Questions prior to applying for CCW (IN TEXAS)

This is a discussion on Questions prior to applying for CCW (IN TEXAS) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know some will be brash, and all will be helpful and I thank you for that. I was arrested in 1989/1990 for Grand theft ...

Thread: Questions prior to applying for CCW (IN TEXAS)

Questions prior to applying for CCW (IN TEXAS)

I know some will be brash, and all will be helpful and I thank you for that.
    I was arrested in 1989/1990 for Grand theft 3rd degree (Felony), it is a long story but in short (was an assistant manager at a store in FL), on a weekend night (really busy) there were more than 6 deposits in the safe ready to be dropped, 4 made by the Grnl manager and 2 by me (my dept total 890 usd) I was closing that night, so he took all deposits to the bank (or so I thought). Well months later I went to the police station to get finger printed for a company I was about to start a job with, much to my surprise I was arrested (If I would have known that an arrest warrant was out on me, I would have turned myself in as I knew I had not commited a crime), problem was the manager was arrested posted bail and left the country. I went to court represented self, did the Pre Trial prog, etc paid my deposits back (was cheaper than a lawyer), and the final disposition was NOLLE PROSSE, Charges dropped
    Will I be able to get a license? the statues read yes but I am worried to pay 140 and then loose it because of a denial, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU ALL THINK

2. Remove Ads

You might have to lawyer up on this one but charges that are dropped or dissmissed are like it never happened. So if they were really dropped you should be fine. Now I know they can hold a case in limbo forever neither resulting in a conviction or an aquittal, nor a dissmissal. I forget what this is called (deferred?)but I know that one causes people a lot of grief when they apply for a CHL
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

I forgot to mention, in 2003 or 2004, I was able to get my US citizenship, and in 2006 I was accepted into the US BORDER PATROL ACADEMY, which I attended until I tore and messed my shoulder up (and had to resign). Yes I did Attend the Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    You might have to lawyer up on this one but charges that are dropped or dissmissed are like it never happened. So if they were really dropped you should be fine. Now I know they can hold a case in limbo forever neither resulting in a conviction or an aquittal, nor a dissmissal. I forget what this is called (deferred?)but I know that one causes people a lot of grief when they apply for a CHL
    I just looked at the Court House website and says

Disposition:
    GRD THFT/3D FELONY NOLLE PROS-COMP PTI

According to google "Nolle Pros-Comp PTI means that a case is dropped due to non prosecution. Generally, this is a situaiton where the case is dropped and no action is taken against the defendant."

I would check with someone knowledgeable to be sure but it looks like you are OK
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    According to google "Nolle Pros-Comp PTI means that a case is dropped due to non prosecution. Generally, this is a situaiton where the case is dropped and no action is taken against the defendant."

I would check with someone knowledgeable to be sure but it looks like you are OK
    Thank you, and as I mentioned it, after the arrest I became a US Citizen (if you have a conviction you most likely be denied) and Became a US Border Patrol Agt (which for sure the Felony Conviction would have denied me the Job). but like you said case was dropped and no action taken vs me.

You will need to get the court documents showing that the charges were dropped,and send them in with your paperwork,the arrest will show up on the background check
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You will need to get the court documents showing that the charges were dropped,and send them in with your paperwork,the arrest will show up on the background check

Thank you I have all that, since the Border Patrol Federal Background check was done.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I agree with this statement. I was reading the laws and according to the DPS website on getting a CHL, IF the charges were dropped or there is no conviction then I am sure you should be Ok. I would think that you would have got into the Border Patrol if you were a felon, I do know that being a Felon is DQ for Border Patrol. You could also call customer service at DPS and ask them as well, they are helpful. I am not a lawyer so I cannot advise you on what to do but the statements above are what I would do if I were in your shoes. Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    I agree with this statement. I was reading the laws and according to the DPS website on getting a CHL, IF the charges were dropped or there is no conviction then I am sure you should be Ok. I would think that you would have got into the Border Patrol if you were a felon, I do know that being a Felon is DQ for Border Patrol. You could also call customer service at DPS and ask them as well, they are helpful. I am not a lawyer so I cannot advise you on what to do but the statements above are what I would do if I were in your shoes. Good Luck!!
    You are correct, about the BP etc, I will call them today or tomorrow morning. thank you so much

Links