CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years? - Page 4

CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

This is a discussion on CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I grew up in NJ in the 60s and attended high school in NYC in the 70s. We never had any firearms in the home ...

View Poll Results: As a kid, did you think that citizens would be free to CCW someday?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I knew it would happen all along; I am not surprised at all.

45 28.30%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, but I am not really surprised that we can now.

30 18.87%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised now.

12 7.55%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised and exceedingly thankful to the powers that be (the state governments), and to those (such as the NRA, etc.) who made this new freedom possible to all of us.

72 45.28%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I grew up in NJ in the 60s and attended high school in NYC in the 70s. We never had any firearms in the home and I didn't know anybody who did unless their dad was a LEO. I got the itch while visiting a cousin in upstate NY who had a .22 semi-auto rifle when he was 13 or 14.

In those days my high school had a JROTC program, a .22 rimfire range in the basement, and a rifle club and team, right in the middle of Manhattan. I've heard they only use air rifles now.

Of course I had no idea at the time that there were free states where righteous citizens could carry legally. Thankfully, I live in one of those states now (PA).
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

kpw
    Growing up, my dad and my uncles always carried. It was a little tougher to get the permits back then but they were available. I always thought it was like that everywhere.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    New freedom? Hardly. It's an old right.
    Yes, that may be Tubby, but until those new CCW "freedoms" were just recently passed into state law, you could not practice those "old rights". As Ayoob says:

"More than one [person] who posted [online said] to the effect, “I don’t need a permit to carry a gun. The Second Amendment says I can carry a gun any time, anywhere. I don’t need no stinking permit.” Well, there’s a large body of caselaw that says otherwise. People who think that way will find their next argument being made in the prison showers: “No, Bubba! The Bill of Rights says you and your two 300-pound buddies can’t bend me over like this and make me an unwilling participant in sodomy! Nooo….!”"

-Bill

VIP Member
    As kid we did not even lock the front door when gone, do you even think I thought about CCW?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I grew up in a pro-gun household. My dad owned a couple guns, but never really showed that much interest in shooting/much more past that until I started showing interest as a very young man (approx 10-12?). I can still remeber the first time I saw someone open-carrying at a grocery store (I was probable about 7-9 years old?) I just remeber it was a big revolver,and the guy had loud boots (I thought he was a cowboy.)I asked my mom if he was a cowboy ..... I thought when I grow up, I wanna be a cowboy and carry a gun everywhere, hahaha

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links