A funny thing happens today

This is a discussion on A funny thing happens today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 I'm not going to any back room. I want plenty of witnesses who will be able to enrich my 'settlement check'. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A funny thing happens today

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not going to any back room. I want plenty of witnesses who will be able to enrich my 'settlement check'.
    No one except a cop is going to search or touch me. I have no duty to explain anything on my person to anyone except a cop.
    Upon first contact by store personnel, I would probably ignore and walk out of the store...if the store jumps or detains me...bigger check.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not going to any back room. :
    +1 in my experience, some retail 'back rooms' are ad hoc detention cells.

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by JKPinPDX View Post
    What would I do if they PRESSED and somehow "saw" my firearm on my belt (even though it was concealed)... If they get a little skittish about it all, I would simply and calmly pull out my CHL and show it to them to try and help explain my right. I also have it (my CHL) on a Blackhawk lanyard system around my neck and will pull that out anytime my firearm comes out for any reason so I can help the LEO's know that I am a GOOD GUY not the BG!! ...and to identify that I am legally carrying my firearm.

This is what I would do if the inevitable "explanation" of my firearm had to come into play.
    Might want to be careful with that. My brother-in-law (VA LEO) relayed: "1. A CCW dangling from someone's neck would not change my initial action in any way when I encounter someone with a firearm. Many BG's have CCW permits so it doesn't matter to me if you flash a permit in one hand with a gun in the other, you're presumed BG until that weapon is out of your hands and I have assessed the situation. 2. All states permits look different, but you're better off not wearing your permit on a lanyard; an over-sensitive LEO could hit you with impersonation."

My own opinion on the OP... if I were in a situation in which my firearm were being questioned in a private business, I've always been instructed to leave and that's what I'll do. I genuinely appreciate those who properly defend the right to carry a weapon - I'm a member of the NRA and fully support the freedom. Causing a stink, wasting the valuable time of a police department so I can prove a point and explain my "rights" doesn't do it for me and IMHO, only pushes people further away from our position. Just like religion, nobody likes having their views and "right of expression" jammed in their face, it never ends well.

Time and place to fight the good fight... in a private business, is just not one of them... for me anyway (unless they try to physically detain me for legally carrying.)

Something still doesn't make sense to me here. Let's assume it's an RFID loss prevention system. The OP has stated that the store doesn't use tags. Let's assume that the store inserts smaller RFID devices in pockets, linings etc. That would alarm on items leaving the store. Why would the system alarm on entrance to the store? I'm sure the firearm had nothing to do with it. There must be an RFID tag on the OP's person or his child...no?

VIP Member
    ...and cellulars don't set off RFID detectors. Somethings screwy!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I think there is a table in the thrift store somewhere you could pound on while yelling about how your rights are being violated and that your not going to do this or that....then there would be no doubt about who you are...
    Last edited by simon; February 20th, 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: earth turning backwards

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Something still doesn't make sense to me here. Let's assume it's an RFID loss prevention system. The OP has stated that the store doesn't use tags. Let's assume that the store inserts smaller RFID devices in pockets, linings etc. That would alarm on items leaving the store. Why would the system alarm on entrance to the store? I'm sure the firearm had nothing to do with it. There must be an RFID tag on the OP's person or his child...no?
    The sensors can't tell which direction you're walking, so nothing screwy there. Likely they bought something somewhere else which was not properly deactivated. Not a firearm or a cellphone thing.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Would it not have been proper to ask what kind of a system they have installed, what it was supposed to detect? Perhaps they are initiating a system where they install RFID tags on some items, randomly.
    Metal detector? Plates in various parts of the body. Any relatively large mass of metal on your or your kids person. Steel toed boots. Yeah, I in my easy going inquisitive manner, would have wanted to know.
    I had checked out of a big box lumber yard store recently and the alarm sounded as I exited. The person observing the door for theft had been right at the check out terminal as I checked out and had seen the whole procedure. Turns out the RFID tag had not been canceled properly, ran it back through and all was well. I received unending apologies as I was leaving, all the while CCing.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Yes, I was also confused after the alarm. I just could not understand what happened! I was just a little nervous since this would have been my first CCW experience. I respect all laws that are in respect to CCW, I do not want to stain my record. Deep down I knew that I was in the right side of the law, I had my permit, I was not under the influence, and I had not stolen anything.

RFID hidden in a wallet, child's clothes, shoes, could be anywhere. We had a post in a forum where the OP swore he checked everything. Went back wearing one item at a time. Turned out a hidden RFID deep inside his wallet that he never knew was there.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    Something still doesn't make sense to me here. Let's assume it's an RFID loss prevention system. [...] There must be an RFID tag on the OP's person or his child...no?
    I've seen several previous threads that concluded precisely THAT. Apparently, it is not uncommon for those tags to be sewn inside waistbands (completely out-of-sight), etc. They are (supposedly) de-activated at the time of purchase, but it appears that they can be re-activated in various ways.

Mike Fontenot

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    As some said, might not be a metal detector.

As far as everything else, no sign, no worry and no search. I would also ask what's the big deal, I perfer being up front about things.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by JKPinPDX View Post
    What would I do if they PRESSED and somehow "saw" my firearm on my belt (even though it was concealed)... If they get a little skittish about it all, I would simply and calmly pull out my CHL and show it to them to try and help explain my right. I also have it (my CHL) on a Blackhawk lanyard system around my neck and will pull that out anytime my firearm comes out for any reason so I can help the LEO's know that I am a GOOD GUY not the BG!! ...and to identify that I am legally carrying my firearm.

This is what I would do if the inevitable "explanation" of my firearm had to come into play.
    Or you could just go all out...
    Attached Images
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

VIP Member
    Are you sure your child did not swallow a RFID tag? Oh well it will be gone soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links