motorcycle carry question

This is a discussion on motorcycle carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was hit on my bike last year. G19 IWB on right hip. Nothing to bad, $4000.00 damage to the new bike, wife thrown and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: motorcycle carry question

I was hit on my bike last year. G19 IWB on right hip. Nothing to bad, $4000.00 damage to the new bike, wife thrown and I stayed in riding position. I walked away without a bruise. Wife had sprained knee.

2. Remove Ads

I have three types of bikes supermoto,sportbike and a cruiser and I carry mine on my side or in a backpack depends on how I feel.
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    something I was thinking about as I was staring at my 340 last night... would a lanyard be a good idea? Or would it get in the way you think?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Depending on what kind of gear you wear, a lot of leather jackets have pockets in the chest area that are big enough to fit some smaller guns. Not easy access, and you won't fit a duty rig into it, but I can definitly fit a snubby wheel gun or compact pistol. But it is on your body, and easy access for me would require removing the gloves anyway, so not really going to be in any quick draw type sittuations.

Not much danger from impact on your upper chest area I think. If you are hitting it there hard enough to do damage, you probably already broke your neck.
    Walk softly ...

My $.02. I went down a couple years ago while carrying. I was traveling about 30 mph. My full size 1911 was in a magnetic tank bag. I came off the bike and down on my left side first, bruising ribs and that shoulder, then did the rag-doll dance for a few yards after that, getting a few more bruises. If I had been wearing my gun in a shoulder holster, I have no doubt my rib injuries would have been worse. The tank bag stayed on the bike. Impossible to say if I had been carrying iwb whether that would have affected my injuries in that particular accident.

Riding my bike is the only time I carry off-body, but I wear my usual iwb holster and transfer my gun to my holster as soon as I get off the bike.

I think a smaller gun might be less likely to contribute to injuries in a bike accident, but that's just a guess. I don't worry about carrying my PM9 iwb while riding though.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I carry OWB about 9 O'clock,If I go down the gun is the least of my worries
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    something I was thinking about as I was staring at my 340 last night... would a lanyard be a good idea? Or would it get in the way you think?

a lanyard for what exactly? i can't imagine you are asking if it's a good idea to hang your handgun from a lanyard.

i carry on the motorcycle, i either put it in my bag (in a holster) or carry IWB as usual. i don't like IWB if i have my bag because then the bag sits near the butt of the gun. i think the ideal thing would be shoulder carry, second to some kind of holster in a tank bag or something otherwise readily accessible, though that depends on where you might be going and if you are going to take the bag with you or if you'd be comfortable removing your firearm from the bag and holstering on your person.

for those who are riding and haven't considered this, i hope it's just because you are not carrying on the bike. anything that's in the way when you go down (cell phone, keys, etc) can potentially cause a lot of problems once you hit the pavement.

i agree that shoulder holsters leave the opportunity for some trunk injuries, but i'd say it's safest and most accessible for carry on person, but really the only halfway safe thing in terms of going down is carrying off-person, but you still run into the issues of potentially losing the firearm etc. unfortunately carrying is just one of the many impracticalities of riding a motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by murfnamedmsu View Post
    a lanyard for what exactly? i can't imagine you are asking if it's a good idea to hang your handgun from a lanyard.
    when a lanyard comes into the carry gear its use is in case the gun is lost out of the holster or dropped from the hand. I was asking for retension and not a primary mode of carry.

I forgot I asked about it. I would answer myself and say its better to retain the gun with a good holster cause a lanyard could just dangle it right into the back wheel.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

AzB
    I had a little biff last Sunday. Hit some sand in a corner on a rainy ride. The sand was left over from the ice a couple weeks ago (I really wish they wouldn't use sand!) and it was the same color as the road when wet.

At any rate, I went down on my right side, the same side I carry my FNP-45... a large gun... and it was held tightly to my side by the shoulder holster and my leathers. It never moved, and I never noticed it in the fall. My shoulder took the brunt of the impact and my fully padded and armored leathers prevented a broken collarbone, I'm sure.

But the point is, the gun stayed safely where it was supposed to be (very important if someone had run me off the road on purpose, the last thing I need is the gun skidding down the road without me when I need it) and it caused no issues being held tightly in place under my arm, even when landing directly on it.

The bike survived, with only some road rash. And yes, I'm fine too.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Oct 18, 1977 I was riding a Honda CB750K while going to get my paycheck from my employer. I was hit, almost head on, by a guy going almost 40 MPH. He tried to cut a turn in front of me ( I was going 20) and hit the left side of the bike. The impact flew me 10 ft onto a guardrail, where I got pinned under it. knocked my shoes off, but the S&W 2 1/2 inch model 19 stayed right under my left , inside a Bianchi model 9R upside down shoulder holster. The police found I was legally carrying, held the gun at thehospital, until my brother came to get it. I was inpatient for 2 weeks, due to injuries sustained, but never got one bit of griaf from the PD. Matter of fact, the two officers whanted to know what kind of holster it was, so they could get one, as they rode motorcycles also
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Maybe a little off topic but some of the effects are close, I break alot of young horses and find myself in mid air at least five times a year. I carry while i ride and usually carry either owb on my off side since I have trained myself to fall more on my right side than my left naturally or in concealed under armour type shirt on my left side again for the same reason. Have never had my firearm come out of my holster or land on it but I also have the advantage of a warning from a pony before he decides to unseat and don't have to worry about getting hit by others like you guys. Hoping to purchase a Harley soon though so I appreciate your thread.

VIP Member
    Quick non-event story here, but somewhat relative nonetheless:

Last Saturday, I took off (I almost always ride alone) to wander some back country here in SC. I still don't have a good solution for carrying, so I just put my 637 in a pocket holster in my leather jacket. I ended up somewhat lost and low on gas somewhere around Leesville. I stopped at a little country store that had an old pump that didn't take credit cards (so I had to go inside). On my way out, I'm approached by a scruffy-looking nub that first complimented my bike. We talked briefly about the cold weather and what he rides, and as I start to leave, he asks if he can take it for a spin (for you non-Harley-owners he may as well have asked to sleep with my wife). The question spun me around and I paused to re-assess the guy as well as the two guys standing behind him leaning up against the building, and watching intently. I politely declined and proceeded to the bike while he walked back to his buddies and they talked amongst themselves while I saddled up and got out of there.

'Like I said - thankfully a non-event. However, if it would have turned ugly, having a firearm stashed in a tank bag would have been totally useless. Maybe pocket-carry is the solution for me? A snubbie zipped up in my jacket pocket will likely hurt a lot less than a G30 pressed up against my ribs if I were to fall off...

I think I will be going with a snub nose for carry. Maybe another mousegun stashed in my pocket too.

I did ride for a little bit though. I put on the IWB holster and grabbed both my UM and Galco pocket holsters. All 3 worked OK. I do like the way I can unzip my coat and put my hands in my pockets (and on the grip) without looking suspicious. I will have to work on some way of securing the gun because my work doesn't allow carry. I'm thinking of a frame mounted safe.

I worry more about loosing control of the weapon if I'm unconscious, and being tended to by medics, or before they arrive a "good Samaritan", than I do losing it in the crash. I usually carry in the "gun" pocket inside my leather jacket in the spring and fall, and IWB in the summer.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Maybe a little off topic but some of the effects are close, I break alot of young horses and find myself in mid air at least five times a year. I carry while i ride and usually carry either owb on my off side since I have trained myself to fall more on my right side than my left naturally or in concealed under armour type shirt on my left side again for the same reason. Have never had my firearm come out of my holster or land on it but I also have the advantage of a warning from a pony before he decides to unseat and don't have to worry about getting hit by others like you guys. Hoping to purchase a Harley soon though so I appreciate your thread.
    Not off topic at all my friend. Not an horse expert here by far, but rode a few here and there and have had the displeasure of finding myself unseated rather quickly by a big ole Quarter Horse named Gus on an occasion or two, sneaky dude LOL. My weapon stayed on during those times also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links