Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCW Permit revocation

13K views 50 replies 38 participants last post by  SIXTO 
#1 ·
If you commit a crime that violates your CCW permit, do they revoke your permit automatically or is it still valid until your expiration date?

#2 ·
It depends upon the definition of violate. Did your violation involve not having your ID with you, but you do have a valid permit, or did you commit a felony?
If you've done something to take a permit away...it's gone immediately whether they've actually taken it or not. If caught, IMHO, you would be charged with possessing an illegal CCW.:22a::ziplip:

#3 ·
No felony jeesh, in NC the laws say that they can revoke a ccw, subsequent to a hearing, so if I dont hear anything is it still valid? And yes my permit is valid and carry it all the time. Got in a scuffle at a bar and told someone I was a police officer and tried to calm the situation. Didnt work and got charged with impersonating a cop. That screws my ccw. Maybe I should move to another state.

#6 ·
A couple things.

First, it appears that under NC law your permit is not revoked until you plead or are adjudicated guilty: http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Second, you're not doing yourself any favor by posting an admission that you carried in a prohibited place and impersonated a police officer on a public website.

Matt

#4 ·
Depending on the state your in, impersonating a police officer may be a felony. If it is a felony your license is definitely gone. Moving to another state will do you no good, the felony conviction will be on your record and follow you.

As to your current permit, did they tell you your permit was suspended? If not I would say it is still in force, until your court date.

#5 ·
In FL, as an example, if a driver's license is suspended for too many tickets or no proof of insurance and the person may not be aware of the suspension.
If stopped, you can still be charged with driving on a suspended license unknowingly...(my son explained this one to me...:rolleyes:).
I'm sure that the CCW works the same way.

Why in the world would you pretend to be a cop? Not a good idea, obviously it was a 'brain fart' moment that could prove to be VERY costly.
I would waste no time in taking out a loan and getting a good lawyer for this one...you don't want to have your CCW priviledges taken permanently away.:blink:
There is a difference in blurting out I'm a cop in a heated moment (still not good), and pulling over people with a fake badge and car lights...a good attorney may just save your hide.:yup:

#8 ·
Rule# 17 "Don't be a hero"

:twak:

Nobody needs to know you are anything... impersonating a cop is a felony. Please take my advice.... Do not post any more on this thread till you lawyer up and get your charge taken care of.

#10 ·
Step away from the bar, exit the establishment and go home. Place your carry piece in a secure place and rethink the entire strategy of carry for a while.

It looks like your still valid for now, but that doesn't mean its a good thing to keep on carrying daily. :nono:

#14 ·
:yup:
When you stop to think don't forget to start again.

#27 ·
+10
Depending on what type of bar you are in, anouncing that you are a cop might get 10-15 people to pile on and attack you.

Here's what I think.

I think even if your license is good, and even if you keep it after this stuff is taken care of, I think you should stop carrying. You do not have the right mental state.

#13 ·
Got in a scuffle at a bar and told someone I was a police officer and tried to calm the situation. Didnt work and got charged with impersonating a cop. That screws my ccw. Maybe I should move to another state.
Hard to say about your permit without knowing your state laws. What is known however is that you made two foolish mistakes and the lessons here must be obvious to you now. Forgive me if I find it hard to drum up sympathy for you.

#15 ·
Here is my take on it.

In "trying to stop a scuffle":

Did you have a vested interest in it?
Was there someone you knew involved?
Was someones life in real danger?
Was your life in danger?
Was losing your permit worth it?

In "impersonating a police officer":

Is it a felony or misdemeanor?
What made you even attempt it?
What made you even think you would get away with it?
Was losing your permit worth it?

The fact that you tried to stop a scuffle sound honorable enough, especially in an age where most people refuse to act.

That was totally nullified when you interjected yourself as a cop and tried to act the tough man for a few scant minutes and that didn't work.

Now, to the police and likely to the courts, you are just another nut case police wannabe that will probably never have a permit again.

Rethink the situation.
Had you acted to stop the fight without "impersonating a police officer", you would have an excellent chance of still owning a permit.

Now, most likely, the judge will say that your judgement skills were lacking enough that you wont get a permit for quite some time, if ever.

#17 ·
:rofl:

To the OP, do the right thing and give up your permit voluntarily. Not being able to think clearly during a bar fight let alone being in a bar in the first place is a very good indication that you should not have a permit at all.

#25 ·
By the time your attorney meets with the prosecutor, your post on this forum will must likely be in his case file.

(anybody that thinks they are anonymous on the internet is kidding themselves)

But on the bright side, North Carolina is a Open Carry state.
Just remember not to play LEO anymore, stick to playing
cowboy or sheepdog.

#29 ·
By the time your attorney meets with the prosecutor, your post on this forum will most likely be in his case file.

(anybody that thinks they are anonymous on the internet is kidding themselves)

But on the bright side, North Carolina is a Open Carry state.
Just remember not to play LEO anymore, stick to playing
cowboy or sheepdog.
Yep. Seen that. Kid wrecked his car, had been on forums talking about driving the day before. Took the news 12 hours to find the posts.

OP - Sorry you screwed up. We all make mistakes. But, carrying into a bar, when prohibited in NC? Trying to play cop?

If you are at work - stop, go find a lawyer...now!!

#26 ·
Wow...ummm, just wow. :shocked:

OP, depending upon your state laws, and if you're found guilty, you may have just lost the right to even touch a firearm for the remainder of your life. At this point, I'd be more worried about that and the right to vote than your permit.

#28 ·
That is a bad everywhere (a cop your not). Maybe You didn't use your best weapon, the one twix your ears, not good.. sorry..Hope you get it?

#30 ·
Dont get caught impersonating a lawyer...go get you a good one.

#36 ·
Points for honesty, that's for sure. I'm all for the right to bear arms, but you've abused that right and personally, I don't think you should ever get it back - for your own safety and that of others. Hopefully, the law will agree.

Just my .02 - since you asked.

THIS is why people are concerned about the legislation to allow CC in bars in Virginia. Personally, I'd like to protect myself at Applebees - nowhere near the bar area, but then you have things like this come up to prove the anti's points.

Disappointing!

#37 ·
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I almost asked how long you had a CCW and why wait until now to find this site. I think I know the answer. It is much better to stay out of trouble than to look for a way out of trouble.

#42 ·
I have no sympathy if you lose your permit, it would be in the best interest of the public if you do. As others have said, going into a bar with a gun and getting into a scuffle is bad enough but to compound that with impersonating an officer is on it's own level of irresponsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.