The Perfect Stance: Does it matter in Self Defense?

This is a discussion on The Perfect Stance: Does it matter in Self Defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gunsite I think the shooting STANCE is the platform for learning how to shoot to develop and master the mechanics of shooting. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Perfect Stance: Does it matter in Self Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    I think the shooting STANCE is the platform for learning how to shoot to develop and master the mechanics of shooting. One of the most important part of shooting is trigger control, if you do everything perfect Aim/grip/sight aliment/stance... pulling/jerking/finger placement of the trigger will cause you to be off target.

As a shooter develops and moves to defensive tactics or combat/tactical shooting, everything about target shooting becomes irrelevant except for trigger control, it has to be maintain.

Everything does start with the STANCE.
    100%. And that is where you start to develop that muscle memory...and it is still darn hard to transfer it to moving, etc. So advancing your training to different conditions is also imperative.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    As for real life experience, not exactly self-defense (thank God), but my years of paintball truly showed that body position was the least of your concerns....
    I try to practice 'off hand' positions, but this paint ball thing has more merit than tactical training and lots of other stuff for live ammo. I will definitely look at this real hard!
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

No, because it wont be a "planned" thing like shooting at the range is..I recommend training(if possible or practical at your local range) shooting from a few different but SAFE positions. Nothing wrong with shooting from a "proper" position also but everything will happens so quick you may just not have the time to assume your normal "range stance". I practice shooting from the hip right out of the holster this MAY be as far as you get B4 you HAVE to shoot..who knows...ive also practiced shooting lying down on my side and or back from a sitting position and drawing from such a position also.

NO. . . that is why most of my practice time is spent shooting one handed, moving and somewhat off balance....if you aren't doing that too...good luck!
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

I'll sum up my thoughts like this...

"In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber,
    stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived."
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    +1. Anything COM is going to make the bad guy sit up and take notice.
    If he is sitting up, you need to go to a bigger caliber!

Lima, bring your skinny little butt out with JD and shoot some IDPA with us. We don't do "typical" stages. If you want unorthodox shooting positions, we provide them...in spades...LOL.

Stance? In defensive shooting?? Good Lord, watch the dash cam videos and tell me how many perfect Weavers you see. They flinch in surprise, protect their face, and then react to the threat. They'll be hunched over and running, many not even looking at the shooter while they return fire.

IMHO, if you're trying to train "muscle memory" for a stable shooting stance in a critical incident, make sure that you sign your organ donor card. Something positive should come from your choice.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Of course it matters, but you’re most likely not going to get it in a time is life situation. If all of your defensive firearms training is standing still, shooting flat-footed at a target directly in front of you, you are doing yourself a disservice in my opinion. Shooting from obscure positions at obscure angles at obscure targets can be a great benefit.

The “perfect” stance is pretty much a joke IMO. Any of you ever watched someone being coached into the “perfect stance” while shooting and their hits go all over the place? We are each built differently and what is comfortable for one may not be for another. Now, there is merit in encouraging “Isoscleles-like” or “Weaver-like” stances, but coaching someone into a perfect Weaver stance that isn’t comfortable for them can be detrimental. I will also add that accuracy should be an initial goal to build upon. If you can’t make good hits in the best conditions, what will happen when you start moving or shooting one-handed, or shooting from a supine position, etc.

Just one man’s opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its not going to matter in a real situation. Self defense shooting is not like golf, where you get all the time in the world to adjust your grip, your foot position and wiggle your butt before you swing.
    You will running, falling, dodging, sitting or whatever during a real shooting incident. Learning a proper shooting stance is fine and needed to learn; however, once one has progressed into combat shooting, it is foolish to think that proper stance is going to be achieved prior to firing.

But, I do think that the whole proper stance thing is a carryover from military and police style training. Stance does have a lot of merit in some situations. It does stabilize the shooter, and it does make it easier to deliver accurate shots. That tends to be a little different situation than a self defense shooting.

Sixto said it!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links