motorcycle carry question - Page 5

motorcycle carry question

This is a discussion on motorcycle carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzB I had a little biff last Sunday. Hit some sand in a corner on a rainy ride. The sand was left ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: motorcycle carry question

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I had a little biff last Sunday. Hit some sand in a corner on a rainy ride. The sand was left over from the ice a couple weeks ago (I really wish they wouldn't use sand!) and it was the same color as the road when wet.

The bike survived, with only some road rash. And yes, I'm fine too.
    Glad it was a minor incident, my friend! Even though I'm chomping at the bit right now, (it was over 65 today), I always wait until some serious rainfall to wash away all those cinders that PA uses on it's roadways. Been there, done that!!

Ride safe!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

remember too, some guns fit perfectly into the side panels. My 5-shot .357 fits really well into mine.

Riding a naked Triumph Speed Triple 1050, being buffeted by the wind constantly, I can't carry IWB because, even though I wear leathers 100% of the time, I worry that some soccer mom might get a glimpse of my 'cell phone' at a stoplight or something.

I have been carrying a little .38 in the 'map pocket' of my Tourmaster leather jacket. It fits really well, and it's positioning keeps it pressed tight to my chest (right above my heart).

On a bike, most of the time you land on your face & hands (and tumble and slide), or on your side (and slide and tumble) - at least that's what my motorcycle class taught. I feel most comfortable with the pistol secure in the front portion of my jacket, so it won't take a beating from the initial impact.

No accidents so far (although I did drop my old GSXR a few years back... avoiding a cat, and I hate cats! That front break is so grabby!). But I do worry if some paramedic were to rush to my side, what could happen if they didn't know I had a weapon, or how to notify them if you are stunned. Of course at that stage I guess it wouldn't matter that much, since I'd be out cold...

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    But I do worry if some paramedic were to rush to my side, what could happen if they didn't know I had a weapon, or how to notify them if you are stunned. Of course at that stage I guess it wouldn't matter that much, since I'd be out cold...
    some of EMT paramedics carry as well. Most times I hear they only disarm you if you have to go to the hospital. Then its the cops that hold it till you can get it or someone can pick it up for you.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Riding a naked Triumph Speed Triple 1050, being buffeted by the wind constantly, I can't carry IWB because, even though I wear leathers 100% of the time, I worry that some soccer mom might get a glimpse of my 'cell phone' at a stoplight or something.
    I don't understand naked bikes - windscreen is a good thing.

On a bike, most of the time you land on your face & hands (and tumble and slide), or on your side (and slide and tumble) - at least that's what my motorcycle class taught.
    Never heard that, but it's logical.

No accidents so far (although I did drop my old GSXR a few years back... avoiding a cat, and I hate cats! That front break is so grabby!). But I do worry if some paramedic were to rush to my side, what could happen if they didn't know I had a weapon, or how to notify them if you are stunned. Of course at that stage I guess it wouldn't matter that much, since I'd be out cold...
    Should replace your "break" with a "brake" As for the paramedics, I'd think it'd be ok, as long as you've got a holster with appropriate retention covering the trigger.

I am so ashamed!

Brake vs. break... sigh...that's what 8 years of higher education does to you! I'm going to leave it up there so you can get a good laugh whenever you want at my expense.

And it wasn't so much about the naked bike, DistantHorizon, as it was about the 1050 triple humming between my legs... wait, that sounds wrong... Anyway, I'm looking at getting the triumph wind screen, which supposedly helps with the buffetting, but it looks kind of ... dumb with it. I like the totally naked look...

...On a bike, most of the time you land on your face & hands (and tumble and slide), or on your side (and slide and tumble...
    I'd argue that with your instructor. I think it is a matter of how old you are and weather or not your parents were either "No, wait....wait for it...There, now he won't do that again", or "Put on your helmet, knee and elbow pads..."

I learned to tuck and roll at an early age, and still do.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    "No, wait....wait for it...There, now he won't do that again"
    was that a Christopher Titus reference?

Penny in the light socket woohoo!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    was that a Christopher Titus reference?

Penny in the light socket woohoo!
    WE HAVE A WINNER!!!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

And it wasn't so much about the naked bike, DistantHorizon, as it was about the 1050 triple humming between my legs... wait, that sounds wrong...
    I don't think I want to know any more!

I like the totally naked look...
    Yeah, I hear you. Generally speaking, the cooler a bike looks, the less practical it is.

I ride a Sportster now; it came with a quick-detach windscreen, which turns it ugly in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Quick non-event story here, but somewhat relative nonetheless:

Last Saturday, I took off (I almost always ride alone) to wander some back country here in SC. I still don't have a good solution for carrying, so I just put my 637 in a pocket holster in my leather jacket. I ended up somewhat lost and low on gas somewhere around Leesville. I stopped at a little country store that had an old pump that didn't take credit cards (so I had to go inside). On my way out, I'm approached by a scruffy-looking nub that first complimented my bike. We talked briefly about the cold weather and what he rides, and as I start to leave, he asks if he can take it for a spin (for you non-Harley-owners he may as well have asked to sleep with my wife). The question spun me around and I paused to re-assess the guy as well as the two guys standing behind him leaning up against the building, and watching intently. I politely declined and proceeded to the bike while he walked back to his buddies and they talked amongst themselves while I saddled up and got out of there.

'Like I said - thankfully a non-event. However, if it would have turned ugly, having a firearm stashed in a tank bag would have been totally useless. Maybe pocket-carry is the solution for me? A snubbie zipped up in my jacket pocket will likely hurt a lot less than a G30 pressed up against my ribs if I were to fall off...
    Good point, especially somewhere that's going to be a good 20-30 minutes from the hospital being flown out (round trip). (I used to work out at station 4 every now and then)

Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Quick non-event story here, but somewhat relative nonetheless:

Last Saturday, I took off (I almost always ride alone) to wander some back country here in SC. I still don't have a good solution for carrying, so I just put my 637 in a pocket holster in my leather jacket. I ended up somewhat lost and low on gas somewhere around Leesville. I stopped at a little country store that had an old pump that didn't take credit cards (so I had to go inside). On my way out, I'm approached by a scruffy-looking nub that first complimented my bike. We talked briefly about the cold weather and what he rides, and as I start to leave, he asks if he can take it for a spin (for you non-Harley-owners he may as well have asked to sleep with my wife). The question spun me around and I paused to re-assess the guy as well as the two guys standing behind him leaning up against the building, and watching intently. I politely declined and proceeded to the bike while he walked back to his buddies and they talked amongst themselves while I saddled up and got out of there.
    A real Biker would never have asked to take someone elses bike "for a ride", Street commandos like that, I don't turn my back on. I would have walked to my bike, kind of sideways or backward, just to impress upon them they should be very careful what they do.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I must have slept with a lot of wives then when I worked on bikes.... The best part was the QC portion of the repair! Wish I could have run the dyno but I wasn't there long enough I guess.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I must have slept with a lot of wives then when I worked on bikes.... The best part was the QC portion of the repair! Wish I could have run the dyno but I wasn't there long enough I guess.
    LOL. I always hated the goofy grin on the mechanic's face when I'd go to pick up my tricked-out Vmax. I cringed on the dyno runs. I'm running a stock motor on the Night Train these days, with some hope of actually getting some mileage out of it.

Old Harley Rider here. I carry in my jacket, zipped in or in my boot /ankle holster/ on HOT days. Yes, I have experienced road rash too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links