1 EDC or do you rotate?

This is a discussion on 1 EDC or do you rotate? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gasmitty I don't have a formal "rotation", but I have a range of guns that I carry depending on where I'm going, ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1 EDC or do you rotate?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't have a formal "rotation", but I have a range of guns that I carry depending on where I'm going, for how long, how I'm dressed, and to some small extent what I perceive the threat level to be.

A few examples:
    - grocery shopping, evening commute time, busy store, pretty much in and out of the store, no empty/dark parking lots to negotiate - the .38 snub will be in the pocket.

- walking the dogs, daytime in a family park area, compact 9 will be on my hip. Nighttime, probably a .45 1911.

- on the hiking trails where open carry is OK, a Glock 23 on the belt.

- absolute minimum carry when any sort of printing is unacceptable, a Kel-Tec .32 in a Nemesis is in the pocket, less bulky than my keyring and knife.

In all these cases, spare ammo is on board in various quantities.

All of these are refinements I've made over the years; back when I started out with just ONE gun I had that gun on me a lot!
    One Question for You... Why do you carry a .40cal on the trail when you have a .45ACP? I think I would reverse the two bolded... Is is a capacity thing? Ammo type? Just Wondering?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

I carry every day, and grab whichever one strikes my mood. Kahr P40 and Kimber Tac II (4 inch).

I switch between 4 guns depending on occasion.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

For me 99% of the time my EDC is a 1911, when I take it off at night it goes beside my bed on the night stand. The 1911 is just what I am most comfortable with, and I love the .45's.

I do not rotate my EDC gun it is a Kel Tec P3AT.

I do rotate my holsters for carry depending on my dress.

As i lay the P3AT on my night stand at night it serves as my house defense handgun.

380 may seem week to some but house defense is inside the house and not at grate range.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

640 in .38 Spcl+P inOWB for cold weather and heavy clothing.
    642 in .38 Spcl in pocket for warm weather and light clothing.
    317 in .22 LR for daily practice,
    Blue gun for SD drills.

Daughter-in-law says I am anal retentive, I say I am system oriented!

Night time HD is Mossy 500.

Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Do you have one primary carry that you carry the majority of the time or do you have multiple guns in a "carry rotation"?
    2 EDC's. I only change if my attire can't conceal those 2, or on special occasions, such as stripping down at the doctor's with the doc present (it happens sometimes). Then I'll choose thinner or smaller guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If you have a single primary carry is that gun also your "nightstand" gun?
    My 2 EDC's are my nightstand guns. Less shuffling of weapons that way.

I have 9 handguns, 6 of which are SD calibers (3 revolvers and 3 semi-autos). I carry all of them depending on situation, attire, etc. No particular rotation of sorts. Sometimes just whatever strikes my fancy (feeling nostalgic). Most of the time it is weather, event, attire related decision. Winter I can carry the larger guns more. Summer attire calls for the snubs and sub-compacts.

Whichever I'm carrying that day is my HD weapon that evening. Going to trade a rifle for a Mossberg 500 pump soon...which will be my primary HD gun going forward.
    Last edited by BugDude; February 23rd, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added HD
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    640 in .38 Spcl+P inOWB for cold weather and heavy clothing.
    642 in .38 Spcl in pocket for warm weather and light clothing.
    317 in .22 LR for daily practice,
    Blue gun for SD drills.

Daughter-in-law says I am anal retentive, I say I am system oriented!

Night time HD is Mossy 500.

Wow WJH, pretty cool snubby setup there.

I carry a S&W 442 with Hogue Monogrips, but I wish I could afford your S&W 317 for daily practice (range in your backyard?). I make due with with a Crosman 357 pellet gun (copy of a Colt Python, with plastic "Hogue Monogrips", 4" barrel though) in my spare bedroom "range", and a .22LR Taurus 990 Tracker (Hogue Monogrips, 4" barrel) for weekly practice, and a Colt Python (Hogue Monogrips, 4" barrel) for monthly "practice" (IPSC). And I shoot the 15oz 442 whenever I feel like damaging my hands.

I figure that the Monogrips, and with all of my practice pieces being revolvers, that they have enough commonality so as to help my shooting skills with my 442 carry piece. Just wish the Python and the Crosman loaded ammo the same way as the 442, but ya can't have everything...

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Wow WJH, pretty cool snubby setup there.

I carry a S&W 442 with Hogue Monogrips, but I wish I could afford your S&W 317 for daily practice (range in your backyard?). I make due with with a Crosman 357 pellet gun (copy of a Colt Python, with plastic "Hogue Monogrips", 4" barrel though) in my spare bedroom "range", and a .22LR Taurus 990 Tracker (Hogue Monogrips, 4" barrel) for weekly practice, and a Colt Python (Hogue Monogrips, 4" barrel) for monthly "practice" (IPSC). And I shoot the 15oz 442 whenever I feel like damaging my hands.

I figure that the Monogrips, and with all of my practice pieces being revolvers, that they have enough commonality so as to help my shooting skills with my 442 carry piece. Just wish the Python and the Crosman loaded ammo the same way as the 442, but ya can't have everything...

-Bill
    I have a Champion .22 Bullet trap set up in the garage. I use CCI .22 CBs which are accurate at the indoor ranges. This way I can practice with the lighting and basic movements that I would have to encounter indoors. I set up obstacles to simulate furniture etc. I use night lights and sometimes total darkness and practice with flashlight and gun. The 317 is expensive , but it is a great trainer! It is lighter than the 642 but has same trigger pull, making it even more difficult to shoot well. When I transition to 642 or 640 my groups are really tightening up.
    If you can't swing a 317 because of the cost, check out the Taurus 94 in 2". They run about half what the Smith costs. I'm just a S&W guy so I had to have the 317. I think it is important that the trainer have the same grips as the carry gun, so you have the same grip all of the time. The 640 on top now sports the same S&W extended grips as the other two.

I fire 25-50 CBs every day as I believe in keeping "motor memory."

I know the recoil is different, but my .38 scores have jumped anyway. I can now look at a target, close my eyes, draw and lock on target, open my eyes and the snubbie is "dead on." As the first shot is going to be the most important I now feel more comfortable knowing I will be placing the first one on target.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

VIP Member
    I have three EDC’s but then again it’s only 7:00 a.m. I rotate based on the dress code of the day, my activity level, mood and the solar phase alignment. I anticipate that I’ll pair down at some stage but for now… it’s all good ~
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

cmb
    1911 80%, Taurus 85 20% of BUG, KT P32 also a BUG. Occasionally I will carry other but it is seldom. I most comfortable with the thre and any two seem to fit every situation and dress. Have separate home defense guns primarily because of children in the house.

Depending on the situation, I switch between a 5 shot .357 and a 1911. I'm seriously considering going back to my Sigs. There is a comfort in knowing that there is no safety that I could miss.

1.Depending on how I'm dressed
    2.Were I'm going
    3. How many people I need to protect
    4.temperature(Florida)
    I will rotate between:
    S&W mod 60 .38 spl
    Xd9sc
    Berreta Tomcat .32acp

it all depends what wearing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links