. Remove Ads

To tell the truth, I never thought I would carry at all.

About 2 years ago the desire awoke in me and my wife, she took the CHL class before me and encouraged me..

When I buy a new handgun she wants to shoot it and if she really likes it she tend to take it for herself and tells me to buy another one for myself.

Texas made it possible for this to happen and we are grateful.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I grew up in an OC State. Most adults I knew carried. My uncle was the Sheriff and ... [well-fill-in-the-blank].

If there are any surprises for me, it is the limit on pocket knives, now. So, why are the rules on knives getting tighter at the same time gun bans are relaxing, nationwide?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I am only 22, so I've always been exposed to the fact that American citizens are allowed to CC. However, until i actually got my own permit, i had no idea how many of us actually take advantage of this right. Heck, the first time I went to the sheriffs office to follow the necessary process, i was greeted by about 5 gentlemen all renewing their permits.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    As a Kid i never thought about it. I always associated guns with cops and robbers. And if you were carrying a gun without a badge you were a robber.

Now I know that that isn't true and am immensely happy that we can CC.

BUT I learned all that crap from watching TV. So it goes to show how kids are being brainwashed into associating guns with bad guys.
    Great point..... When I was a kid(we wore kid's)living in a small southern town, it never came to mind about carring one..... But having moved back after over 45 years, I won't leave home without it. There's an influx of undesirables that have started to populate this town as well as the south in general. Amazing what's changing around here. Not to mention how being in the military changed my mind set on what's safe.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

As a youth to my own view by life experience only three kinds of people carried guns on the streets:

* Outlaws (Criminals and other citizens who were carrying to protect as against momentary criminals and predators...Both carry types as a rule being unlawful in action)
    * Cops
    * Actors on TV and in movies

It was all varying shades of grey...

In my day around my region (70s DC and mid 80s to mid 90s MD @ PG County and then MoCo) outlaws might not always be bad people all the time and/or as toward everyone, even as they all were in the eye of law ('System') criminal.

As well police (cops and po-po) were not at all by view nor factual experiences always helpful or even good, and only suckas believed in that "To Protect and Serve" mess talked about on cop TV shows and in the movies.
    Nobody trusted a police for nothing even if he/she was family...And it was mandatory to run if you saw one even if you weren't doing anything wrong, which in my day meant literally nothing as you still would and could find yourself hemmed up or even jailed on some BS. Survival meant you hid or put distance between you and whomever. Period.
    People in lockup, detention centers, jail and prison weren't always guilty of the crime they were convicted of but always with no exception they always were persons who 'got caught'.

While TV and movies then pretty well accurately portrayed the dynamics of carry by citizens of all sort including legal carry by PIs, licensed people, and former cops (nobody used 'LEO' as a term in the day) too.

Growing up into my early 20s I'd never thought twice about laws, permits and what's lawful or not. Didn't care either. Survival was the rule, by any means necessary. Still is...Only now I view law and legality as being
    I'd been carrying arms as an outlaw since age 8 at instruction of my mom for specific intent of self preservation (defense) against all the streets had to offer. No other thought beyond that had ever entered my mind.

Not until I'd decided to purposefully and physically remove myself from that world (so as to survive muchless thrive), settle down and in my later 20s get married...Which all resulted in change of my view and outlook. I'd been carrying arms of all manner for over two decades prior to securing my first 'permit'.

I've been lawful acting in every way ever since though, and now espouse same to others including those outlaws as from my past.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    As a "kid" I never gave it a moments thought and neither did anyone else I knew. It wasn't on our radar and I would be surprised if it was for anyone.
    I was going to say something very similar to this, but you said it very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Wow. Interesting statement Havegunjoe. My neighborhood must have been quite different from your neighborhood.

In my neck of the woods, we played with all manner of cap guns, cork guns, BB guns, pellet guns, plastic bullet firing guns, etc., along with enjoying our fair share of playing 'Cowboys and Indians', 'Cops and Robbers', 'War Games', or just simply shooting cans, bottles, targets, etc.

And part of all that, at least to me, was wishing and hoping that I could someday actually legally carry a gun (even though I never thought that that day would ever really come), whether as a policeman or as a private citizen.

Due to your jaw-dropping surprise that anyone could or would ever possibly think such thoughts as a kid, may ask what kind of neighborhood you grew up in, and when?

-Bill
    Bill, I can't speak for havegunjoe, but I think you may be loading havegunjoe's statement with something that isn't there.

The OP's question and poll were about whether, as children, we thought CC would be legal and whether we thought the CC laws would ever change to make it legal to carry concealed. I can honestly say that, as a child and even for some of my teen years, I simply wasn't aware of gun laws. I was a child during the 60's. I had multiple pairs of 6-guns, paper tape cap guns, a revolver with those individual percussion caps that slipped down over posts in the cylinder. I had a wooden M16-oid cut out of a plank that my grandfather made down in the shop. I had a plastic M16 from Mattel. I had a spy radio that turned into a rifle. I had a lever action carbine that shot spring-loaded bullets and ejected empty cartridges, and it came with its own pretend popper target. And my prizes - my first BB gun - a lever-action Daisy with a front bead sight, my second BB gun - a lever action carbine replica with a working hammer and iron sights adjustable for elevation, and my air-operated 1911 replica BB pistol. My grandfather on my father's side had his father's 1923 Remington Model 11 12ga, and went hunting with my grandfather on my mom's side. On rainy Saturdays, I watched (mostly) John Wayne westerns and war movies, and played with my G.I. Joes, who were all Marines and came equipped with M1911's and M1's. I also played with my Fort Apache set and my plastic army.

I spent my teen years in a military boarding school, because my parents wanted me to get a good education. I earned my expert medals with .22LR and 7.62 NATO, took five years of Military Science, and competed on the travel rifle team and IDR squad.

My point is that I was a kid. I simply wasn't aware of the laws regarding carry. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't have guns. That the gun laws weren't on my radar, and that no one I knew was dreaming about concealed carry, doesn't mean we were somehow deprived or in an anti-gun environment; we simply weren't aware of adult issues that didn't concern us. To be honest, I think awareness of the carry laws, as children, is completely separate from whether or not we grew up in a gun culture.

The only laws I WAS aware of, as a child, were the ones that affected me, directly. I grew up in Memphis, TN. I remember the sanitation workers' strike, race riots, the assassination of Dr. King, nightly curfews, and the implementation of forced busing and integration. Gun laws and carry didn't affect me. Race relations, curfews and busing did. Something else I remember, too - war protests and ROTC units, but I didn't really understand that, yet.

My grandfathers hunted together. I wanted to go with them so badly. Jay, a kid in my classes, took time off for dove season every year, with his dad. My dad didn't own a gun, much less hunt. My grandfather took me fishing, but said, "When you're older" if I asked about hunting. When my mom's dad died, my dad's dad put away his shotgun and never went hunting again. I guess, if there was anything I wondered if I would ever do, it was hunting. I never did.

I decided, last year, that once I have a regular income, again, my next acquisition will be a long-distance/deer rifle, and I will learn to hunt. My fathers are all gone, so it's up to me to learn for myself. Sorry for rambling, but it's all kind of tied up together.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

VIP Member
    I never really thought about it when I was a kid, we only had long guns in the house......no pistols, so no opportunity to carry concealed.

My dad was built like a prizefighter and he had a shotgun, so as a kid might think, I figured he could handle any situation. Of course this was in the 50's and 60's when we weren't exposed to the level of crime that exists today. Frankly I didn't give much thought to the idea when I was a kid.

As I grew older, finished college, married, and joined a leo reserve unit, we could CC anyway. Now that society exists as it does, I hate that crime has risen but glad that we can protect ourselves more adequately. I presume, in a manner, that the criminals were essentially the lobbyist that got concealed carry laws in affect.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I never thought about it as a teenager, or even as an older adult. Started thinking about it in 2004 when I was 66, the world was becoming scary-dangerous, and I wanted to get a gun and carry concealed.

I was really surprised that in most places you need official permission by the local and/or state, and/or federal government, and there were all kinds of confusing and sometimes really dumb rules.

I always assumed that "...shall not be infringed." meant "...shall not be infringed." Silly me!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357 View Post
    Bill, I can't speak for havegunjoe, but I think you may be loading havegunjoe's statement with something that isn't there.

The OP's question and poll were about whether, as children, we thought CC would be legal and whether we thought the CC laws would ever change to make it legal to carry concealed. I can honestly say that, as a child and even for some of my teen years, I simply wasn't aware of gun laws.
    Hi Tom,

I guess I may have a slightly more appreciative attitude towards firearm ownership and concealed carry than some folks who may have been born and raised in a free state; as a child I lived in New Jersey, then we moved on to California, then to British Columbia, then to Ireland.

Now, anyone who is even vaguely familiar with any of the firearm laws in those particular places will know that the word "draconian" simply does not properly describe their misguided and foolish gun laws; such laws are a complete insult to freedom loving people everywhere.

That is why, at a very early age, I began to cherish (and to think about) firearm freedom (and now that I live in Mississippi, I am in seventh heaven. )

But some (not all) of those folks who have been born and raised in a free part of our country, such as Wyoming, Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Florida, etc., may not even fully understand what I'm talking about, as they have known no other gun laws except their own sensible ones, and they've only heard the stories about harsh and scary gun laws of other states/countries, but they never had to actually live under the heavy and oppressive thumb of such laws…

-Bill

My early years were spent in Oregon. My mother said I couldn't have a pistol untill I was 16, and that I waszn't aloud to carry it except while hunting and target shooting. I started carrying concealed at 18 because of threat on my life. Then joined Military, I carried a Pistol sometimes while overseas. When I returned to states (1969) I carried all the time, sometimes concealed and sometimes not. Moved to Washington in 1972 and got my Washington CPL. While I was growing up I just assumed that when I was an adult I would carry.

When I was a kid I don't remember thinking about it, dad and granddad were leo's and always carried.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Received my LTCF a few months after my 22nd birthday. Being as young as I am, 24 now, I always assumed it was legal.

Administrator
    I started carrying the day that I was old enough to legally carry.
    That was before PA was a "Shall Issue" state.
    The Sheriff had to sign off to "OK" you to carry.
    Since the officers at the County Sheriffs Dept bought their guns the same place that I shopped...that cut through the "red tape" if you were a "known" person.

The "carry permit" was a little square of white typewriter paper w/ name/address on it...signed by the Sheriff and a passport type photo stapled to the paper.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    As a kid I grew up with the impression that the average citizen was not legally allowed to carry a firearm or any defensive tool other than pepper spray or a 3" folding knife. I lived in FL from 1995-1998 when concealed carry in that state had already been well established but obviously I didn't know who carried because Florida only allows CC. I never really gave much thought to civilians carrying guns until I grew up. I just always thought that it was against the law on a national level.

I was quite surprised to learn that the state I now live in which is Alaska does not require a permit to carry concealed and I just could not believe that. I spent several months researching it to find any indication that a permit was still required in Anchorage. I could not find anything but still found it in my best interest to obtain the permit just in case I want to do any traveling. Plus I decided to start carrying because I have a long term physical injury to my left leg that prevents me from running for very long or practicing martial arts. Also I almost became a victim a few years back.

Growing up thinking that the average law abiding individual could not carry a gun for self defense to knowing that it is possible depending on where you live is a very comforting feeling for me and I take full advantage of our United States Constitution and will defend it to the death.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links