CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

This is a discussion on CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I grew up in New York City in the 40’s. N.Y. City has a very strict law about handguns and it was not even thought ...

View Poll Results: As a kid, did you think that citizens would be free to CCW someday?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I knew it would happen all along; I am not surprised at all.

45 28.30%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, but I am not really surprised that we can now.

30 18.87%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised now.

12 7.55%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised and exceedingly thankful to the powers that be (the state governments), and to those (such as the NRA, etc.) who made this new freedom possible to all of us.

72 45.28%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

I grew up in New York City in the 40’s. N.Y. City has a very strict law about handguns and it was not even thought of to be able to have one much less carry one concealed. It just wasn’t in the mindset. But l always had a fascination with guns, especially handguns. In the late 60’s, I moved up to Vermont. What a revelation! I bought more guns than I could afford . . . and even with this freedom, I never realized that you could carry concealed or open carry until one day while I was at work, a fellow walked in with his gun open carried. I was surprised and delighted to find that I could do this as well, although I never really needed to. But I did conceal carry at times.

Unfortunately I had to move to Massachusetts to get a better job. Went to the police chief and asked about a gun permit. Said, “Nobody is allowed to carry here”, so I was unable to carry or even possess a handgun. BUMMER!!! My wife and I did get a permit for Pepper Spray. I was shocked and angered that we had to go through all of that just for Pepper Spray.

After I retired we moved to Florida. Guess what I can do now?
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Grew up in California; now live in Virginia. Still thanking God...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    My mother had a severe case of hoplophobia when I was growing up, therefore I never saw a firearm until I was in my 20's. I lived in MD at the time so that was another reason not to carry.

When I moved up here to NH in the early 80's I was surprised and pleased when I heard about the reasonable gun laws. I'm glad other states are taking the same approach.

In my twenties I carried due to doing a lot of hitch hiking while in the service. I never thought any thing about it being illegal at the time. Ive owned guns since I was 13

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I started carrying the day that I was old enough to legally carry.
    That was before PA was a "Shall Issue" state.
    The Sheriff had to sign off to "OK" you to carry.
    Since the officers at the County Sheriffs Dept bought their guns the same place that I shopped...that cut through the "red tape" if you were a "known" person.

The "carry permit" was a little square of white typewriter paper w/ name/address on it...signed by the Sheriff and a passport type photo stapled to the paper.
    Brings back memories. I grew up in PA and at that time the county clerk would issue you a permit to open carry "only", a specific handgun by cal. and serial number at age 18 if you had a hunting or fishing license while actively engaged in one of those activities.
    At 21 you would go to the county sheriff if you lived outside a class B or smaller city within the county. But if you lived within a class B or larger city you had to go to the chief of police. At that time there was no picture required and it was as you said just a small white form typed in. At that time PA was may issue and the sheriffs were good most of the time.
    In the city I and most people I knew that weren't politically connected had to get an attorney to write a letter to the chief after he refused to issue demanding he show just cause. About two weeks after the attorney sent the letter you would receive a call to come down to the station and chief would issue a permit with as cold of a stare as he could muster.
    This went on for years until the NRA, PA Pistol & Rifle Asso., several large gun clubs and a lot of voters spent close to $5,000,000.00 in court fees, lobbying and mail campaigns to pass shall issue and get a common check done by the state police.
    At that time the NRA Mid-Atlantic rep. (I think it was Dr. Allen Krug) was a really sharp guy and wrote a lot of the opinion that was used to get the law passed.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

It's funny, I was born on a commune, though spent much of my childhood in Texas. I grew up in Missouri. Between the two, I thought everyone had guns except my father. Odd thing, he now carries most of the time in NM, finally upgraded from an antique single-shot handgun. I always thought it normal that most people CC.

Now that I have my own family, I feel naked not owning at least one. It just doesn't feel right without one and living in Texas.

New freedom? Hardly. It's an old right.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by sprale View Post
    It's funny, I was born on a commune, though spent much of my childhood in Texas. I grew up in Missouri. Between the two, I thought everyone had guns except my father. Odd thing, he now carries most of the time in NM, finally upgraded from an antique single-shot handgun. I always thought it normal that most people CC.

Now that I have my own family, I feel naked not owning at least one. It just doesn't feel right without one and living in Texas.
    Frankly, if someone told me he was a "Texan", but he didn't own at least one gun, I'd be somewhat inclined to call him a liar; 'cause most likely that person was really from San Fransisco, New York City, or maybe even Fire Island -- possibly even Moscow -- but not likely from Texas...

-Bill

Although I grew up in Boston, I spent summers in South Carolina. My grandfather, a confederate flag waving, heavily tattooed Marine and veteran of both WWII and Korea, carried a 1911 everywhere he went. My dad, a Marine as well carried while we were in SC. I assumed, as a child, that people in Boston were not allowed to carry guns, and people in SC were. I'm not aware of what the laws in SC were at the time, but I know that like today, carrying a concealed weapon in Boston was next to impossible. I know some people in MA that carry, but they are few in far between.

So as a child, I guess I was aware that certain states interpreted the Constitution differently, then as they do today.
    And I'm proud to say I now live in Florida, a very gun friendly state.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    None of the above. Didn't know it was illegal in some places and legal in others until I was in my 20's.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I was born and raised in NY state.

I am old enough to remember when you had to "know someone" to be sure of getting a permit to POSSESS a
    handgun in my small city.
    (even now that place adds requirements to those the state mandates )

Fortunately I now live in PA , a ( mostly ) free Commonwealth.

I hope to live to see unrestricted Possession - and
    Shall Issue CC permits in ALL States.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post

Personally, I was brought up as a teenager in the 1960's and early '70's and, while it would have been my seemingly impossible dream-of-the-century (next to marrying a fashion model) to be able to legally carry a firearm (CC or OC), I never thought -- even in my wildest of dreams - that it would actually be possible to do so some day, and that the carry laws of our country would actually improve, and not degrade, over time.
    Did ya get to marry the fashion model also?

Quote Originally Posted by XsYang View Post
    Did ya get to marry the fashion model also?
    Well, actually, yes I did get to marry a fashion model: My second (current) wife was a New York model for fur coats in the 1970's. (I guess that would not be a very good modeling career in today's PC world, what with crazy old PETA around making trouble! ).

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I grew up in an OC State. Most adults I knew carried. My uncle was the Sheriff and ... [well-fill-in-the-blank].

If there are any surprises for me, it is the limit on pocket knives, now. So, why are the rules on knives getting tighter at the same time gun bans are relaxing, nationwide?
    The US is not a knife society. Go ahead and defend yourself with a knife and find out what happens. If the knife was a weapon of convenience in your own home and you stabbed a perpetrator once our cut him once you may be fine. But heaven forbid you carry a nice lockblade that you deployed rapidly to defend yourself in public and
    sliced the BG up like Swiss Cheese using some Filipino knife fighting technique that you've been studying for years. The DA will have some special expert that will testify how the third slice was the fatal blow and you continued to brutally dismember the BG for 100 more blows and they will show the jury all the pictures and explain how this poor underprivileged youth was trying to set his life straight. He just happen to have a rap sheet dating 10 year back they didn't mention and his mother will cry on the stand for hours about how sweet her child was.
    Most police will tell you to carry a firearm for SD and use your knife to slice your apple.

I grew up in Eastern Kentucky near the WVA and OH border. We always had guns in the house unlocked and ammo available from my earliest memory. Mostly shotguns and rifles. I was given a Springfield single shot 12GA when I was about six. I carried old thing everywhere and even slept with it. It made me feel much more secure than a teddy bear. My dad had a cheap (RG) .22 pistol that he would carry if we traveled. He was a straight as they come law-abiding citizen. He was a Baptist deacon, didn't drink alcohol, never missed church services, but he was serious about protecting his family. He figured his chances of getting in trouble for having a concealed weapon was bout zero since he wasn't about to break the law.

I can remember when I bought my Ruger sinle six .22 pistol. I was about 14 years old, I would wear it about everyday on the farm. On time we called the local sheriff because someone broke our window with a brick. I was running around the property trying to "help" the sheriff find the one that broke our window with my Ruger single six on my hip open carrying. The only thing the Sheriff said was "let's try and take them alive". I was about 14 at the time. Can you imagine what a sheriff was say today!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links