I used to think...

I used to think...

This is a discussion on I used to think... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...that my current homestate (Tennessee) was a firearm friendly state until I found this website about a year ago. Some of the things I've learned ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I used to think...

...that my current homestate (Tennessee) was a firearm friendly state until I found this website about a year ago. Some of the things I've learned other states allow since joining:

- Ability to carry in restaraunts that serve alcohol.
    - Able to carry and consume alcohol (Not for me, but it would be nice to have the option.)
    - Open carry without a permit.
    - Loaded firearm in a vehicle without a permit.
    - Ability to defend property with deadly force (Texas only as far as I'm aware.)
    - Ability to ignore anti-carry signs.
    - Concealed carry with NO permit (Vermont and Alaska, & now Wyoming I believe.)
    - Ability to obtain a permit with no mandatory training or classes.
    - Lifetime permit (Indiana only, I believe?)
    - Carry in unsecured government buildings.

This is not to say that Tennessee does nothing right, only that I'm amazed (not to mention jealous) of some of the other states and their approach to legally armed citizens.

So what about the rest of you? Anyone else think they had it pretty good until this website opened their eyes to some of the freedoms enjoyed in other states?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Nope we have it pretty good up here.

I lived in NY for a while though and I know how you feel. The county I lived in wouldn't issue permits unless you were LEO or military.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

We I got on here I only had a vague idea about CC laws, and I didn't know about the restrictions or that some states don't require a permit, but I'm still pretty happy with FL's laws. There are some things I would change if I were Governor, but I can live with them.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

RMS
    I have been here for almost a year and have learned a great deal about the laws of other states. I am still happy here in Kentucky with our laws.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Ohio is the same way.

"Oh you want a CCW permit? Sure give us $55, a class certificate that cost you $100, we'll take your fingerprints and let us do an anal probing of your background.... Great now you can carry a gun...nowhere."
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Oh, guys...Iowa is tough. Discretionary issue, so you have virtual shall issue in about 1/3 of the counties, issue with restrictions in 1/3, and no issue in the last bit.

Each of the 99 counties has a different qualification process. In some you don't have to shoot at all, and in others you need to be Carlos Hathcock and Rob Leatham all rolled into one.

Kids have to be 14 to touch a handgun, even with a parent present.

A loaded magazine, even with no gun in the car, is considered a loaded weapon.

It's a "run" state...sorta. Depends on the prosecutor.

Y'ens ain't a got it soooo bad...LOL
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Oh, guys...Iowa is tough. Discretionary issue, so you have virtual shall issue in about 1/3 of the counties, issue with restrictions in 1/3, and no issue in the last bit.

Each of the 99 counties has a different qualification process. In some you don't have to shoot at all, and in others you need to be Carlos Hathcock and Rob Leatham all rolled into one.

Kids have to be 14 to touch a handgun, even with a parent present.

A loaded magazine, even with no gun in the car, is considered a loaded weapon.

It's a "run" state...sorta. Depends on the prosecutor.

Y'ens ain't a got it soooo bad...LOL
    same for Ohio. You also can't have ammo and gun within arms reach of each other. No loaded long arms in the car either. Ohio is an inform state too. If you are carrying you have to let the LEO know. If you let one LEO know during a stop and another LEO comes up to the window you better inform him too...

bad gun toter!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, sometimes I REALLY miss PA. That was THE MOST gun friendly state we lived in.

Well I gotta say, I am pretty happy with Texas and its carry laws.

Yes, it does cost about 250 to 300 bucks to get a permit for the average person. Although I think later this year I may be a beneficiary of that since I am seriously considering becoming an instructor.

Yes you do have to renew your permit every 4-5 years depending on when you get it. The cost drops to half or the initial permit cost.

Yes you do have to obey the 30.06 and 51% signage, but can ignore all others. Takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

However, if you choose you can forego the permit and carry on your private property and in your car. You have the ability to carry a long gun just darn near any place one cares to go. This isn't seen often if ever from what I have seen.

There is no prohibition from drinking when your carrying, you just can't be intoxicated.

Property protection, well lets just say "Don't Mess With Texas".

State agencies are prohibited from posting 30.06 signs on their buildings, with the exception of during public meetings.

Yea, I can live with the way things are down here. If you don't like the way things are in your state, the way I see it you have two choices. Either get the politicians to change the laws, or move to somplace that has laws that you like better.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

West Virginia seems to be fairly gun friendly. We are kind of middle of the road with our law. However, we are not allowed to carry in :

Court Houses, Magistrates Office.

Primary and Secondary School Property including School buses.

Any facility that is being used for a Primary or Secondary School Function while that function is going on.

Vocational Education Building

Anywhere a sign is posted saying no Firearms Allowed. The signs do not have to be of any set size or design.

Regional jails, detention facilities or State Division of Corrections facilities and their grounds.

Any property where firearms are prohibited by the owner or operator.

Family Law Masters Office.
    Our "castle laws" were recently revised and we can defend in our homes and vehicles as well without the duty to retreat. We are getting better. Just wish we had more reciprocity with other states.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    No loaded long arms in the car either. Ohio is an inform state too. If you are carrying you have to let the LEO know. If you let one LEO know during a stop and another LEO comes up to the window you better inform him too...
    Wow..I didn't realise that. Here you can drive around with a loaded shotgun, rifle, or pistol on the passenger seat or on you no problem. No duty to inform LEO's and no permits of any kind needed to carry a firearm concealed, carry is allowed in bars, restaurants, just about anywhere except schools, courthouses, and federal buildings. No waiting period either. It amazes me how different the laws are state to state. When I moved here from NY I felt like I moved to a different country.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Wow..I didn't realise that. Here you can drive around with a loaded shotgun, rifle, or pistol on the passenger seat no problem. No duty to inform LEO's and no permits of any kind needed to carry a firearm concealed, carry is allowed in bars, restaurants, just about anywhere except schools, courthouses, and federal buildings. It amazes me how different the laws are state to state. When I moved here from NY I felt like I moved to a different country.

You did. NY is a mess in many ways.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I used to think TX was the best gun state around, but I've lived in a few states now, and I'm not so sure I feel that way.

Between TX and WA (also lived in CA, but won't even bother)

WA allows open carry without a permit, TX does not allow it ever
    TX requires LEGAL signage, WA I think allows any signage
    WA gives you the thumbs up on shooting a BG in more situations than TX
    TX you can walk into a gun store and walk out the same day with a gun, WA has a waiting period
    WA does not require you to inform LEO, TX does
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

MI's laws aren't too bad. We can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol (not bars), and I have yet to see a sign posted barring arms on a premisis (although I admit I don't look to hard). I would like to see some things changed; like the thinly veiled registration for hanguns, the duty to notify, and the pistol free zones need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yeah, sometimes I REALLY miss PA. That was THE MOST gun friendly state we lived in.
    As I said to JD a while ago, we'd be happy to have you back!

We have our problems, but we have a strong community of activists addressing those problems. LTCFs are inexpensive, and easy to obtain so long as you aren't a prohibited person. We have very few restrictions on carry for licensed individuals. Elementary, and secondary school buildings, and grounds(there is a possible exception to this, and there is a "test case" underway), court facilities (they are required to store weapons for us), detention facilities, correctional institutions, mental hospitals, certain Department of State buildings, and the standard places that are off limits due to Federal law.

I used to think that there were a lot of states more firearm friendly than PA. Then I started frequenting forums, and learning more about the laws in other states, and I realized there's only one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links