motorcycle carry question

This is a discussion on motorcycle carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FIVE TIMES? Fastball, you've gotta slow down!...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: motorcycle carry question

FIVE TIMES? Fastball, you've gotta slow down!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

I haven't read all the replies. I carry on my bike with the gun in my tank bag(held on with a magnet and a quick-release strap), that way I can unzip the bag and have the gun in my hand without having to take my gloves off. and if I leave "close"sight of my bike I'll open the front of the bag and carry the bag with me(which I would do even if I didn't have a weapon in it). The only place that I'd carry on me while riding is inside the jacket front cross draw pocket, less chance of breaking bones.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Never been down on a road bike (dirt bike another story) so I can't say. I carry in my tour pack until I get off, then I pocket carry.

I afraid that inside waistband could become inside abdomen.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    before y'all get bent out of shape... I have a different question...

To those who have carried on a motorcycle and HAVE GONE DOWN, how where you carrying and did you sustain injury because you where carrying?

Spring is going to be here soon and this is the first year I will be riding and carrying... I would like to get something squared away before the weather warms up.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cle-carry.html

I saw this thread for suggestions but no input about what method would work without getting hurt wose because you carried.
    Worry about driving the bike first.

Do you have insurance?

What firearm do you intend to carry while riding?

Will this be open or concealed carry?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Two types of riders on this planet. Those that have been down, and those that will go down.

Keeping the weapon secured is the first and foremost concern. I have not had a chance to do any recreational riding since I got my CC, but when I do, it will be most likely a high ride OWB with a snap retention.

In the event I go down again, I am not so concerned about landing on the weapon or damage caused to it or from it (I have much bigger concerns at the moment), but rather that it does not leave my possession and disappears.

34 years of riding, 1 nasty street accident. I can vouch that locked in a side bag, trunk, or tank bag, the contents are not secure. Your bike does anything but slide, any cargo containers are going to open up like a pinata. My Goldwing had a debris pattern that went for 1/2 a block, and I was only doing 35mph when I got hit.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    FIVE TIMES? Fastball, you've gotta slow down!
    I know a guy that has totaled 8 street bikes, and rolled two horses (yes, I said rolled) in 10 years. Fastball is up there, but not quite at the top yet.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I think your firearm is the last thing you need to worry about if you go down HARD.

1st thing is NOT to Go DOWN.

Ride like everyone is out to KILL you.
    02PSD4ME

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I do the shoulder holster with strap or I put the holster inside my bag. I've been riding for for 15 years now and have not gone down yet, gone off the road, but not down (praise the lord). As it's been put here, you won't know what happens until it does.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have gone down plenty on my dirt bike but haven't yet on the street bike. I don't plan on carrying on my DB when I ride on the track cause usually I'm with friends. If I trail ride I would carry.

I might try a few things for the street. Shoulder and pocket. I EDC a 340PD and 29-3 smith revolvers. I will probably limit to the 340 when I ride due to its small size.

Thanks for the comments all
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    I have gone down plenty on my dirt bike but haven't yet on the street bike. I don't plan on carrying on my DB when I ride on the track cause usually I'm with friends. If I trail ride I would carry.
    The nice part about your dirt bike experience is that you already know what it feels like to have a bike that's out of control and how to correct it. Those reflexes may very well save your life on a street bike.

Ride safe.

before y'all get bent out of shape... I have a different question...

To those who have carried on a motorcycle and HAVE GONE DOWN, how where you carrying and did you sustain injury because you where carrying?

Spring is going to be here soon and this is the first year I will be riding and carrying... I would like to get something squared away before the weather warms up.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cle-carry.html

I saw this thread for suggestions but no input about what method would work without getting hurt wose because you carried.
    I low sided last August with the old lady* on the back (we ride 2 up about 98% of the time). I had my LCP in a Crossbreed at 4:00 Rt-side

That was my 3rd crash** in 30+ years of riding. I pilot a Goldwing and took a reducing radius left turn a little to hot, got a little wide and in the gravel at 20MPH. we skidded about 30'. Those crash bars are PERFECTLY placed the old lady* was ATGATT*** and I had a t-shirt on (not good) She got a cut on her left ring finger......thats was the extent of her injuries

Me on the other hand, major road rash on the left shoulder cracked or broke a couple of ribs and sprained my left ankle.

The gun stayed put, no issues. Even the Sheriff was pretty cool about the gun. I handed him my drivers license and my permit and said "I'm carrying the LCP" he looked at the permit and said "You sure or do I have to go looking through that nice ladies yard for a gun" I said no I have it, he went and did his "thing" came back and gave me my stuff back and asked if I needed a tow truck, I said no, I can drive it home........which I did

Old lady* was fine, Bike got a bent left front engine guard, scraped left rear bag guard (scratched the saddle bag ) other wise the bike is fine......Jmac got beat up.........because he was over confident. Every now-n-then, you need a "wake-up call" Just hope it don't kill you or someone you love

*biker term
    ** Notice I didn't say "accident"
    *** All The Gear, All The Time
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Mine that I carry while on the bike are in the trunk of the bike.

Ride safe

Sticks is right. Anything in those saddlebags are going on their own down the road! I know.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I know a guy that has totaled 8 street bikes, and rolled two horses (yes, I said rolled) in 10 years. Fastball is up there, but not quite at the top yet.
    That guy can keep the title, I don't want it!! The first time was my own dumb fault, came around a corner to hot after a big thunderstorm the day before. Guy's gravel driveway washed out into the road. That was at 16yrs old and the last time I ever road with out a jacket.

The 18 wheeler was the worst and I am sooo freakin' lucky to still be here to talk about it!!

After 25 yrs of riding, (I've been called "hard core" many times, but not quite like those BMW guys), I've put a heck of alot of miles on 2 wheels. Sorta raises my chances, that's for sure. In fact I put more way miles on my bikes than I do my car, (i.e. "my cage"), in a year. It's a disease!!

Either way, RIDE SAFE everyone!!
    Last edited by Fastball; February 25th, 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Darn spelling!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I've only wrecked once on the street and it was back in 1991. It was raining, I went into an easy turn, hit the oil strip causing both tires to slide and slid into the curb. Everything went flying. Damage was just over a $1k to the bike, but I only suffered a sprained ankle. I wasn't carrying at the time, but I think having the pistol in a shoulder holster under the jacket is the best thing so as to not lose it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links