Ruger Guns - Page 2

Ruger Guns

This is a discussion on Ruger Guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Ruger LCP, and am very happy. I have never heard anyone say anything poor about a Ruger, and as for now ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Guns

I recently purchased a Ruger LCP, and am very happy. I have never heard anyone say anything poor about a Ruger, and as for now I can't find anything poor to say either.
    Just remember: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I too, am a Glock man and I own a Ruger SP101 .357 magnum, a Ruger LCP .380 with a Crimson Trace laser, and the ever popular Ruger 10/22 .22 carbine. Yes, rest assured, Ruger produces really fine firearms.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    You would have big troubles finding a better CCW gun than an SP101, especially with the bobbed hammer option: enough weight to suppress the brutal recoil of a .38 +P, but light enough to carry all day. And talk about "built like a tank"...
    Might I suggest improved grips if your .38s are giving you "brutal recoil"?

I have a 3" Taurus 605 that came with factory Hogue rubber grips (21 oz IIRC). I have no problems shooting factory .357 ammo from it. My wife bought a .38 special Ladysmith with the pretty wood grips. It has more perceived recoil than my .357.

The SP101 is a fine gun, but it's weight is not required to shoot decent ammo.

Ken

The P95 is 27oz Empty 15rds It's not bad. I've got over 1000 good rnds
    Through it no problems, Can't beat em for the $$ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm a Glock man too but I love my SP101 DAO 2.25" .357 mag!!! Try it with Double Tap 125 gr. Bonded Defense and you will see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    Might I suggest improved grips if your .38s are giving you "brutal recoil"?

I have a 3" Taurus 605 that came with factory Hogue rubber grips (21 oz IIRC). I have no problems shooting factory .357 ammo from it. My wife bought a .38 special Ladysmith with the pretty wood grips. It has more perceived recoil than my .357.

The SP101 is a fine gun, but it's weight is not required to shoot decent ammo.

Ken

Hi Ken45,

I do have really great grips on my 15oz S&W 442 carry gun: The Hogue Monogrips (with heavy rubber covered backstrap).

But the recoil is still far too brutal for me, even at 6'1" and 155pnds, with the +Ps -- and even with some standard 158grn non +P rounds -- so I have gone with the "low recoil" ammo by Hornady (Critical Defense) and Federal (Personal Defense). These work just fine.

I have no problems at all with my wife's heavier stainless S&W Centenial with +Ps, even though it is the exact same gun, but about 6 ounces heavier.

Weight can really matter with the sharpness of the recoil, and I would gladly carry a heavier gun than be brutalized by nerve damaging recoil to my hands....

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    I do have really great grips on my 15oz S&W 442 carry gun: The Hogue Monogrips (with heavy rubber covered backstrap).

But the recoil is still far too brutal for me,
    I have no problems at all with my wife's heavier stainless S&W Centenial with +Ps, even though it is the exact same gun, but about 6 ounces heavier. .
    Bill,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm not in favor of the ultra light guns. My all steel Taurus 605 is plenty light for carry, but heavy enough that recoil is very reasonable.

AFAIK, all the Ruger SP101s are heavy enough, they just might need Hogue grips if the recoil is a problem.

Ken

F40
    Ruger makes great guns. A friend has over 1k through his SR9 with no issues. My trunk gun is a tan guncoated 182 series mini 14 with a butler creek folder( it's older than me by 8 years, circa 1980)and has been great. Not a target rifle by any means, but a good all around survival rifle.

My carry pistol is a Ruger P95, and I couldn't be happier. Tough, reliable, and I swear it gets smoother and more consistant and accurate every time I shoot it. I've never quite understood the "ugly" or "blocky" descriptions some folks use to describe Ruger pistols, particularly if its coming from someone who likes Glocks??? Doesn't Glock mean "square" in german? (....;)....) Besides, I like the "I'm gonna rip off yer head and s**t down yer neck" attitude/appearance that my P95 has!

I'd like to add that I like the weight of my Ruger's .357's (100 w/4" ; 101 w/2.25").
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Ruger SP101 357mag. A bit on the heavy side but VERY durable and surprisingly accurate.

I was a Glock guy now im a Ruger guy. I like the Ruger better..it feels better in my hands has ambi controls for the mag release and safety thinner better grip...whats not to like(Ruger SR9c).

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    I have a cousin of mine who is thinking about getting a ruger handgun to CC with are they any good? He ask me, I told him I dont know I'm a glock man myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Ruger makes every type of firearm that most normal folks need. However, I do not intend to singlehandedly support them! I got the LCP and the SP-101 and the .22 carbine and the Mini 14. I believe in diversity of famous brand names to spread the wealth and my disposable income. Beside, you gotta buy bullets!

Yes Ruger makes excellent weapons for those on a budget or even those not a budget.

I guess I'll take that torch from you then.

Currently own
    P95DC
    Security Six - snub nose and a 4"
    Mini-14
    p345
    p90
    Mark III
    Super blackhawk .44 mag 7 something inch barrel
    10/22
    44 Carbine

I carry my 4" security six. Do I think Ruger makes an excellent dependable product? If my list doesn't say it then yes. some seem to have a problem with the size/weight of their pistols but good carry set up and you'll be fine. Still don't see what people are up the air about they carry full size 1911s and XD45s with no problems. My XD45 is heavier than my p95 and i carry both pretty easily specially for a small stature guy.

IMO Ruger makes very good guns. I have the LCP and have had one of the speed six revolvers as well as a P85 a few years back. All of um were and are fine pistols for self defense. Good price points too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I've owned a couple and think highly of them still. But had to sell long ago to get through some money stuff. These are some of my sore subjects of the past. Great quality Ruger guns..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links