Road Trip: Seattle to Minneapolis...

This is a discussion on Road Trip: Seattle to Minneapolis... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm planning a road trip once I get my Utah CPL. I live in WA state so I'll be driving through Idaho, Montana, N ...

Thread: Road Trip: Seattle to Minneapolis...

So I'm planning a road trip once I get my Utah CPL. I live in WA state so I'll be driving through Idaho, Montana, N Dakota and then Minnesota. I read the laws from MN state and it said it isn't a conceal carry state. Does that mean I have to OC when I get to MN?
    I am attending a friend's wedding and don't want to scare everyone there. They are mostly anti-gun in his family. :-(

Does anyone know if carrying concealed in that state is unlawful even though I have a Utah CPL?

Thanks,
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Help for you.

I've found this site invaluable.

They're quite up-to-date but use it at your own risk.

Carry Concealed

Also, I should have included this, but if you have a WA resident and UT non-resident, it appears you can make it all the way to Minnesota concealed if you cut through South Dakota (not North), and not go through Oregon.

Again, use this info at your own risk.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I grew up in ND so driving from WA to MN will be a easy and fun trip for you! Provided you have your UT permit that will cover you for your trip. I can tell you from personal experience that you will want to conceal your carry in ND and MN. ND does not allow for open carry, so watch for that pit fall. Now if you have a bit of a lead foot and like to drive a bit faster I always practiced the rule of thumb to inform LEO's that I have my permit and am carrying. NRA-ILA :: will be able to tell you what states require you notify LEO's in the event of contact. Good luck and drive safe!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post
    I grew up in ND so driving from WA to MN will be a easy and fun trip for you! Provided you have your UT permit that will cover you for your trip. I can tell you from personal experience that you will want to conceal your carry in ND and MN. ND does not allow for open carry, so watch for that pit fall. Now if you have a bit of a lead foot and like to drive a bit faster I always practiced the rule of thumb to inform LEO's that I have my permit and am carrying. NRA-ILA :: will be able to tell you what states require you notify LEO's in the event of contact. Good luck and drive safe!
    ND and MN have no restrictions on open carry, so long as you have a license that is valid in those states.

See map here: OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    So I'm planning a road trip once I get my Utah CPL. I live in WA state so I'll be driving through Idaho, Montana, N Dakota and then Minnesota. I read the laws from MN state and it said it isn't a conceal carry state. Does that mean I have to OC when I get to MN?
    I am attending a friend's wedding and don't want to scare everyone there. They are mostly anti-gun in his family. :-(

Does anyone know if carrying concealed in that state is unlawful even though I have a Utah CPL?

Thanks,
    In Minnesota we can carry concealed or open carry as long as you have an excepted permit. Utah permits are valid here.

http://www.bca.state.mn.us/CJIS/Docu...ittocarry.html
    http://www.bca.state.mn.us/CJIS/Docu...it/States.html

Minneapolis? LOL - [thread drift] Why in the world would you drive across the country, so that you can see the worst thing in the state of Minnesota? Just another big city full of great restaurants that have no parking, aggressive panhandlers who cuss you out as you go by, angry minorities who think you invented slavery, and traffic jams. You are driving 2000 miles for that? But if you must, then take a bus from downtown Minneapolis to "Block E". Block E has some great restaurants, a little Indy Theater, a comedy club, and cool shopping. Even I think it's a great place to go, and it's in South Minneapolis. But don't stay too late. You survived the bus ride to Block E? Stay too late you might not survive the bus ride back.

IMHO, you really need to hit the "North Shore" of Lake Superior, or visit some of the state's Parks / Forests. Go fishing, hiking, see the beauty that our state offers. It will be much more impressive.

Avoid downtown mpls altogether if you can, especially the clubs in the warehouse district, gang hangouts, shootings all the time there, i live close to downtown i hear gun shots all the time at night comeing from there, I have a Carry permit and carry all the time and as far as i know MN honors the Utah Permits, just check to make shure.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Minneapolis? LOL - [thread drift] Why in the world would you drive across the country, so that you can see the worst thing in the state of Minnesota? Just another big city full of great restaurants that have no parking, aggressive panhandlers who cuss you out as you go by, angry minorities who think you invented slavery, and traffic jams. You are driving 2000 miles for that? But if you must, then take a bus from downtown Minneapolis to "Block E". Block E has some great restaurants, a little Indy Theater, a comedy club, and cool shopping. Even I think it's a great place to go, and it's in South Minneapolis. But don't stay too late. You survived the bus ride to Block E? Stay too late you might not survive the bus ride back.

IMHO, you really need to hit the "North Shore" of Lake Superior, or visit some of the state's Parks / Forests. Go fishing, hiking, see the beauty that our state offers. It will be much more impressive.
    I beg to differ here. I live and work in downtown Minneapolis and it has "cleaned up" a lot in the past six or seven months. There is a lot more visible security on the sidewalks and proactive efforts by the MPD and other downtown organizations to rid the downtown of crime. Yes, I hear that it used to be pretty bad a couple of years ago, but not any more. Forbes named it the safest city in 2009 America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com

There are a few chain restaurants in Block E; the "good" restaurants are on or near Nicollet Mall. Come on down and enjoy it.

Oh, MN requires a permit to carry, it does not matter if is open or concealed, but you must have your permit to be able to carry your gun.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I seen shots being fired by the gray hound bus bld just 3 mos ago shot 7-8 times wached them get in a suv and drive off, didn't see no one hurt every one ran i was waiting for my wifes bus to come in setting in my truck, I talked to the cops no one found shot and that was it, i was the only one who seen it but i bet there was at lest 15 there when it took place. I don't go downtown unless I have to.

Check this out about mpls MN homicdes don't know how many we have right now but its up there-
    2010 Homicides news in Minneapolis, MN | Outside.in local topics | alt4

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post

Thanks,
    I too am going to pursue my Utah CPL for just this reason... Well among others... I'm an Oregon Resident, so the Utah will allow me to carry in Washington...

I've got some family back in MN too. Some up in St. Cloud. The majority down near Austin. Beautiful state... :)

Thanks for all the valuable information! I really appreciate your time. I'll post my experience when I get there. Still time - its in May.

Thanks again.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Sponsored Links