Question about Tennessee

This is a discussion on Question about Tennessee within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is another thread running that is making me ask my question. If you want to read the other thread, it's here . Now, whether ...

Thread: Question about Tennessee

Question about Tennessee

There is another thread running that is making me ask my question. If you want to read the other thread, it's here.

Now, whether you agree or disagree with the OP on that thread is irrelevant to my question. What his post disclosed to me that I was unaware of was that the State of Tennessee doesn't have absolute preemption on gun laws. This is from HGLaws Tennessee info:
    39-17-1314. Local regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted by state regulation - Actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations or dealers.
    (a) No city, county, or urban-county government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that the provisions of this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986.
    From the information provided by the OP in the other thread, it would appear that Belle Meade has a city ordinance pre-dating state preemption that prohibits any form of carrying a loaded firearm, license or not.

So, I guess I really have two questions.
    1. Is it legal or illegal to CC with a valid permit within the city of Belle Meade, TN?
    2. Based on the preemption limitation of ordinances enacted before April 8, 1986, are there any other cities in Tennessee where carrying is illegal?

Please, don't let the content of the other thread confuse the question. I do drive through and stop in Tennessee when going to see my sister so I find this preemption question to be valid and confusing.

Thanks
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

it looks like you cannot carry in Belle Meade and I have no idea if any other cities fall under that... wonder what the best way to find out is.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Mic
    Looks like its off limits, I had a Tn license when I worked out there in 2003-2004 but never heard of the restrictions in any towns. I would contact the office where your license was issued and get definite clarification. And please update us all when you find out.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    ...............I would contact the office where your license was issued and get definite clarification. And please update us all when you find out.
    I don't actually have a TN license. Tennessee recognizes my home state license (KS) and also recognizes my Utah and NH non-resident licenses. Unless there is a requirement to have signs posted at the city limits or unless the AG keeps a list of cities that have an enforceable code, it would be almost impossible to contact every little city you might pass through while traversing the state to find out if you're legal or not. The state really needs to claim preemption regardless of how old the city ordinance may be. Otherwise you end up in the Twilight Zone without knowing.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

It most likely a non issue unless you were committing another crime...until now. Now that their hand has been pushed it wouldn't suprise me to find them enforcing that law more forefully now.
    We've all been damaged by the actions of one.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Links