Small of the back carry - Page 2

Small of the back carry

This is a discussion on Small of the back carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wmhawth Looks cute in the movies. In real life seems a dangerous, uncomfortable, and difficult means of carry. I agree, wearing an ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Looks cute in the movies. In real life seems a dangerous, uncomfortable, and difficult means of carry.
    I agree, wearing an SOB is truly a S.O.B. Oh, and don't even think about bending over without a coat or similar.

more to say... I’ve always dreamed of a gun shop that had a holster bone-yard of wayward rejects so that customer’s could ‘try before you buy’ type thing’. Just think of the extra room we'd all have for our socks.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

i've carried SOB afew times, drivings the worst (MOHO) but have'nt ina few yrs.
    not the most comfortable. but what might not work for one just may be better
    for someone else. good luck to ya.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

While carrying anything in line with your spine can present a risk, I'd be more concerned with not knowing if it's showing, the harder and more noticeable draw, and the easier access a BG might have to your gun.

As others have stated, SOB is not only painful when sitting down, but can also severely damage your lower spine if you fall down against your weapon on a hard surface.

Ankle carry is only for use when carrying a BUG, since you can well imagine what the BG will do to you as he pops out of an ally or doorway right in front of you: you bend down to grab your weapon, his jackboot then comes up towards your face; and your mouth and nasal cavity goes "crack" and "squish". Not good.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    As others have stated, SOB is not only painful when sitting down, but can also severely damage your lower spine if you fall down against your weapon on a hard surface.

Ankle carry is only for use when carrying a BUG, since you can well imagine what the BG will do to you as he pops out of an ally or doorway right in front of you: you bend down to grab your weapon, his jackboot then comes up towards your face; and your mouth and nasal cavity goes "crack" and "squish". Not good.

-Bill
    Yeah ankle carry is not a fast draw, unless seated. As far as comfort though I have a Bianchi Triad Ankle Holster and it is the most comfortable holster I have.

The other time an ankle holster might have an advantage was made clear to me the last time I went to a large outdoor concert venue. They were wanding everyone as they entered. They had everyone raise their hands straight out and wanded them top and bottom of arms, (arm pits) and waiste to pockets. The rent a cops were being lazy though and no one was wanding down past the knees, which would have required a lot of bending by the security. An ankle holster would have gotten through. I can't say it would always be that way, but that day, that line it would.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I used one of these for almost two years and found it quite comfortable. I wore it between 4:00 and 5:00 though, not SOB. I did not find any of the matters above to be of concern when wearing it thus. I tend to wear cover garments regularly anyway.

I would not wear an SOB at 6:00.

Gould & Goodrich | 806 Small of Back Holster
    I have a Galco SOB and Black hawk Holster similar to this and wear about 4- 5 o'clock and have no problems. Driving takes Little getting used to but that goes with any Carry. Then you have to figure in the handgun you carry, revolver, large frame auto, subcompact? End state you have to experiment till you find what is right for you, if you got a Glock then PM me and I'll send you the collection of holsters that didn't work for me.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

"Someone can grab your gun" "It's too hard to conceal" "It's dangerous if you fall down" Yak yak yak, blah blah blah...

What a bunch of who don't know much, if anything, on the subject.

My recommendation: Try it instead of letting someone else make your decision for you. Who knows, you might be the only one (or one of two/three) on the entire forum who actually has carried that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    "Someone can grab your gun" "It's too hard to conceal" "It's dangerous if you fall down" Yak yak yak, blah blah blah...

My recommendation: Try it instead of letting someone else make your decision for you. Who knows, you might be the only one (or one of two/three) on the entire forum who actually has carried that way.
    Be my guest. Do as you please.

I used to carry a Ruger Blackhawk in the SOB with the loading gate open to catch my belt. Worked real good. Never had a problem.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post

Yes J400Cali, please only take Rob P's recommendation on SOB carry, and ignore everyone else's advice on this forum: After all, everyone on the Defensive Carry forums are a bunch of know-nothings anyway (except for Rob P., of course).

Oh, and any lower back damage you may sustain from falling down when using SOB carry, and the excruciating and unremitting pain for the rest of your life that goes along with certain spinal damage, shouldn't be any problem to handle for a real man.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    Yes J400Cali, please only take Rob P's recommendation on SOB carry, and ignore everyone else's advice on this forum
    He's not the only one who recommends it. As I said in my post, it has a place in my carry, and has for 25 years. It's comfortable, easily concealed with a jacket, works while seated, no slower to draw than an IWB at 5:00, etc. I have no intention of getting into a scuffle with anyone and falling on my back.

Please don't disparage other people's opinion and experience. While you may be uncomfortable with the million-to-one risk (or higher) of injury, I think those odds are better than the ones that make us carry every day. I'll take my chances.

VIP Member

Small of the back carry

Can't reach it.

I've not seen any advantages for myself, but I am sure it would work well it the right circumstances..

I carry IWB/SOB about 50% of the time. I use this... FIST, INC. ...and I have found that spot, not on the spine, but rather on the kidney that is super comfortable. It also provides me with a 'palm out' draw...much easier to draw than reaching around palm in.
    I can stand, walk, sit, drive (in a Miata), and sleep with this mode of CC.
    I know of several other friends who also carry their Glock-36's in this same holster. It may not be for everyone, but I find it a great carry mode.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

works if you are not driving a car or having to sit down!..If you ever fall (or are knocked) on your back it could cause some sever back injuries!!!!!!
    IMHO its not the preferred method.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links