A funny thing happens today

This is a discussion on A funny thing happens today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it being Friday and still unemployed, I go about my daily routine. First stop the thrift store ( this is one I go regular) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A funny thing happens today

Well, it being Friday and still unemployed, I go about my daily routine.
    First stop the thrift store ( this is one I go regular) and BAM the alarm goes off. What the heck they installed a metal detection system. I am relaxed and I am most certainly armed. Now, all the cashiers and shoppers are looking my way confused! They are talking out loud about what happened, saying he just walked in. At this moment management comes over and asked me if I had a cell phone on me, I respond YEAH! They also state to the cashiers to keep an eye on me as when I leave.
    Funny,it should happen to me at that time as I was with my 3 year old son. If they wanted to search me what would have been my answer? I am thinking call the local LEO and we can talk then. Is this the right approach!

First off they have no legal authority to search you. If they request to, refuse. If they insist on searching you because they're afraid you have a nuclear bomb strapped under you shirt then I'd just simply leave with no LE involvement.

Are you sure it's metal detector? Or is it EAS. (Electronic Article Surveilance)

I can't see why they would install metal detectors.

Can't see why he would tell the cashier to watch you either. Especially within your earshot.

Check your clothing for RFID tags.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by bornlucky View Post
    Well, it being Friday and still unemployed, I go about my daily routine.
    First stop the thrift store ( this is one I go regular) and BAM the alarm goes off. What the **** they installed a metal detection system. I am relaxed and I am most certainly armed. Now, all the cashiers and shoppers are looking my way confused! They are talking out loud about what happened, saying he just walked in. At this moment management comes over and asked me if I had a cell phone on me, I respond YEAH! They also state to the cashiers to keep an eye on me as when I leave.
    Funny,it should happen to me at that time as I was with my 3 year old son. If they wanted to search me what would have been my answer? I am thinking call the local LEO and we can talk then. Is this the right approach!
    First off, I'd be surprised that a store would have a metal detector system, and not an RFID/loss-prevention tag reader. Who knows what metal objects people carry - keys, large belt buckles, heavy-duty underwire-bras, pocketknives, Leatherman-type tools... all perfectly legal.

They have no legal authority to search you, but maintaining that clarity of thought in an embarrassing situation may be difficult. I would ask what the problem is, and if they press to "detain" you in any way, then ask to move to a private (manager's) office and call the cops. I think there is more to be lost in trying to explain that it's your concealed weapon that (may have) set the alarm off... next thing, they're calling in a "man with a gun." Best leave that explanation to the cops, if you have to explain it at all.

If the store's "metal detection" system is new to them, then I would suggest they do some sensitivity adjustments, but - not at your time or expense.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

if they press to "detain" you in any way, then ask to move to a private (manager's) office and call the cops
    There's no way they can legally detain you for entering a store and setting the alarm off, so there is no need to ask to go to a private office. If the thrift store workers are making that big of a deal about this, knowing myself, I would have probably asked why is it such a big deal to them.

It's probably a theft prevention system. Still, it went off.

Public relations is important for all of us. The manager asked you a question and you answered it; truthfully I presume. (There are more folks with cell phones than folks with guns.) However, if they asked if you were armed, be pleasant and talk to them. Even if they '...don't have the right to search you...' (by the way, private owner search authority doesn't have the same restrictions as law enforcement search authority) DON'T be a jerk.

You have a couple options; none of them should include acting a fool. Sounds like you did the right thing and did not cause disrepute for gun owners and possessors. Good on you.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

I would stand right where I was and demand they call the police before questioning you further or searching you. They must have PC to accuse you of shoplifting or stealing, and they must provide proof.

Many years ago, when this type of security device was just getting its start, a local hardware store I frequented installed one. The technology was in its infancy, and my sheer size (at that time, 325#) caused the device to alarm. The store manager knew me well. After the third time it went off, I told him it was extremely embarrassing and if it happened again, I would take a ball bat to the sensors. The next week, the device had been removed.

Stand your ground, don't give up your rights.

Bornlucky, Please clarify that this happened as you walked into the thrift store. This is what I read in your OP. If so, then just entering a thrift store gives no one the right to search you and most definetly there is no need to call the cops. Now if you were exiting the shop and alarms went off then things are a little different.

I just want to clarify this because some of the advise given seems to not be in line with the question you asked given the situation you presented.

Just wondering was there a "No Guns Allowed" sign on the door??????
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

My hubby's 'senders will set off the alarm at wall world every so often.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Start wearing Belts with big buckles and leather
    chaps with studs.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    Bornlucky, Please clarify that this happened as you walked into the thrift store. This is what I read in your OP. If so, then just entering a thrift store gives no one the right to search you and most definetly there is no need to call the cops. Now if you were exiting the shop and alarms went off then things are a little different.

I just want to clarify this because some of the advise given seems to not be in line with the question you asked given the situation you presented.
    Regardless if he was entering or exiting the store has no legal authority to search him. If they lay a hand on him against his will they have committed and assault on him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thumbs up

What would I do if they PRESSED and somehow "saw" my firearm on my belt (even though it was concealed)... If they get a little skittish about it all, I would simply and calmly pull out my CHL and show it to them to try and help explain my right. I also have it (my CHL) on a Blackhawk lanyard system around my neck and will pull that out anytime my firearm comes out for any reason so I can help the LEO's know that I am a GOOD GUY not the BG!! ...and to identify that I am legally carrying my firearm.

This is what I would do if the inevitable "explanation" of my firearm had to come into play.
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

Quote Originally Posted by JKPinPDX View Post
    What would I do if they PRESSED and somehow "saw" my firearm on my belt (even though it was concealed)... If they get a little skittish about it all, I would simply and calmly pull out my CHL and show it to them to try and help explain my right. I also have it (my CHL) on a Blackhawk lanyard system around my neck and will pull that out anytime my firearm comes out for any reason so I can help the LEO's know that I am a GOOD GUY not the BG!! ...and to identify that I am legally carrying my firearm.

This is what I would do if the inevitable "explanation" of my firearm had to come into play.
    I'm not going to any back room. I want plenty of witnesses who will be able to enrich my 'settlement check'.
    No one except a cop is going to search or touch me. I have no duty to explain anything on my person to anyone except a cop.
    Upon first contact by store personnel, I would probably ignore and walk out of the store...if the store jumps or detains me...bigger check.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, just to clear things I was going into the store and after reading the posts the detector must have been a tag reader. But then again that thirft store has no tags on the garments? Anyway, I was entering the store with my kid when the alarm went off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links