Recommendations on carry

This is a discussion on Recommendations on carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After an incident that I relate at another time, I have decided to start carrying a handgun when I am at home and in my ...

Thread: Recommendations on carry

Bravo3

Recommendations on carry

After an incident that I relate at another time, I have decided to start carrying a handgun when I am at home and in my car. I doubt I will carry concealed or open legally but since I am a law abiding person I doubt I will ever get checked. My question is, what recommendations your members may have regarding what I should carry. Makes, models, caliber, etc. Having been in the military, I have experience around firearms but do not have the knowledge of personal firearms. Any recommendations you could give me would help.

Bravo3

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder

Carry Recommendations

Welcome, Bravo3! Since this is a new forum with members just now coming on board, I will try to answer your questions from my point of view. Others will reply over time. And this is one issue where you proibably need input from several different people.

First, your being from California, I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you visit the Packing.org website and research requirements for concealed carry in the state of California. They are VERY strict if you should get caught with a loaded weapon within your control in a vehicle. Don\'t gamble on this. California does issue concealed carry licenses and, in my opinion, you should get one. At home, in California, I believe you are free to carry in any manner you desire.

In response to your questions regarding makes, models, calibers I will tell you that it is very hard for any one person to tell you, specifically, what you should carry. You will need to make a decision about whether you prefer a revolver or a semi automatic. If you haven\'t had the opportunity to shoot each of them, you may want to visit your local range and see if they have loaners for you to try out. I know many of the ranges here in Arizona do. Some of the more popular revolver calibers are .38, .357 mag, .40, .41 mag and .45. My recommendation for a revolver would be the .357 mag. This gives you the option of shooting either .38 or .357 out of the same weapon. For a semi automatic 9mm, .40, 10mm, .45 are the most common self defense calibers. My preference would be the .40 or the .45. Many people will recommend the 9mm, which I have as well, but I prefer a bit more punch you get with the .40/.45 calibers. Again, you may want to shoot each of these before you actually spend your money.

Regardless of which you decide on, stick with the major manufacturers like Sig, H&K, Ruger, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Beretta, Glock, Springfield Arms, Kimber, Para Ordnance, etc. I would not recommend that you consider military surplus pistols or the lower quality offerings out there as your first handgun.

Some will, of course, disagree but my recommendations would be:

Semi Automatic: .40 caliber from any of the above manufacturers (my preference is the Sig) 3.5-4\" barrel, stainless or blued. The Sig is a little more expensive than some of the others.

Revolver: Smith & Wesson .357mag with a barrel length between 2-4\", stainless or blued.

There are compact models that are in the lower end of barrel length range above, but I would opt for the 4\" barrel in either type.

You should also strongly consider taking an entry level shooting course to insure that you learn the necessary safety rules.

Bravo3

Your Recommendations

Thanks. Your recommendations are similar to those of a friend of mine who is a police officer. I am leaning strongly toward a 40 caliber. I doubt that I could afford a Sig right now. I am leaning toward either a CZ or a Glock, but will probably take your advice and visit a range where I can test drive several different makes and models. I am also going to take a firearms safety class. Do you know of a good class here in the San Diego area by chance?

DC Founder

CZ and Glock

I have been hearing more an more good reviews of the CZ. I can\'t speak from experience at this point, but they do sound like good solid autoloaders.

I am also glad to hear you are taking a firearms safety class. It is a good investment.

Administrator

Very Good Advice From Bumper

While you could possibly & eventually get yourself \"off the hook\" on your \"constitutional right to carry\" (should you get caught WITHOUT a license to carry) - the legal/lawyer fees (the hassle) & the court time expended would make it far more prudent just to go & get yourself legal to carry in your state.

You better think long and hard about carrying in your car. Might be alright around your home But you could find yourself with some big lawyer bills and even loose the right to own a firearm. Ca is a sorry state when it comes to firearms.
    Better idea move to a free state.

Bumper pretty much covered it as did most the other hard to beat a 357 snubbie or a small 9mm ... as to the legalitys of getting caught with out a permit good luck i know there harsh here and im no in PRK

holycow that is broad question.

My short and sweet answere to the best carry gun would be..

The largest caliber you can handle in the largest platform (read: gun) you can conceal within a reasonable amount money.

Might i add that when you do get a holster, don\'t skimp on it and get some $10 generic gun show holster. Only exeption to this rule might be the Uncle Mike SideKick holsters which seem to be fairly decent. But i would only use the SideKick holsters as a temporory holster while you do your research for a better holster.

I highly recommend the Galco Skyops holster.
    Its a tuckable inside the waistband holster.

DC Founder
    What a difference 6 months makes. In that time we have thoroughly corrupted Bravo3 into carrying full time :D

Right on, Bumper.

Bravo3 - The above post are very good advice. You will probably get more than one gun with leather for each. One will be duty size and the other will prob be sub compact. With the subs, I like pocket carry. The best and most cost effective purchase, after you determine whether revo/auto and .38/9mm, will either be a police trade in, or a 9mm Makarov. Maks are dirt cheap and very reliable. The 9mm mak is marginal, but the cost/reliability/size factors balance it out.

If you are leaning towards a CZ, may I suggest you look at both the PCR and PO1? Both outstanding carry guns, with great reps, inexpensive as top quality goes, and the best value of pistol out there, IMHO. Find a local range that rents guns, and try one out.
    Good luck getting a CCW in Cali - I knew two who had permits, so it can be done, just a ROYAL pain. Or, you could come across the Wall into AZ, where the laws are a LOT better.....

Links