I used to think...

This is a discussion on I used to think... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by razor02097 same for Ohio. You also can't have ammo and gun within arms reach of each other. No loaded long arms in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I used to think...

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    same for Ohio. You also can't have ammo and gun within arms reach of each other. No loaded long arms in the car either. Ohio is an inform state too. If you are carrying you have to let the LEO know. If you let one LEO know during a stop and another LEO comes up to the window you better inform him too...

bad gun toter!
    Incorrect, if you have your CCW you can leave your loaded gun in the glovebox, console, or in a bag that is zipped up.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Nevada is a pretty good state for gun laws:

Shall issue state
    Signs have no legal standing.
    OC without a permit- just use common sense in tourist areas.
    Loaded gun in car is ok with or without a permit
    OK- here's the controversial one- you can CC and drink. as long as your BAC stays less than 0.1 (I no longer drink, didn't carry in the days when I did. just listing how things are

Drawbacks:
    Qualification required with every pistol that you want to carry- list on back of permit. Revolvers- qualify with one, all revolvers covered.

No carry in any government building, school, or college
    Clark County requires registration of handguns- state of Nevada does not
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    Incorrect, if you have your CCW you can leave your loaded gun in the glovebox, console, or in a bag that is zipped up.
    only works with handguns...wasn't talking about a CCW handgun
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

kpw
    Overall, PA is great. There is a couple monor things I'd change but compared to a lot of states?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I don't really care about OC, which FL doesn't allow, and for other laws, FL is pretty good.
    We can carry just about anywhere that I go, and signs mean nothing. We do have a Castle Doctrine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Question And that would be...?

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    We I got on here I only had a vague idea about CC laws, and I didn't know about the restrictions or that some states don't require a permit, but I'm still pretty happy with FL's laws. There are some things I would change if I were Governor, but I can live with them.
    Curious to hear just what you would change. they seem pretty liberal to me, other than the open carry ban.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Minnesota is a surprise state, its laws have gotten a lot better. Shall issue, OC or CC, the Sheriff MUST issue/deny within 30 days of application, very few issues with denial, able to carry up to BAC .04, going somewhere posted is a $25 fine. In the home laws are decent, no duty to retreat.

Signs hold weight here unfortunately, but not much. There's a lot worse, that's for sure.

California isn't that draconian compared to some of the other states. Even though we topped the Brady list (WHAT???) we're still pretty good about firearms.

unloaded OC in incorporated areas (cities) except in the prohibited places (schools, courthouse, etc)

loaded OC in unincorporated areas (with the same prohibited places exception)

CC is "may issue" but outside the big cities a permit is pretty easy to get. Most rural sheriff's are pro CCW. Cost isn't that bad ($125 permit fee, $150 for a class)

No permit/FOID.etc card required to purchase/own/possess firearms. Handguns must be registered but long arms don't.

loaded magazine/speedloader and firearm can be on same person and firearm is considered "unloaded" as long as they are not "touching."

No duty to retreat

Immunity from civil prosecution from persons who are committing a crime

Bad:

"approved handgun list"
    10 day waiting period
    1-gun-a-month law
    AWB
    some really strange knife laws (which I'm not up-to-date about so don't ask me)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I'll put on my flame-suit. I agree with all except:
    Hyjack, hyjack

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I'll put on my flame-suit. I agree with all except:

- I can't think of anything worse than someone publicly consuming alcohol while carrying a firearm. Is it possible for someone to have a drink or two without becoming a danger to others? Of course. I suspect they'd be the minority. I have the same opinion about drinking and carrying as I do about drinking and driving... it's ridiculous and those who do it should be stopped before they kill someone. If nothing else, if you have to use the firearm in self-defense and you've been drinking.... you're going to have big, big problems on your hand. Carry clean or don't carry.
    You can drink and still legally drive a car. It is illegal to be under the influence and drive the same as its illegal to be under the influence and carrying.

- Opinions vary and I know there's some hot dogs that would take someone out for stepping foot on their propety, but personally, I'm not going to take anyone's life because they're stealing a power tool from my shed. If they're IN my house and my life or that of my family is in danger - absolutely! I'm, however, of the opinion, you shouldn't use any more force than a LEO would use -- and I haven't seen many LEO's take down a BG for vandalism or theft only. The concept seems off to me.
    The law does not say that its legal to do so. Please read the Texas law before posting ridiculous assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplified Texas law for using deadly Force to Protect Property
    "A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect his property to the degree he reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief during the nighttime, and he reasonably believes that the property cannot be protected by any other means."

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to pervent the other who is fleeing after committing burglary, robbery, or theft during the nighttime, from escaping with the property and he reasonable believes that the property cannot be recovered by any other means; or, the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the property would expose him or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury. (Nighttime is defined as the period 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.)"
    - CCW without any training whatsoever is a bad idea IMO. We all assume everyone that carries concealed is fit to do so, it's their constitutional right, etc. - but to be honest, I've seen several on here, just in the past few days, that have the wrong idea about CC and could use bare minimum training. It only takes 4-8 hours... it's not invasive, it makes you think about things even the most experienced enthusiast would never consider and should be required. I went above and beyond, personally (which isn't difficult in VA, since you can now watch a video and "qualify.") I don't think there's any such thing as being over-prepared and over-trained.

Everything else - couldn't agree more!
    most states that don't require training don't have many reciprocal states.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'm very happy with Utah's gun laws, but there are a few things I'd like to see different.

Good things:
    [...]
    -carry in schools of any sort (except BYU)
    [...]
    I'm surprised about the BYU exception...why is that?

Mike Fontenot

Appreciate what you have.
    We Jersey folk can only dream of gun laws like those in TN, PA, FL, GA, VT, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    most states that don't require training don't have many reciprocal states.
    Well, maybe not. PA has 24, NH has 21, IN has 25....no training requirements as it should be.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I used to think that there were a lot of states more firearm friendly than PA. Then I started frequenting forums, and learning more about the laws in other states, and I realized there's only one.
    Which one???

My only gripe with PA is that it's surrounded on 3 sides by anti states that don't recognize a PA LTCF - NY, NJ, and MD.

As for our other neighbors, WV recognizes PA, and we can carry in OH and DE with a UT or FL non-res.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

I didn't realize how GOOD we have it in Colorado, until I started reading on this forum about some of the restrictions other states have. The only significant restriction we have is a K-12 restriction, which the governor at the time insisted on having, before he'd sign the concealed-carry law. (There is also the problem of the University of Colorado being governed by a body which was found by the then attorney-general Ken Salazar to be exempt from our non-preemption law, because that body is state-level, not a lower-level body).

My understanding is that we owe our good fortune largely to the RMGO (Rocky Mountain Gun Owners) organization (along with the pioneering accomplishments of the other states who went before us (all starting with Florida), who were aided a LOT by the NRA). We also had the good fortune to have had a Republican-controled legislature, a Republican governor, and at least SOME very supportive sherrifs. The governor's office, and the current legislature, are now Democrat-controlled, but fortunately quite a few Democrats are pro-gun-rights in our state.

Mike Fontenot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links