Help ME prove Conceal Carry is Good in my College! PLEASE HELP

Help ME prove Conceal Carry is Good in my College! PLEASE HELP

This is a discussion on Help ME prove Conceal Carry is Good in my College! PLEASE HELP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, Well Im taking a class called Public Policy and we have to give a policy brief on our certain topic area (Narrow focus) ...

Exclamation Help ME prove Conceal Carry is Good in my College! PLEASE HELP

Hey Guys,

Well Im taking a class called Public Policy and we have to give a policy brief on our certain topic area (Narrow focus) Mine happens to be "The Right to Carry" In our presentation we have to Give the Current Policy- Which would be that at 21 you are allowed to carry a gun with a CCW.

Then-
    Current- Concealed Carry
    (I need the benefits I cant find any in my research all liberal quacks)

Alternative 1- which would be no ones allowed to carry

Alternative 2- Only Open carrying no Concealed

Politically feasible alternative- Mine is to leave the system alone and dont change it.

My struggle is I need sources, Scholarly peer reviewed articles and journals to back up my support of Conceal carry. I can only find articles "shooting down the more guns less crime"

Your help is appreciated Thank guys! Help me prove the professor and half the class wrong, it is for a Junior level College class
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought the point of research was to either form a conclusion or test a hypothesis, not reinforce your biases.

Have you searched the online research databases that your university subscribes to?

In literally fifteen seconds I came up with several hits from peer reviewed sources, including several from the JOURNAL OF AMERICAN COLLEGE HEALTH. You may want to start there.

Here's something GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense?

Several research articles/research pieces by Kleck might help

This was put out in 2008. Lots of good statistics in there.

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...s5-0-print.pdf

VIP Member

Naking-- yes, they need to learn to do lit searches

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    In literally fifteen seconds I came up with several hits from peer reviewed sources, including several from the JOURNAL OF AMERICAN COLLEGE HEALTH. You may want to start there.
    My suggestion to this young person would be to go to his school library, confer with a librarian about how to research the topic.

Its awful really, but too many HS and College teachers will think nothing of giving out a library style research assignment but never provide a word of guidance or instruction on how to accomplish the research.

Folks did literature searches before Google came into the world. A student needs to learn how to learn.

See your librarian.

Here's a whole page of links ; I just googled deadly crimes on campus.

Deadly crimes on campus - Google Search
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My suggestion to this young person would be to go to his school library, confer with a librarian about how to research the topic.

Its awful really, but too many HS and College teachers will think nothing of giving out a library style research assignment but never provide a word of guidance or instruction on how to accomplish the research.

Folks did literature searches before Google came into the world. A student needs to learn how to learn.

See your librarian.
    And I remember the days when you would spend hours pulling cards out of drawers well into the night under the dim light of a desk lamp.

....Not to mention becoming motion sick spending hours cranking the knobs of the microfilm machine. My God, where has the time gone?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Ordinarily I would be more than happy to provide reams of research (Having written my own literature reviews and research papers on essentially the same topics), but then I realized that all of the information I cited... I found using web catalog, Lexis-Nexis, JSTOR, or the library catalog itself.

And that anyone else can do the same thing.

My advice is when you find a good source, go and find the originals of the sources your original source cited. That way instead of one source, you now have forty.

I started with Gary Kleck, and that researcher alone gave me nearly a hundred additional sources.

Always go to the original source. All peer-reviewed work or published research books have source citations.

Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I always thought the point of research was to either form a conclusion or test a hypothesis, not reinforce your biases.

Have you searched the online research databases that your university subscribes to?
    Actually it is to prove the null hypothesis.

OP I feel your pain. Check out ebscohost, you should have a subscription through the library at your school. The cremè de la cremè in criminology is the journal by that name. Also check out SAGE publications. I'll shoot you a pm later to get some more for you. Good luck mate
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Links