I refuse to live in fear. Ugg....

This is a discussion on I refuse to live in fear. Ugg.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend of 7 years used to think the same way. I have carried daily for some time now and she doesn't object one bit, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I refuse to live in fear. Ugg....

My girlfriend of 7 years used to think the same way. I have carried daily for some time now and she doesn't object one bit, she says it makes her feel safe. I have taught her firearm safety, how to shoot, hunt etc over the years. She loves it, she especially loves revolvers. I told her she should get a gun to carry a couple years ago (I even offered to buy her one or let her carry one of mine). No permit needed here in VT to CC so it's not like the permit process deterred her. I have taught her a lot about firearms over the years and I feel very comfortable with her ability to carry and use a firearm, shes safe, smart, and frankly the girl can shoot exceptionally well. When I told her she should think about carrying she blew it off and said "I have never had any trouble before I don't need to carry a gun" I was shocked, shes very intelligent but that was just a stupid comment (did I mention she's the most stubborn girl I've ever know?). We talked for a while about it and she said she just doesn't feel a need and if someone tried to hurt her she would give them what they want and play along. Without getting into to much detail here it led to an argument and I eventually dropped it...for a while. Well a year later she was at bank making a deposit when a man walked in with his hands in his pocket and told the cashier he had a gun and to give him the money in the drawer. She quietly handed him the money without fuss and he left, and was never caught. After that day she has carried a snub .357 magnum in a bra holster or in her bag every time she leaves the house. It makes me smile and I got to use the "I told you so" for a good week

Unfortunately for some people something has to happen to change there mind and open there eyes to the world we live in. All you can do is hope it's something minor that takes them out of there protective bubble that they think they live in. Anyways good job Rollo, little progress is still progress. It's like religion though, no one likes it when people push or preach there beliefs so just be careful.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Unfortunately for some people something has to happen to change there mind and open there eyes to the world we live in. All you can do is hope it's something minor that takes them out of there protective bubble that they think they live in.
    A few of my relatives fall into this category. It really irks me to hear them talk about "not even owning a key for their front door!" Especially the ones with kids.

bosco

It usually takes a local home invasion, carjacking, attack, robbery, murder or rape to get their attention. But, you will still see people who imagine or say that it can't happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Her response was “I refuse to live in fear”. Uggg.. Commendable but stupid as far as I am concerned. There’s a difference between living in fear and being prepared.
    Somewhere there is a post on DC about "Why I carry a gun".
    One of the points is,
    I don't carry a gun because I am afraid, I carry a gun to reduce my fear.

What you should have said to her is, "Carrying this OC will give you LESS to fear!"

Good job on getting her to realize she needs to be aware, and prepared.

Good to hear. We all should do more to shepherd our most oblivious sheep.

Well done, Rollo!

You have proven once again that it takes a conversation and appropriate questions to change a person's mind.

Until the person is shown (without forcing) the value of doing anything and comes to their own conclusion that it is a good idea, no amount of chiding or intimidation will change a person's mind.

Capt. Art

VIP Member
    Sounds like you really opened her eyes. You just gave her the tools to save herself if she chooses to use them. Good job!

Excellent job.

I'm still trying to convince family members that the mere fact I own a gun isn't going to directly lead to my death and that carrying concealed isn't going to turn me into Rambo.

Rugergirl says it well

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    What is it with people who "refuse to live in fear"?
    There is a difference, a really big difference between living in fear and just using some common sense.
    Those who say they refuse to live in fear are fooling no one but themselves. When they take the blinders off and see what the world can be like, only then can they be free from fear.
    I carry everyday and I don't live in fear, I do know that there is evil in the world and I do what I can to survive if I come face to face with it.
    I used common sense to try to avoid it, pay attention to my surroundings, and do the best I can to be sure that me and mine are safe.
    I have to say that my "little journey" into gun ownership and practice and the road to carrying is a lot less about fear and a lot more about empowerment and the determination to deter any violence that might come my way. Definitely not about living in fear, more about living in clear knowledge and careful opposition of danger. Which boils down to eliminating the fears, conscious or subconscious, that I might have been living with before.

Michele
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

An excellent, persuasive argument. Well done Rollo!

I refuse to live in fear.
    The inalienable right given to every American. Citizen's motto.

They prefer to live in danger.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Great job!

you might have just saved her life!
    good job can you talk to my girlfriend ??? she carries OC spray but is turning 21 this fall but refuses to take her CCW class... she is not Anti-gun just doesn't like the idea of having a gun on her persons.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by SkydiverRick View Post
    They prefer to live in danger.
    Actually, living in fear is danger. It's dangerous to the mind. Those who live in fear are easily led into submission by whom or what they fear. What danger is there from not living in fear? How deep would you like to go? Take my hand as we go into the darkness of the human mind.......trust me.

Well played, Rollo. And I'm going to remember that argument that you used. That was briliant. I'll keep you guys posted as to whether I was able to convince my wife of the sanity of self protection, or if I spent the night on the couch.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links