mass gun permit

This is a discussion on mass gun permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mdanm56 I just received my un-restricted class A in Natick. Took about 5 weeks from the day I submitted my form. Depending ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mass gun permit

Quote Originally Posted by Mdanm56 View Post
    I just received my un-restricted class A in Natick. Took about 5 weeks from the day I submitted my form. Depending on where you live, they might limit your license. This is the first time I applied, and I had good references (know the Chief), so I didn't have any problem. If you don't have a history, they have to issue you a license, just not a LTC.
    The Chief of the dept, or his assigned designee, has the power to issue the license in MA. Since you know him it was most assured that it would not be an issue. In MA, others may not have the same outcome in the same town even if their background is as good or better than yours in regards to the background check, personals, and criminal checks. It's the Chief's/designee's discretion solely. MA is a "may-issue" state unlike your neighboor NH which is "shall-issue". If your criminal background check comes back clean you get an LTC. Period.

I'll double-check my latest law and rules book for MA, but if you live in MA, the Chief/designee of the town you live in does not have to give you anything. He/she could not like the color of your hair or the type of sneakers you wore when you dropped off your paperwork. If he/she doesn't want to issue you anything, not even an FID, you won't get one. Period. "May-issue"...

You have a better chance of getting an out-of-state permit to carry than you do an LTC in-state. The State Police handles out-of-state permits and grants them a hefty percentage more than in-state.

I will say congrtas on the permit though! Carry safe and carry always!! :)
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Yep. It all depends on what town you live in. Mass is a "may issue" state. The local PD Chief has final say on who gets one. Like Jeff mentioned, if he/she is more lenient and typically allows permits you may have a fair shot. If you live someplace like Boston..... no one gets it.

You actually have a better chance of getting an out-of-state permit which goes throught the State Police than you have of getting an in-state if you llive in a more restricted area.

Good luck though. I hope you can at least get something.
    True that it is up to the chief and the mayor/selectmen TELL the chief what his gun policies WILL BE on issuing LTCs.

However, it is NOT true (any more) that Boston won't issue a permit. In fact they turn them around in ~4 weeks average these days (a lot quicker than many towns). They do tend to restrict one to NOT CARRYING (only possession for hunting/target/sporting) unless you are of a "privileged class", however. I've trained a number of people prepping for their Boston test (range test with a PD owned .38Spl revolver, minimum score is 210/300 to get a LTC) and every one of them has passed the test and been issued a LTC within a few weeks of the range test.

MSP turned over issuance of NR LTCs to EOPS and thus EOPS set a new policy in place to make it much more difficult. Now requires an annual in-person interview in Chelsea, MA and they are issuing many restricted to hunting/target/sporting . . . which makes it a waste of time/money for most NRs.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    If it's as hard as I'm hearing for a direct Mass permit - maybe find another state that allows a non-resident permit that has Mass in it's list - or - see if you can get on as a Reserve Police Officer somewhere and let your PD ID be your permit via H.R. 218
    MA does not recognize ANY other state's permits.

Also, very few towns issue a LEOSA-compliant ID that can thus be used as a permit.

To add insult to injury, one can not purchase anything (ammo or guns) in MA w/o a MA RESIDENT LTC (NRs can't purchase anything even with a NR LTC) and your badge will only really cover you for duty firearm and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Mass honors no other states carry permit.

The misconception is Mass is totally anti-gun/pistol permit, only in a few towns and the city of Boston.

As a Mass resident I have fewer restrictions on my carrying than most gun-friendly states. What does stink about Ma. is the restrictions on what I can carry.
    Correction, you can carry anything you want (other than a gun designated by MGL as an "assault weapon"). The problem is that few guns are legal for a MA Dealer to transfer, therefore prices are ridiculous on things like Glocks, etc. Private transfers are not affected by this law and thus with patience (and lots of $$), one can buy damn near any handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    as far as time and acceptence what town you are in matters but your race is going to matter alot too, sad to say. dispite the aperance of mass as being a progressive post rasism liberal utopia, if you are not white it is going to take longer and will be more likley to be denied. i lived in Mass before i moved to NYC and bouth my parents obtained LTC's
    Race, sex, etc. may well impact what you get for a LTC as some chiefs have indeed shown very visible signs that they don't abide by Federal non-discrimination laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mdanm56 View Post
    I just received my un-restricted class A in Natick. Took about 5 weeks from the day I submitted my form. Depending on where you live, they might limit your license. This is the first time I applied, and I had good references (know the Chief), so I didn't have any problem. If you don't have a history, they have to issue you a license, just not a LTC.
    Wrong, they do NOT have to issue you any LTC at all. MGLs makes it totally discretionary on the chief's part and they can legally use "suitability" to deny you. A man was denied in one town and his only offense was that he was sitting in the children's section of the town's public library and refused to leave that section when told that he couldn't sit there. No criminal action resulted, but he's deemed "unsuitable".

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    There is a ton of info on individual towns wrt difficulty in getting LTCs and laws in MA relating to possession/carrying located in the MA gun laws sub-forum on Northeastshooters.com - Northeastshooters.com News

Happy reading . . . your head is likely to explode after reading all that stuff in the stickies.

my aunt lives in natick about a stone throw away from doug flutie's house.
    i have to say that it has to be one of the safest town i've ever been in. i didn't know they were so strict on gun laws!
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

The statute states the following;

(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms. In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period...

...The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

Source - M.G.L - Chapter 140, Section 131
    Delays and waits on the order of months (i.e. 12 weeks = 3 months) is far beyond lawful allowance by statute and should be investigated on a case by case basis by the applicant as to the issuing authority (town/city or for non-residents and towns with no police force the state police as applicable) and/or direct to the MA 'Firearms Records Bureau'.

Firearms Records Bureau
    Criminal History Systems Board
    200 Arlington Street, Suite 2200
    Chelsea, MA 02150
    (617) 660-4780
    Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB) - Executive Office of Public Safety

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    You actually have a better chance of getting an out-of-state permit which goes throught the State Police than you have of getting an in-state if you llive in a more restricted area.
    Non-resident permits are ridiculous. You have to go through a physical interview and then pay $100 for one year.

Mass gun laws

If you have a DUI or a fist fight on your record no go.
    I have a friend how lost his job as a armed security guard because he got in a fist fight in school and could not renew his LTC.
    Last town I lived in I was only able to get a target and hunting permit.
    Know I have a LTC all lawful purposes. Large capacity.
    It all depends on the city/town you live in.
    Good Luck

jon
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    It all depends on the city/town you live in.
    Good Luck
    This.

Some town chiefs are pro-gun and issue unrestricted LTC's to anyone meeting the legal criteria.
    Others will stick you with a restricted license, if they issue one at all, and not even the best of firearms lawyers can get them to budge.
    In some cases it is cheaper to move to a "green" town. (See the link to NES forums).
    Good luck!

Ma ltc- alp

I had my MA LTC for ALP...At the time I was living in Sharon , went in with the paper work, set up an interview with the chief and I had it within a month...and as others have said one needs to stay within the local town and the local chief will decide! Good luck!
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links