Small of the back carry

Small of the back carry

This is a discussion on Small of the back carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen many posts on carrying in the small of the back, what are your thoughts on this. Also I was wondering if I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Small of the back carry

I haven't seen many posts on carrying in the small of the back, what are your thoughts on this. Also I was wondering if I am alone when I say it is painful to carry with an ankle holster? I tried it a few times but it hurt to carry there, I've also found it impractical to get to in a pinch if needed. Thanks in advance

VIP Member
    JMO, but SOB carry is alright for when your up walking about, but not very comfortable if you do a lot of sitting.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I tried SOB carry for a while, about 1 day. Driving was painful. If I still rode motorcycle it might have been viable.

GM
    I never tried SOB carry, but I am considering it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The one position I will never carry in. just too many things to go wrong in that position from spinal injury in a fall and landing on the gun to no retention to you really cant see back there either...did the shirt get caught up on the grip last time I bent down or the wind blew and now im not only "printing" im actually literally OCing ....this happened to a buddy carrying his 1911 3" SOB the wind blew up his shirt he pulled it back down but the shirt got caught on the grips and while we walked around the mall I saw a few people give us strange looks as we passed or they passed us...I was thinking wth...then as we entered a store he turned and I saw him basically open carrying his 1911 through the mall shirt tail over the back of the grip...i told him to fix himself....ever since then ive not been a fan of SOB carry that and id heard of spinal injury in a accident from landing on the gun. plus its not a "quick" draw as you have to hope to clear the shirt cover and not get tangled up in it. I just tried it here while typing this(stood up of course) and missed totally lifting my sweatshirt 3 times in a row to get a clean draw....Plus I drive..to get back and forth to just about everywhere I really dont want to have to keep taking my gun on and off for that because you cant drive like that.

Small of the back, just not my thing. If it works for others, more power to you.

I'm more of an in-waist-band person for concealed carry.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It's a Pain?????
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

I haven't seen many posts on carrying in the small of the back, what are your thoughts on this
    Looks cute in the movies. In real life seems a dangerous, uncomfortable, and difficult means of carry.

Administrator
    I don't like it for a bunch of reasons, same with ankle carry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I do carry in the center of my back. I carry a Ruger LCR and find it rather comfortable (JMO). I am right handed so I use a left handed in the waist holster to allow for a draw with the right hand. But I do practice it this way so I have trained my reflexes.
    " I'm tired of following my Dreams. From now on I will just ask them where they are going and meet up with them later." M.Headberg

I don't feel that the small of back would conceal well for me. And you can't check to see if your printing or your clothes got hung up. It feels like it would be terrible spot for retention during a gun grab.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

This can happen anyway you carry but just last week I was at the gun shop and there was a guy walking around with his 1911 completely showing in the small of his back. His shirt rode up and tucked behind his pistol for all to see. I watched him walk around the store like that for a bout 15 min, since OC is legal I didn't say anything until I was about to leave. I told him he has a nice kimber and I smiled. He laughed and said thanks and reached behind and covered it up. He said he usually doesn't carry in SOB just for that reason but today it was convenient..
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Tried it for a while because it looked "cool". Cool goes out the qwindow after about an hour or you sit down in a hard chair. I moved it around to about the kidney...and its not too bad, but its just not very conventional and pretty inconvenient. I wouldnt recommend it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I used one of these for almost two years and found it quite comfortable. I wore it between 4:00 and 5:00 though, not SOB. I did not find any of the matters above to be of concern when wearing it thus. I tend to wear cover garments regularly anyway.

I would not wear an SOB at 6:00.

Gould & Goodrich | 806 Small of Back Holster

Search engine is your friend. We've been down this path a few times before.

Personally, I like it. It is comfortable sitting down at work, though not in a car. I don't think the draw is any slower than an IWB at 4:00-5:00. I think the risk of falling on your butt is minimal, and others carry slightly off-center to get it off the spine area. It's also a good option for those of us who don't have our 20's physique anymore. Even with a spare tire, there's a natural depression there that a gun sits in comfortably.

You do have to watch it when you get up from a chair with slats on the back -- your grip can catch. And yes, if you bend over from the waist, you will print. And yes, you do have to have SA to prevent someone from grabbing your weapon from behind (assuming they see the concealed weapon),but no more so than wearing at 5:00.

I find it a good position when I'm wearing a sports coat, etc. Like any carry method, I believe it can be effective, and for me, it has a place in my holster rotation (just like my shoulder holster and pocket holster). YMMV. (BTW, I also use a left-hand model for the palm-out draw with an IWB SOB holster).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links