Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry

This is a discussion on Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by youngda9 How do does a Toledo Blade compare to Knives of Alaska...It appears they're not as sharp. The editors of the Toledo ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    How do does a Toledo Blade compare to Knives of Alaska...It appears they're not as sharp.
    The editors of the Toledo Blob are about as sharp as a bowling ball.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    The editors of the Toledo Blob are about as sharp as a bowling ball.
    ^^^^YEP^^^^^^

They catch on like a wet match

They are so dumb, they think a Mexican border pays rent

"When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die you are smiling and everyone around you is crying."
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Considering the fact that you paint the entire state of Ohio by one editorial in a second rate newspaper, I'm glad you no longer live in Ohio as well.
    Well your reply pretty much shows your character. You don't know me and anything about my relation to the state of Ohio. I was born there and lived there for 43 years of my life. It was a great place to live until the east coast liberalism started to infest it. Now having lived here for some time I see there are some really rude people there as evidenced by your attitude.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Minnesota doesn't have any of these stupid laws. If you have a permit, you can carry in a bar or restaurant, BUT you must have a BAC of less than 0.04%. That doesn't prevent you from having ONE drink with dinner, but I don't drink when carrying. It has not been a problem, just like it is not a problem in other states that don't restrict carry in bars.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

The Toledo area is NOT representative of the rest of OH. As an example, Toledo has a ban on high capaity magazines that does not apply to anywhere else in Ohio. The local NRA instructors in the central and southern parts of OH report at least a 33% increase in CHL class registrations and attendance. There are always going to be certain parts of a state, city, etc. that do not represent the majority. Please be responsible and don't stereo-type people.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

VIP Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    The Toledo area is NOT representative of the rest of OH. As an example, Toledo has a ban on high capaity magazines that does not apply to anywhere else in Ohio.
    No offense meant. However, IMHO, lack of State Preemption should be near the top of any RKBA agenda -- probably # 2, right after "must issue".

Having every locality making a hodgepodge of rules creates a mine-field for the carrier. When it's legal here but not there (whatever it is) the results is a micro-version of the mismatch of different laws in different States. However, IMHO, it is far more difficult to stay on top of the variation and to stay legal.

The antis will be all over local rules/laws to keep carry so dangerous and logistically complicated that folk just don't exercise their rights.

First the Anties try outright banning -- e.g., Washington, DC. Next, they go for "may issue" and don't -- e.g. Maryland. Next is to create a mind-field of "yes-but-not-here" & "yes-but-not-that" -- which when done on the local level is a nightmare.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 27th, 2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    The Toledo area is NOT representative of the rest of OH. As an example, Toledo has a ban on high capaity magazines that does not apply to anywhere else in Ohio. The local NRA instructors in the central and southern parts of OH report at least a 33% increase in CHL class registrations and attendance. There are always going to be certain parts of a state, city, etc. that do not represent the majority. Please be responsible and don't stereo-type people.
    You are absolutely correct. I live in Wood County. When Crazy Carty was the mayor, he did a lot to screw up Toledo. There are a lot of good things about Toledo - Art Museum, Tony Packos, the Toledo Zoo, and so on. Unfortunately, the local politics and in particular, and the Block family have done immeasurable harm to Toledo. The Blob has (or had) a policy to publish the names and addresses of anyone who applied for a concealed carry permit in Lucas County. That was really a boon to the adjacent counties. We got a lot of folks coming to the Wood County Sheriff's Department and applying for their permits because the local paper did not have a similar policy. And Toledo is certainly not representative of all of Ohio. I irks me to see Ohio painted with such a broad brush.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

That write-up is fear-mongering at its worst. It doesn't even pose good arguments for the point. I'm disappointed. Fewer and fewer people are feeling swayed by such rants, I think, because they're seeing what's behind the green curtain. They're seeing the puppet and strings. The average "Joe" has been played by such fear-mongering ... and he doesn't like it.

Gun rights advocates have managed to turn unfounded fear about what they say may happen into all sorts of pro-gun measures winning approval in state legislatures.
    "Unfounded" fears. Hm. And yet, crimes happen in each and every one of those previously "gun-free" areas in question. Well-founded concerns, rather.

Here's the rub. Statutes regarding this or that place in which a person's criminalized for carrying a weapon simply don't alter criminal behavior. Such statutes merely criminalize benign behavior of upstanding citizens. Perhaps it adds a minor bit of added dissuasion to people who would be committing armed robbery, rape, murder. But then, the laws on the books for such crimes are already fairly stiff in their penalties. Beyond which, no criminal gives a damn about a silly firearms law, when he's perfectly willing to commit armed robbery, rape, murder.

In the end, the vast majority of citizens realize the responsibility that comes with driving a car, carrying defensive weaponry, and the like. Such things aren't something you do when drunk. No statute will change that, and any threatening behavior will be swept up in a myriad of other laws on the books already.

Pointless, petty, political wrangling done in the legislatures? It's little more than fiddling while Rome burns.

Not anymore. Good on ya, "average Joe." Good on ya.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Decent citizens should be disarmed in restaurants because it worked out so well for 24 people at Luby's Cafeteria.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

toledo is weird in such many different ways. i just hope the genral assembly make changes to conceal and carry laws in today meeting. they are not very clear in some areas and in other aeras like carrying a loaded weapons in a veichile leave me straching ym head

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    That's strange, right next door here in PA it's perfectly legal to carry into any establishment that sells, or serves alcohol. We don't have any of the stupid and ineffective "can't sit at the bar", "not allowed to drink", "can't carry in there if ___% of their sales are alcohol", "illegal to carry while 'intoxicated'", etc. regulations either. It just isn't a problem. The dogmatic proclamations of "Guns and alcohol don't mix.", and "JUST DON'T DO IT." made by supposed proponents of our RKBA probably don't help.
    Very strange, cause us in Indiana on the other side have the same rights more or less than PA! KY and WV to the south also, so what gives?

Reminds me of IL, surrounded by free states and they think the sky will fall if they lax their gun laws!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Here's the logic:
    • Food and drink is legal, in Ohio.
    • Being armed with a defensive firearm is legal, in Ohio.
    • But daring to be armed at a place where one eats is so heinous, to terrible, such a threat to the safety of others that such folks need to be imprisoned and made to pay.
    Ridiculous.

All the while, crimes in restaurants continue to occur.

What is it about restaurants that makes them immune and exempt from crime? Bueller? Bueller ...?

I'm assuming that the Editor of the Toledo Blade has conveniently forgotten the Luby's Cafe massacre. Dead bodies everywhere, primarily because the TX legislature saw fit to disarm its own citizens in common, ordinary, everyday locations around town. Utter insanity.

And some people in dangerous positions of power want to do the same thing to the citizens of Ohio, to render them impotent when crime comes calling.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

to all,

and you are SURPRISED that the main-SLIME press opposes CCW folks carrying in resturants?

the FACT that it is NOT "a problem" in those states, where it IS lawful, is meaning-LESS to the anti-gun LUNATICS, as they are clue-LESS and/or DISHONEST.

btw, i have an apartment in VA & OPEN CARRY in restaurants/bars is LAWFUL. - the nitwits of the legislature thought that hardly anyone would OC. boy, did they get a SURPRISE, as so many people OC here that nobody "turns a hair", when they see a handgun.
    (funny how things can backfire on the FOOLS in the government.)

fyi, i go to a luncheon each SAT at a Tex-Mex place in Arlington county, that serves bottled beer. about half of the attendees each week are OC & about 6 weeks ago 2 ABC special agents came into the place, while i was there.

they saw my holstered P6 (while i was getting a refill on iced tea) & one asked me what i was carrying.
    i said, "a Sig-Sauer P6".
    "NICE PIECE!" said the ABC guy.
    (i HAD to chuckle, when i got back to my table.)

yours, TN46
    Last edited by texasnative46; March 27th, 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    to all,

and you are SURPRISED that the main-SLIME press opposes CCW folks carrying in resturants?
    No. Not surprised.

Angered at the lunacy and stupidity, by the frenetic actions many resort to in order to have normal, non-threatening people jumped on with all legal force available. The utter stupidity to equate "gun" with threat, without an ounce of supporting or corroborating circumstance anywhere in sight. As we all know, threatening words/actions/behavior is the only thing that equates with threat, of course. And they never see it. It's absurd they survive, being so naive.

they saw my holstered P6 (while i was getting a refill on iced tea) & one asked me what i was carrying.

i said, "a Sig-Sauer P6".

"NICE PIECE!" said the ABC guy.

(i HAD to chuckle, when i got back to my table.)
    That's the way it should be. Normal people carrying normal things, engaging with other nice folks on a sunny day. It's little more threatening than that.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; March 27th, 2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dr Hupp

ccw9mm,

fwiw, i KNOW Dr Susannah Hupp, whose parents were SLAUGHTERED at Luby's cafeteria that awful day. = she is a member of Second Amendment Sisters.
    (fyi, i'm one of a very few men who are actually members of SAS - i used to date one of the founding members.)

we asked "the good doctor" to speak about her loss at an SAS rally. - she got about half-way through her prepared talk, but broke down crying & couldn't finish. = having both your parents murdered in front of you isn't something that you easily (if ever) get over.

also, i LOST 2 childhood friends & several people that i knew at the Daingerfield (TX) Church Massacre, where ONE lunatic came into the church with several rifles & started killing church members, just because he HATED Christians & later said that "They deserved to die for being religious". ====> Daingerfield/Morris County has STILL not recovered from that NIGHT OF HORROR.
    (Texas at that time PROHIBITED anyone from being IN a "place of worship" while armed - this included sworn LEOs!)

the more i learn about government "public servants", the better i like spiders & snakes.

just my opinion.

yours, TN46

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links