Hotel rooms

Hotel rooms

This is a discussion on Hotel rooms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know if this is the right spot for this question, but here goes: Next week I'll be traveling from Kansas through Oklahoma to Ft. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotel rooms

Hotel rooms

Don't know if this is the right spot for this question, but here goes:

Next week I'll be traveling from Kansas through Oklahoma to Ft. Worth & will be staying in a motel for a couple nights. I don't (yet) have A CC permit but still want to be prepared, particularly in the motel room.

From what I've read, once I'm in for the evening, locked & loaded is legit in my Ft. Worth motel room, regardless of signage around hotel lobbies, etc.

Correct?

Depending on the state you may be able to carry while traveling. in Arkansas you can carry if you are on a "Journey" outside of your normal routine. check the laws in each state
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

You are going to to have to do some homework on this trip. It may get a bit complicated. I'm looking at it from a CWP from Montana and it looks like if i were making this trip, I be studying the big Goog and more, and you don't have a permit yet?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I believe in Texas if you are traveling over night you can have a firearm for protection but not carry without a permit. To be honest as long as you are not acting like a fool you should be ok in Texas.

Who's gonna know???
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwood View Post
    I believe in Texas if you are traveling over night you can have a firearm for protection but not carry without a permit. To be honest as long as you are not acting like a fool you should be ok in Texas.
    Didn't TX pass a new law that allows non-permit owners to have a gun in their car?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

As far as Texas is concerned. Youre allowed to have a weapon locked and loaded for travel purposes. however that weapon must be concealed while traveling. Once you have a room in a hotel youre allowed to defend that room with which you reside in. Hope this helps.
    Chris

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed herein are the views of MYSELF and should not be taken as the views of the agency for whom I work for!

for a hotel room whould not a shotgun make more sense then a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post

sure but i normally dont carry a long gun when traveling just another large bag in my mustang which isnt know for trunk space.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

VIP Member
    No, actually not any more than if it was your bedroom.

You have on average 3 seconds to respond to an assailant that is attacking you in your bedroom at home or in a hotel room.

Unless you sleep with your shot gun it is probably going to be to too far away in the corner of the room. In a hotel/motel. Half the time I don't know my whereabouts in a new surrounding like a hotel except for what is near me. Like at the bed side.

A pistol is my choice.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

actually, i am considering my mossberg 590 because, one, transporting an unloaded shotgun across state lines is much less of an issue with some barney fife LEO than a handgun, and two, overnight it would be no further away from me than my .357 would be.

downside, in a hotel room my neighbors are much closer than they are in a single family dwelling. loading 00 buckshot would be out of the question, but even 7.5 express bird shot can punch through several layers of sheetrock from 10-15 feet away.

obviously, a .357 or .38sp hollowpoint will penetrate the sheetrock just as well.

I have spent the last 17 years on the road and living in motels during the week. I kept a Moss 500 in a golf bag for the longest time when I had to go to states that wouldn't honor my Oregon permit. Just don't be stupid and you should be fine.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    I kept a Moss 500 in a golf bag for the longest time when I had to go to states that wouldn't honor my Oregon permit.

I could see a new sport with a pitching wedge and a shotgun.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    In Texas, without a permit, you can carry in your residence, car, and place of business. I would assume the hotel is considered a residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post

From what I've read, once I'm in for the evening, locked & loaded is legit in my Ft. Worth motel room, regardless of signage around hotel lobbies, etc.

Correct?
    So it seems to me that the OP is asking about in his motel room only.

Your motel room is like your home. So long as your firearm is legal to possess where the motel room is located you should be fine. You may want to be aware of any "deadly force" laws that may be quirky where you are staying. Also I'm sure you have a plan to secure your firearm when you are not in the room.

A good doorstop is a nice thing to carry with you. Block it under the door at night. I use them for two reasons. Occasionally the desk clerk messes up and double books a room. Nothing like being dead asleep and having someone with a key open the door. The other being the forced entry to do you harm. It will buy you a little time depending on the carpet/tile etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links