CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

This is a discussion on CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in your younger days, did you ever think that normal, law-abiding citizens would have the freedom to be able to conceal carry a firearm ...

View Poll Results: As a kid, did you think that citizens would be free to CCW someday?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I knew it would happen all along; I am not surprised at all.

45 28.30%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, but I am not really surprised that we can now.

30 18.87%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised now.

12 7.55%
  • NO, I didn't think we ever would be able to CCW, and I am extremely surprised and exceedingly thankful to the powers that be (the state governments), and to those (such as the NRA, etc.) who made this new freedom possible to all of us.

72 45.28%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

CCW: Are you STILL surprised after all these years?

Back in your younger days, did you ever think that normal, law-abiding citizens would have the freedom to be able to conceal carry a firearm in public? In other words, as a child or a teenager, did you ever feel that we would have this kind of freedom in the 21st century?

Personally, I was brought up as a teenager in the 1960's and early '70's and, while it would have been my seemingly impossible dream-of-the-century (next to marrying a fashion model) to be able to legally carry a firearm (CC or OC), I never thought -- even in my wildest of dreams - that it would actually be possible to do so some day, and that the carry laws of our country would actually improve, and not degrade, over time.

BTW, I've carried on and off since 1996, and I must still walk around with what must appear like a surprised look of delight on my face that CCW is a reality, unlike in 99% of the rest of the "free" world!

2. Remove Ads

The free states once started out exactly that way: a free collection of free men, with liberties just recently paid for in blood.

Only in the past dozen decades have upstanding citizens been criminalized to within an inch of their lives and all rational sanity. And only within the past several decades has general carry of firearms been deemed wholesome as it used to be. We're still fighting the fearful ignorance of the mob, but I think we'll get to a balance at some point.

Yes, I believed we'd get back to some measure of sanity. 100yrs of criminalization seems about right, to realize how pointless it really is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I grew up in the Detroit area and I have socks as old as many of the members here.
    Until about the mid 90's when FL began the CC laws, I never thought that the normal citizen would have the right (as he should have had all along) to carry a firearm for SD.
    My dad had to go into the 'depths' of Detroit on many occasions and carried a snubbie anyway...illegally...but he feared for his life. He was an otherwise, law-abiding citizen who was as honest as the day was long, but on issues of SD, he was determined to protect himself and his family. I can't say that I disagreed with his thinking, but I would never recommend that anyone do something illegal...it's just what my dad did do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I was a kid, I thought most adults carried a weapon (most of the adults I knew did) and assumed I would as well.
    Last edited by maddyfish; February 19th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    CCW wasn't legal in Ohio until recently.

Its a God given right to defend one's self so the "Powers that be" can kiss my.... toe
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

When I was a kid (now 61), I only thought about two things...fast cars and loose girls...Didn't really think about weapons until I got just a lil bit older and became a bigger kid....Certainly hate to think what it will be like when I really grow up...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Back when I was a kid (early 50's) my father carried a gun as part of his job for the Railway Express. We lived in Brooklyn NY and little did I know that he was probably the only person who owned a pistol in the neighborhood. We would visit relatives in upstate NY and they all owned guns. Shooting was a part of almost all these family visits.

It wasn't until I got older that I understood owning a handgun in NYC was not the norm and was next to impossible. It was then that I moved to where handgun ownership was more accepted. Still live in NY where I have had my CWP for more than 36 years. I have hunted and blasted away at targets from one end of the state to the other and have non-res permits for FL, NH and PA. I enjoy the freedom to protect me and my family in most psrts of this country.

I have been in the NRA for 48 years and feel great each time I see another state go to "SHALL ISSUE." One of the only times in which the government has actually given back some of the rights that were taken away from us Americans.

OMO

bosco

When I was a kid, you could carry concealed.
    NRA Endowment Member

I grew up in Alabama. I got my conceal carry permit at age 21. I will be 52 in March. From 1992 until 1999 I was stationed in California, no permit. I thought that some states supported the Constitution and some didn't. I knew I would retire in a state that had laws I supported.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Did not vote in the Poll.

OC has always been legal in Kansas, except in the big cities - Wichita, Topeka and KC metro area.

Grew up in the 1950's were 99 of 100 small town and rural homes had handguns, rifles, shotguns, + a truck gun and rifle. If they feel the need, most people still just OC or leave it in the vehicle.

CC was not an issue until drug and gang violence became a problem in the 1980's.
    Before then, 'Gun-Buster' signs were only at the bank.

As a "kid" I never gave it a moments thought and neither did anyone else I knew. It wasn't on our radar and I would be surprised if it was for anyone.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

You do not have an option for me.....I grew up in Indiana which has had a CCW law dating back to 1934, so I thought that was the way it was everywhere.

I need a permit to buy ammo, but still can't get one to CC or OC. I'm still hoping for the day someone introduces into federal law a shall issue CC system that would eliminate alot of which state allows which limbo as well. Seems about the only way it'll be done locally here. One can only hope that progression will continue.

As a Kid i never thought about it. I always associated guns with cops and robbers. And if you were carrying a gun without a badge you were a robber.

Now I know that that isn't true and am immensely happy that we can CC.

BUT I learned all that crap from watching TV. So it goes to show how kids are being brainwashed into associating guns with bad guys.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    As a "kid" I never gave it a moments thought and neither did anyone else I knew. It wasn't on our radar and I would be surprised if it was for anyone.
    Wow. Interesting statement Havegunjoe. My neighborhood must have been quite different from your neighborhood.

In my neck of the woods, we played with all manner of cap guns, cork guns, BB guns, pellet guns, plastic bullet firing guns, etc., along with enjoying our fair share of playing 'Cowboys and Indians', 'Cops and Robbers', 'War Games', or just simply shooting cans, bottles, targets, etc.

And part of all that, at least to me, was wishing and hoping that I could someday actually legally carry a gun (even though I never thought that that day would ever really come), whether as a policeman or as a private citizen.

Due to your jaw-dropping surprise that anyone could or would ever possibly think such thoughts as a kid, may ask what kind of neighborhood you grew up in, and when?

-Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links