Renewing expired Texas CHL

This is a discussion on Renewing expired Texas CHL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CHL from Texas but it expired. I'm living out of the country now but plan to return to the US in the ...

Thread: Renewing expired Texas CHL

VIP Member

Renewing expired Texas CHL

I have a CHL from Texas but it expired. I'm living out of the country now but plan to return to the US in the near future. Will I be able to renew my expired license or will I have to apply for a brand new license?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

I believe you will have to apply for a new permit based on the statutes.

Sec. 411.185. RENEWAL. (a) To renew a license, a license holder must:
    (1) complete a continuing education course in handgun proficiency under Section 411.188(c) within the six-month period preceding:
    (A) the date of application for renewal, for a first or second renewal; and
    (B) the date of application for renewal or the date of application for the preceding renewal, for a third or subsequent renewal, to ensure that the license holder is not required to complete the course more than once in any 10-year period;
    (2) obtain a handgun proficiency certificate under Section 411.189 within the six-month period preceding:
    (A) the date of application for renewal, for a first or second renewal; and
    (B) the date of application for renewal or the date of application for the preceding renewal, for a third or subsequent renewal, to ensure that the license holder is not required to obtain the certificate more than once in any 10-year period; and
    (3) submit to the department:
    (A) an application for renewal on a form provided by the department;
    (B) a copy of the handgun proficiency certificate;
    (C) payment of a nonrefundable renewal fee as set by the department; and
    (D) two recent color passport photographs of the applicant.
    (b) The director by rule shall adopt a renewal application form requiring an update of the information on the original completed application. The director by rule shall set the renewal fee in an amount that is sufficient to cover the actual cost to the department to renew a license. Not later than the 60th day before the expiration date of the license, the department shall mail to each license holder a written notice of the expiration of the license and a renewal form.
    (c) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements and submits all the renewal materials. Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewal or notify the license holder in writing that the renewal application was denied.
    (d) The director by rule shall adopt a procedure by which a license holder who satisfies the eligibility criteria may renew a license by mail. The materials for renewal by mail must include a form to be signed and returned to the department by the applicant that describes state law regarding:
    (1) the use of deadly force; and
    (2) the places where it is unlawful for the holder of a license issued under this subchapter to carry a concealed handgun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I don't know if you will get the same license number or not, but I believe you will have to go through the whole 8 hour course again. Since your license has expired, you are not eligible to can renew your license in the 4 hour renewal course. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

In Texas if your license is allowed to expire you have to start all over.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Links