Ruger Guns

This is a discussion on Ruger Guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So for me, I'd stay away from it unless it just a range toy. It sounds like other's here have had the opposite experience, but ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Guns

So for me, I'd stay away from it unless it just a range toy. It sounds like other's here have had the opposite experience, but I'll stick with something found heavily with the police forces; and Ruger ain't it.
    I don't think you are going to find ANY .380 "found heavily with the police forces".

Ruger makes very reliable guns in more serious calibers.

Ken

If they are such great guns why don't you see Ruger's in the more serious calibers in circulation with many police departments? They are already cheap to the civilian, so it only makes sense they would be extremely cheap to police departments.

My buddy's K95 which is a 45 auto, jammed several times. Meanwhile my Beretta in 45 was eating the same ammo with no issues. He's ex-military with a slew of guns, so I'd say he has an idea how to shoot and wasn't just limp wristing it.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I just think that if you are looking at a weapon that you may need to rely on to save your life or that of a loved one that you'd want to get something better.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTnerve View Post
    If they are such great guns why don't you see Ruger's in the more serious calibers in circulation with many police departments? They are already cheap to the civilian, so it only makes sense they would be extremely cheap to police departments.
    Probably because Glock makes even better deals. Glock (and now S&W I think) offers police departments good trade in values on their existing firearms.

That being said, Glocks are probably slimmer and perhaps better looking for the police environment.

My buddy's K95 which is a 45 auto, jammed several times. Meanwhile my Beretta in 45 was eating the same ammo with no issues. He's ex-military with a slew of guns, so I'd say he has an idea how to shoot and wasn't just limp wristing it.
    All brands have occasional glitches. I'm not sure what a K95 is (KP95?) but most people find the Ruger pistols to be reliable.

All guns should be thoroughly tested before being relied upon for defensive use.

For autos Iíd check out the SR9 and 345.

Their revolvers arenít as pretty as Smiths (IMO) and are heavy, but they are built like a freakiní tank. I have a 3Ē GP-100 and really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTnerve View Post

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but I just think that if you are looking at a weapon that you may need to rely on to save your life or that of a loved one that you'd want to get something better.
    Actually I first carried a Ruger as a service pistol many years ago before the advent of Glocks.

Glocks were lighter (until the recent shift to polymer frames), somewhat less bulky and made great deals in order to get a beachhead in the police market.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    Their revolvers aren’t as pretty as Smiths (IMO) and are heavy, but they are built like a freakin’ tank.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

There is a certain beauty in solid strength.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Great guns
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I'm happy with my LCP so far. It's the first Ruger I've owned.
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

SP101 and I love it. Simplest most dependable gun money can buy. IMO

The Ruger Police Service Six, Security Six, and Speed Six were all widely issued to and carried by various branches of law enforcement until semi-autos became the norm (mainly for capacity reasons). My Ruger Police Service Six is a blued model with 4" barrel in .357 Magnum. There were other variations in both .357 and .38. The Ruger GP100 is the modern equivalent of my PSS and the very popular SP101 is the modern equivalent to the Speed Six. I own an older model P95 9mm and it runs like a fine jeweled timepiece. Very trustworthy weapons and company without a doubt.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Ruger was used by police departments across the country and I'm sure there are still some that do. Nothing against glocks and the rest they are excellent weapons and all but one of the big reasons police departments switched to glocks is price. You and i can buy a new glock for $500ish I believe police officers get theirs for $350 or something like that. Probably another reason being the triggers on the autos are DA/SA for the most part where as glocks and other striker fired pistols have the same pull every time. I know there are some departments and some correctional facilities still using the mini-14 for their long gun needs. Every manufacturer makes a lemon, if its made by man it will happen, thankfully I have yet to get one. :)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I'm not real fond of the out of the box triggers on Rugers, but otherwise they are OK.

The Mini-14's aren't very accurate in my experience, either. I've heard they've improved in recent years, but there is still the magazine price/availability issue.

Reliable though, they will handle just about anything in the calibers they are chambered for.

I owned a P-95 for a few years. Great gun when shooting brass cased ammo, but don't ever try shooting steel cased ammo in one. I picked up some cheap silver/brown bear ammo a couple of times and after a few rounds, I'd always get a FT Extract. The casing would be lodged in the barrel with the next bullet pushing on it. Blame can be placed on 2 different things, but I say it was a combo of ammo and the extractor. I tried adjustments and different extractors to no avail. Never had the same issues with brass cased ammo though.

I'd have no problems buying a revolver from Ruger though.

I have a serious Ruger habit:
    GP100, LCP, Vaquero, Blackhawk and just last night, a new Single Six.
    They are great guns, in my opinion.
    For years I thought that the last thing in the world I would enjoy would be a single action handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    I have a serious Ruger habit:
    GP100, LCP, Vaquero, Blackhawk and just last night, a new Single Six.
    They are great guns, in my opinion.
    For years I thought that the last thing in the world I would enjoy would be a single action handgun.
    I like single action semiautos, but I'm not enthused about the slow reloading of SA revolvers. Not that it should make any real difference.

Ken

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links