Washington State/Florida Sign Reciprocity Agreement

This is a discussion on Washington State/Florida Sign Reciprocity Agreement within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FL and WA have agreeded to honor each others permit/license to carry. This is more good news for those who travel and carry firearms. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington State/Florida Sign Reciprocity Agreement

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

FL and WA have agreeded to honor each others permit/license to carry. This is more good news for those who travel and carry firearms. I look for more agreements and other positive law changes in the coming months concerning carrying firearms.
    FL Reciprocity Info: Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    WA Reciprocity Info: Concealed Weapon Reciprocity
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I was about to be very upset that I just got a wa permit last month. Then I read the florida page where it states that you must be a florida resident for washington to accept it... now I'm feeling better again :) .. that money did not go to waste after all...

crf3973,

Washington will honor a FL non resident permit. It is FL that will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. So a WA non resident permit is not valid in FL.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Well, I'm pissed again..lol. thanks for the clarification!

Good stuff Gary: the first state to have shall-issue (Washington) is finally in reciprocity with the second state (Florida)!

-Bill

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Out-bloody-standing!

I avoid Florida whenever possible, but this will make the trip easier if I ever do go again.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    crf3973,

Washington will honor a FL non resident permit. It is FL that will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. So a WA non resident permit is not valid in FL.
    It's a little confusing. The Washington site states that it will recognize permits issued by Florida, and doesn't specify resident or non-resident.

The Florida site states that Washington will only recognize resident permits from Florida.

I would suspect that the error is on the Florida site.
    Washington (1,4)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    It's a little confusing. The Washington site states that it will recognize permits issued by Florida, and doesn't specify resident or non-resident.

The Florida site states that Washington will only recognize resident permits from Florida.

I would suspect that the error is on the Florida site.
    The link above to the Washington site is not who it (Washington) honors, but who honors theirs. In this case, both states will only accept resident permits.

Florida* (WA residents only)

Washington (1,4)
    (4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

Washington State has never stated in the past that they will only honor Resident permits. I believe this is an error on the FL Reciprocity Page. I have an email into my contact in the FL government who takes care of signing agreements to find out if this is fact or just an error on their web site. I will post what I hear back from FL.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    The link above to the Washington site is not who it (Washington) honors, but who honors theirs. In this case, both states will only accept resident permits.
    Actually, the list is both. It also notes that Florida only honors WA residents, but says nothing about Washington only recognizing Florida Residents.

Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.

Florida* (WA residents only)
    Florida's site states that Washington only recognizes Florida licenses if the licensee is a resident of Florida.

Washington (1,4)
    I think Gary is on the right track in checking with his source in Florida.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    If you are carrying in WA with a FL carry permit, you can expect to be subject to the WA interpretation of the agreement (which, in this case, appears to be the better deal!). If the WA site only specifies "permits issued by Florida" and says nothing of residency, then that is all WA state will require. Just make sure of the language in the agreement.

The WA site tells me that I have to be a WA resident. But WA authorities won't be making the call if I get pulled over in FL. I need to know what Florida plans to do with non-rez WA CPLs. And folks bearing a non-rez FL license need to find out how Washington intends to handle it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

WA May not honor FL non resident permit

I contacted the FL dept that issues permit/licenses and was told that from his understanding that since FL would not honor a WA non resident permit WA would not honor a FL non resident permit. I was instructed to contact WA AG for more info. So I have done that. I sure hope this is not true as it just makes it so hard to show that non resident permits are valid WA for some states but not others.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

WA to FL

Three thousand 300 miles from here... but I guess it is a step in the right direction.

One small step for man,one giant step for mankind
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good news! That was one we didn't have that I might take advantage of...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links