Traffic stop yesterday - Page 5

Traffic stop yesterday

This is a discussion on Traffic stop yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have only been stopped once while carrying. I was in rural Vermillion parish Louisiana (the town of Estherwood) when I was stopped by the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop yesterday

I have only been stopped once while carrying. I was in rural Vermillion parish Louisiana (the town of Estherwood) when I was stopped by the local policeman for a rolling "stop" at a stop sign.

I informed him that I was legally carrying a handgun in my right front pocket and handed him my DL and CCW. His reply was: "Well, sonny, you keep you hand out of your pocket, and we'll be just fine." I kept my hands on the top of the wheel and there was no further mention of the gun or CCW.

And, yes, he did give me a ticket!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I honestly forgot to tell a cop, during a traffic stop, that I was carrying concealed. He reminded me that I was supposed to do so. He knew because it came up on his laptop when he ran my license plate. No, I did not tell him who I was or who I knew.
    Ok, now our interest is piqued. Who are you and who DO you know?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Haha this is all so funny.... good stop... we will have to talk more at the range...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Cops always enjoy it when you say: "You don't know who I am, do you? Well, I know ______________ and I'm gonna tell them about you! I've lived in this town for _____________ years and my people came with the covered wagons!" This will usually impress them or scare them and make them apologize to you and let you go, regardless of what you may or may not have done with or without a gun. Trust me and take my word for it. Try it. They'll like it.

Now why do you want them to go and get cited for anything and everything after trying that bit on them? Tsk tsk tsk :-p
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

I will add my traffic stop story in here too, my first since I have my CCW and had it with me.

The wife and I enjoy wildlife and always try to take time to enjoy it when we can. It was nice over the weekend so we took my motorcycle out for an evening ride, I grabbed my firearm and a small flashlight since the sun would be setting soon. We stopped at a place by the Everglades then left there after dark, on the ride home there is a road that dead ends near us and is heavily wooded. I have seen an Eagle, wild hogs and all kinds of other animals so I decided to head there. I hand my wife the light and tell her to check the side trails as we go by slowly. We pass one and she lights up a cop parked down one. I KNOW he is going to come out and he doesn't disappoint, he lights us up and I stop. I turn off the bike and take off my helmet and my wife stepped off the bike. He asks what we are doing, shining the flashlight around. I explain and he accepts it, then he asks the magic question "any firearms or weapons?" I tell him I have my CCW and am armed, my wife chimes in asking him if he wants to see it (CCW not the gun), he says no and sent us on our way without any fuss. I was a bit surprised he didn't ask to see it but I know he ran the tag and saw we were locals. All in all he handled it well, professional and didn't overreact to my being armed.

We did see a raccoon, armadillo and opossum, no deer which is what I was looking for though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    What gives with her right eye? Did you poke that poor kitty in the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    I will add my traffic stop story in here too, my first since I have my CCW and had it with me.

The wife and I enjoy wildlife and always try to take time to enjoy it when we can. It was nice over the weekend so we took my motorcycle out for an evening ride, I grabbed my firearm and a small flashlight since the sun would be setting soon. We stopped at a place by the Everglades then left there after dark, on the ride home there is a road that dead ends near us and is heavily wooded. I have seen an Eagle, wild hogs and all kinds of other animals so I decided to head there. I hand my wife the light and tell her to check the side trails as we go by slowly. We pass one and she lights up a cop parked down one. I KNOW he is going to come out and he doesn't disappoint, he lights us up and I stop. I turn off the bike and take off my helmet and my wife stepped off the bike. He asks what we are doing, shining the flashlight around. I explain and he accepts it, then he asks the magic question "any firearms or weapons?" I tell him I have my CCW and am armed, my wife chimes in asking him if he wants to see it (CCW not the gun), he says no and sent us on our way without any fuss. I was a bit surprised he didn't ask to see it but I know he ran the tag and saw we were locals. All in all he handled it well, professional and didn't overreact to my being armed.

We did see a raccoon, armadillo and opossum, no deer which is what I was looking for though.
    Interesting, not sure of the exact wording of the law regarding "seasonal" shinning, but I do know that during the fall deer season, it would be VERY unwise to be stopped while driving a motor vehicle, carrying a firearm and shinning a flashlight into the woods.

Of course that is how some people fill their freezers.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now THAT, is a good LEO stop. The guy made a reasonable stop, had a sense of humor instead of pulling you from the car (for your safety and his... ) to disarm you and unload the gun so he could stuff the gun in your trunk.
    Glad you met a cop with a common sense as well as a sense of humor.
    Not only that, he strengthened the trust in the community toward law enforcement by being helpful, & friendly.

Many cops have a "Just doing my job" attitude and forget that their salaries are paid for by the community they patrol.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Cops always enjoy it when you say: "You don't know who I am, do you? Well, I know ______________ and I'm gonna tell them about you! I've lived in this town for _____________ years and my people came with the covered wagons!" This will usually impress them or scare them and make them apologize to you and let you go, regardless of what you may or may not have done with or without a gun. Trust me and take my word for it. Try it. They'll like it.
    LOL, funny thing, I've lived in this city since I was 3 years old. I actually went through the school years, and became friends with the Chief of Police. I know a few of the officers here, and worked with many of them on Millage Campaigns. I didn't mention it to him, I didn't see how it related to my brake lights.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

It's ok to carry on school property?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    So now you changed it to a fishing picture....is this indicative of "plenty of fish in the sea" or "trolling the waters" or are you just longing for warm weather?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    IN Michigan you can carry concealed while picking up or dropping off. Only in parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
    In certain circumstances, yes. I'd imagine that Rugergirl did not exit her vehicle while dropping off her child and that the law where she lives permits this.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Glad everything went well cougar with a ruger.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links