best way to carry full-sized 1911 concealed

This is a discussion on best way to carry full-sized 1911 concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried government and commander sized 1911's for years usually in a holster like the VMII or Raven Concealment. I've never had an issue whether ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: best way to carry full-sized 1911 concealed

I've carried government and commander sized 1911's for years usually in a holster like the VMII or Raven Concealment. I've never had an issue whether in a suit or jeans and a t shirt. I carried a Nighthawk Talon II bobtail and a VBOB for a while and it made it a little more comfortable but I still prefer a standard frame full size.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

I carried a Gov model Colt all day today visiting Shaker Village in Harrodsburg Ky. Did alot of walking, sweating , bend, kneeling and sitting. I used a OWB Yaki style holster with retention snap. All I wore was a pair of Dockers, and a Polo style shirt as a cover. No issues. Carried spare mag in back pocket.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I carry either my RIA GI or my CS IWB with Blackhawk holsters. Works for me and my untucked shirt.

I like my Versa Max. Perfect 1911 holster. I have a SS II that works well, too.

Galco Jack-Ass shoulder rig with a 1911 equipped with the Safety-Fast system. I've been using mine for years and being left handed it fills the bill for the lack of good South Pawl holsters. When driving there is never a moment where I cannot reach the pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I used to carry one in a Comptac Ctac. It carried nicely.

Take a look the Don Hume PPCH. I have used this holster along with one of the double thickness gun belts for several years and have been very pleased,

Interesting, I need a new holster too....that one setup where he has a glock and the 1911 looks like a nice holster, I can't even tell that there is one.

I wear tighter wranglers, I guess i'll need to tackle my attire before this will work well.

the shoulder setup is nice, but its heating up here.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tseabourn View Post
    Does the holster you're using provide any forward cant? I've found that this forward cant helps hide the grip by keeping it in closer to the body, particularly if I wear it just behind the hip bone.
    Answer in a nutshell.

I carry a Springfield Champion SS In a Kelley gun leather C-flex with 15 degree cant. I'm a little guy and only have printing when I bend over. I have found that a polo shirt work's the best for me. My next C-flex for a government model will have 25-30 degree forward cant to it. With me being small framed I need more cant to get the grip rolled more forward. http://emob1090.photobucket.com/albu...g?t=1326767129
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    SuperTuck Deluxe

Best IWB holster ever.
    +1....I agree

I've read all these posts so here is what I do. I dress casual so any pants are ok with the IWB holster. Heres the trick, I wear polo type shirts with the elastic at the bottom. Just pull up shirt slightly to blouse it around ur waist and the grip, it's hidden. Now you know the secret...Some cloth colors help in the hiding process also. Also if u have a cell phone carry it on ur belt or ur car keys on a ring holder to catch the eye there. People size up other people by nature in an effort of checking their safety barrier, that I was taught in a LEO school at Quantico, Virginia.
    Button down shirts worn open or buttoned untucked on top of another shirt such as a et: t-shirt, screams concealed carry to LEO and most people..But most of us on this forum know this anyway...so no need to rant on...
    Last edited by Richard58; March 12th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    IWB with an over sized pant and a good gun belt will do it,

I use an Aker gun belt and put the 1911 into a Brommeland Max Con. It is the next best thing to a Milt Sparks VM from what I can gather.
    Bought it for $130 and worth every cent. Really comfortable with extreme cant. Honestly, it takes very little to cover the grip which is the only thing showing and, is tightly held to my body.
    I can actually cover it with my hand!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links