motorcycle carry question

This is a discussion on motorcycle carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; before y'all get bent out of shape... I have a different question... To those who have carried on a motorcycle and HAVE GONE DOWN, how ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: motorcycle carry question

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

before y'all get bent out of shape... I have a different question...

To those who have carried on a motorcycle and HAVE GONE DOWN, how where you carrying and did you sustain injury because you where carrying?

Spring is going to be here soon and this is the first year I will be riding and carrying... I would like to get something squared away before the weather warms up.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cle-carry.html

I saw this thread for suggestions but no input about what method would work without getting hurt wose because you carried.
    Last edited by razor02097; February 24th, 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added to last sentance
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    I carry while on my dual sport, and when off road, you do go down. The only time I'll carry off body is then. I carry in my backpack, I don't want anything else to worry about landing on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    ...what method would work without getting hurt.
    I'd love to assure a way to fall off my bike without getting hurt, carrying or not. The fact is, going down on a motorcycle at speed is bad news. I've been riding for a loooonnnggg time, and can say with reasonable confidence that when I go down, it's gonna hurt.

What I'm worried about is retaining my weapon while my body is getting flung across the road. I honestly don't trust my current 4 oclock IWB to stay intact during violent contortions. I'm thinking about going to a shoulder holster with a retention strap.

I'm interested to see what this thread teaches us....

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'd love to assure a way to fall off my bike without getting hurt, carrying or not. The fact is, going down on a motorcycle at speed is bad news. I've been riding for a loooonnnggg time, and can say with reasonable confidence that when I go down, it's gonna hurt.

What I'm worried about is retaining my weapon while my body is getting flung across the road. I honestly don't trust my current 4 oclock IWB to stay intact during violent contortions. I'm thinking about going to a shoulder holster with a retention strap.

I'm interested to see what this thread teaches us....
    I added to the last sentance cause I guess I wasn't clear. I ment being hurt worse because you carried.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    I added to the last sentance cause I guess I wasn't clear. I ment being hurt worse because you carried.
    I think I understood you Razor - my point was that you really can't control how you fall (by the fact that you are falling, you are out of control). In other words, if the gun is strapped to you (anywhere) there's a reasonable chance it will get further embedded upon impact. The alternative is SIXTO's approach.

Thanks for the thread - I've been meaning to post a question like this, just to see how other folks approach it.

shoulder holster

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm thinking about going to a shoulder holster with a retention strap. .
    I use a shoulder holster when I am on my bike.
    Mike from Colorado

before y'all get bent out of shape... I have a different question...

To those who have carried on a motorcycle and HAVE GONE DOWN, how where you carrying and did you sustain injury because you where carrying?

Spring is going to be here soon and this is the first year I will be riding and carrying... I would like to get something squared away before the weather warms up.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cle-carry.html

I saw this thread for suggestions but no input about what method would work without getting hurt wose because you carried.
    LOL...I did get injured while riding...it felt like my XD was no longer secure in a kydex IWB holster so while riding I reached back to adjust and re-secure the weapon. When I did so I drug about an inch of my love handle into the holster with the pistol..HOLY CRAP!!! that hurt!

I still carry OWB and IWB while riding and have never given a thought to what would happen if I went down. Interesting thread.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by circle1 View Post
    I use a shoulder holster when I am on my bike.
    +1. No crashes.

Az

Lead Moderator
    Shoulder holster carry , but I have only gone down at low speed off road with my dual sport . No injuries .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

How would a shoulder holster be any better?

I can see for concealment where one might work better (summer riding, shirts ride up), but I don't see where you going down and getting the gun jabbed into you to the point of producing extra injuries than you would have already got is any less likely to happen with a shoulder holster

I low sided my '81 GS-1000 a few years back when a "grandma" pulled out of a parking lot in front of me. I was doing about 45 (it was a 45 zone). ATGATT paid off for me.

I was carrying a full size 9mm in a Vertical carry Uncle MIke's shoulder rig. It has a 'thumb strap' retention. Worked perfectly. Of all the things that went wrong and I did wrong (get off the damned rear brake dummy!! STEER!!!), my sidearm was not a problem. Even after bouncing around and doing the rag-doll for a bit, not even a bruise from the gun or rig. Few from other hard bits meeting soft ol man - but not the gun and it stayed where I wanted it.

I do think a horizontal carry shoulder rig may have been a bit of an issue with a full size pistol.
    "You see, wire telegraphy is a kind of a very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? Radio operates exactly the same way, except there is no cat."
    -- Attributed to Albert Einstein

I'd think a shoulder holster would be a certain rib-breaker, if not worse. I ride like I carry...IWB at 4:00. Seems to me that position would do the least damage if going down. I'm not worrying about losing the gun, just the collateral damage it would do to me. I have fallen off a quad with the IWB and landed on that side. The flat 1911 and Sparks holster didn't even make a bruise.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

This is where a pocket gun really shines. I wear full gear now, and was wearing gloves, jacket, helmet and boots when I went down. My 642 rides in a cheapo uncle mikes pocket holster in the outside zippered pocket of my jacket. No worries about retention, and it didn't hurt me any more while sliding across the pavement.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'd think a shoulder holster would be a certain rib-breaker, if not worse. I ride like I carry...IWB at 4:00. Seems to me that position would do the least damage if going down. I'm not worrying about losing the gun, just the collateral damage it would do to me. I have fallen off a quad with the IWB and landed on that side. The flat 1911 and Sparks holster didn't even make a bruise.
    I've been riding for almost 40 years and have been in the business. I've raced professionally and I've owned my own shop. I've been down, and I've known many other people that have gone down.

And I can safely say that there is absolutely no way to second guess what's going to happen in a crash.

I wear a shoulder holster because it's more comfortable, and since I wear leathers year round, it's easy to keep anything concealed. But the main advantage of a shoulder holster under leathers is that the gun is far less likely to leave my person and go skidding down the road by itself.

As in anything (like motorcycling) there is always risk. You manage the risk in whatever way makes you comfortable.

Az

I carry on the inside of my right Alpinestar boot. I have a small IWB Uncle Mike's holster that secures my little .380 perfectly.

Yeah, it's one of those places you can not get to it as fast, but when I go to events in the summer, I have to take my coat off. So OWB, shoulder rigs are out of the question. And IWB is just not a great idea in my opinion, considering my experiences of bouncing off the pavement 5 times! Amen to full gear!

Remember!! Dress for the fall, not the ride!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links