Traffic stop yesterday

This is a discussion on Traffic stop yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My first traffic stop since I got my CPL was yesterday, and it was fairly positive. I drove my daughter to school as I do ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop yesterday

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar

Traffic stop yesterday

My first traffic stop since I got my CPL was yesterday, and it was fairly positive.
    I drove my daughter to school as I do every morning, dropped her off at the door and drove about a half mile. Stopped at the traffic signal and I see the patrol car behind me. The signal turns green, I proceed on my way and a block or so later the light go on. What? I look at the speedometer, OK I'm doing 2 MPH over the limit, odd but I put on my turn signal, turn on the first side street, pull to the curb, window down, engine off, get my DL and CPL out of my wallet and wait for the officer to approach.
    He starts the conversation with " You must wonder why I stopped you"(yeah I was). I held the DL and CPL where he could clearly see both and replied "Officer I'm required by law to inform you I have a CPL and I'm carrying a firearm". He counter with "you're not going to shoot me are you"(in a joking tone). He says when I stopped at the traffic signal it appeared that my left brake light wasn't working, but when I turned the corner and stopped, he could see that it was working. He suggested I press the brake pedal a few times to make sure it was working and not a possible short circuit. The lights worked fine as he checked them, and he suggested that the sun angle must have made it appear that it wasn't working, and he was sorry to bother me.
    He then asked if I minded telling him what kind of firearm I was carrying. I answered "today I have my S&W Model 65". He gets a big smile and says he loves revolvers and that is a big revolver for a petite lady. Then he tells me how great it is that I carry. We ending up having a nice roadside chat about revolvers, range time and personal safety.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Now THAT, is a good LEO stop. The guy made a reasonable stop, had a sense of humor instead of pulling you from the car (for your safety and his... ) to disarm you and unload the gun so he could stuff the gun in your trunk.
    Glad you met a cop with a common sense as well as a sense of humor.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like he was hitting on you.. WHATEVER works!

Every job has it's benefits...sounds like a nice guy, good stuff.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

That was a good traffic stop. More LEO's should have that positive an attitude toward citizens legally carrying firearms. Congrats on a good traffic stop!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good stop. Positive interaction with the LEO, and no ticket. What more can you ask for.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am always amazed when you guys are amazed that a traffic stop went well. Unless you give the LEO PC, there's no reason for the stop to NOT go well.

AzB
    Of course being a woman doesn't hurt.

I get tickets for 2mph over, my wife can run a stop sign with expired tags while leaving her license at home and she gets a warning.

Az

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    Sounds like he was hitting on you.. WHATEVER works!
    Could be, but I really have some doubts, unless he likes women old enough to be his mother?
    He genuinely seemed happy that I carry, big smile and mentioned it three times.
    He is a revolver guy too, and said he carries his off duty, got all excited about me having so many and a .44 as well. The stop ended up being more of a chat than a traffic stop by the time it was over.

And Keltyke, you're exactly right.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I answered "today I have my S&W Model 65".
    Rugergirl carries a S&W Model 65

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Rugergirl carries a S&W Model 65

Or a GP100, or a Model 36, or a 686+, or a Model 29, or a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II

One to go with each pair of shoes, oh wait, I don't have that many shoes.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Or a GP100, or a Model 36, or a 686+, or a Model 29, or a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II

One to go with each pair of shoes, oh wait, I don't have that many shoes.
    LOL, my type of gal. A keeper, for sure!

Maybe, you could talk to my wife.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Could be, but I really have some doubts, unless he likes women old enough to be his mother?
    Your going to have to change your screenname to Cougargirl.

Sounds like a good stop all around. Glad it was just a mistake on his part.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

glad to see

That a traffic stop went well.... I bet he knew all ready you had a cpl/ccw... If remember right the state was linking your cpl to your DL,But you did what we all have to do is tell the officer you are arm here is my ccw/cpl ID.....

Also it appears that he was making conversation on that you and that LEO share a common firearm....

XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Your going to have to change your screenname to Cougargirl.

Sounds like a good stop all around. Glad it was just a mistake on his part.
    I almost swallowed my chew.

That went the way they should always go.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links