Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry

This is a discussion on Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Blade is taking on the Gun Lobby and opposes the resturant carry measure Todays Editorial 2.26.10 titled: Get a handle on guns WITH any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry

Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry

The Blade is taking on the Gun Lobby and opposes the resturant carry measure

Todays Editorial 2.26.10 titled: Get a handle on guns

WITH any luck, an Ohio measure pushed by concealed-carry activists will languish in committee and never see the light of day. As we've said before, guns-in-bars legislation is a bad idea because firearms don't belong in any place that serves alcohol.

There is a disturbing trend toward relaxed gun laws and expanded gun rights in more states. Behind the push for more guns and less regulation is manufactured alarm about what the Obama Administration allegedly intends to do to restrict the right to bear arms and ammunition.

Never mind that President Obama has disappointed gun control groups by signing bills that permit guns to be carried in national parks and in train luggage. Gun rights advocates have managed to turn unfounded fear about what they say may happen into all sorts of pro-gun measures winning approval in state legislatures.

In Virginia, less than three years after the shootings at Virginia Tech claimed 33 lives and prompted a national drive for increased gun control, the General Assembly approved a bill that allows concealed weapons to be carried in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Another state measure that would repeal a ban on buying more than one handgun a month is moving toward passage.

Nearly half a dozen gun rights bills are being considered by lawmakers in Arizona and Wyoming. The Indiana legislature passed bills last month that prohibit private companies from banning firearms in employee cars on company property.

Other states are considering measures similar to laws adopted in Tennessee and Montana that exempt those states from federal regulation of firearms and ammunition. The National Rifle Association is on a roll, urging gun owners to "stay ready" for when the administration pounces.
    Ohioans can only hope wiser heads will prevail in Columbus.

You can e-mail letters (plain text only, no attachments) to the editor in response at; letters@theblade.com

2. Remove Ads

And my response to same. The Toledo Blob, which hails itself to be, "one of Americas fine newspapers," is quite the opposite.

“In Virginia, less than three years after the shootings at Virginia Tech claimed 33 lives and prompted a national drive for increased gun control, the General Assembly approved a bill that allows concealed weapons to be carried in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Another state measure that would repeal a ban on buying more than one handgun a month is moving toward passage.”

I’m curious as to what the above has to do with legal carry in a restaurant. Or how it relates to those of us who are legal concealed carry permit holders.

But, once again, you show that the editorial staff of the Toledo Blade is wont to allow facts to get in the way of sensationalism.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Just another blind and completely ignorant writer. They always bring up these stories like Virgina Tech, etc., but as you all know, that has nothing to do with legal, LAW ABIDING (with background checks) permit carriers.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by elad View Post
    As we've said before, guns-in-bars legislation is a bad idea because firearms don't belong in any place that serves alcohol.
    That's strange, right next door here in PA it's perfectly legal to carry into any establishment that sells, or serves alcohol. We don't have any of the stupid and ineffective "can't sit at the bar", "not allowed to drink", "can't carry in there if ___% of their sales are alcohol", "illegal to carry while 'intoxicated'", etc. regulations either. It just isn't a problem. The dogmatic proclamations of "Guns and alcohol don't mix.", and "JUST DON'T DO IT." made by supposed proponents of our RKBA probably don't help.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I love how anti's bring up Virginia Tech like that's a reason for gun control. To me, that's an obvious reason AGAINST gun control. What if just one of those victims was armed. What if he/she could have gotten a few bullets off, killing the shooter. How many lives would have been saved?

And what did that have to do with restaurant carry? Nothing. It's just bringing up a tragedy to invoke emotions of the readers. I love how they don't mention the states that have similar laws, or more relaxed laws, and don't have drunken shoot outs all the time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    The dogmatic proclamations of "Guns and alcohol don't mix.", and "JUST DON'T DO IT." made by supposed proponents of our RKBA probably don't help.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely true!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I love how anti's bring up Virginia Tech like that's a reason for gun control. To me, that's an obvious reason AGAINST gun control. What if just one of those victims was armed. What if he/she could have gotten a few bullets off, killing the shooter. How many lives would have been saved?
    One detail that the anti-RKBA folk try to bury is that there were two CHP holders in the building, who were unarmed because of the schools internal policy.

They were obeying the rules while the shooter was totally undeterred by them and a bunch of laws -- like against murder.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Just another blind and completely ignorant writer. They always bring up these stories like Virgina Tech, etc., but as you all know, that has nothing to do with legal, LAW ABIDING (with background checks) permit carriers.
    They act like pushing for more gun rights is new with the (as a result of the) Obama administration -- where the h e dbl hockey-sticks have these people been for the last 15 years?
    Last edited by DaveH; February 26th, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Just emailed this to the editor:

Being a CPL holder, and coming from a state that allows concealed carry in establishments that make less than 51% of their overall profits in the sales of alcohol, I am curious as to how the horrible shootings at Virginia Tech relate in any way to concealed carry in alcohol-serving locations. It seems as though this example, fresh in everyone's minds, was mentioned soley to stir emotions and fuel the "all guns are bad" fire. If these are related, we should look into laws limiting the length of steel chain one could buy at one time because that is what the shooter used to bar the doors closed from the inside, trapping his victims in the building. Also, your report that 33 lives were claimed that day is, in my opinion, incorrect. The shooter "claimed" his own life, therefor should not be counted in the "loss" total with the 32 real victims.
    Returning back to the main topic of your editorial, I agree that guns don't belong in bars. Per Michigan law, this is not allowed either. What I don't understand is why I should not be allowed to carry into ANY place the serves alcohol (Applebees, Fridays, etc)to have a meal with my wife and enjoy a glass of water. Being a responsible CPL holder, as a majority of us are, I do not drink when I carry my pistol. Why then, if I am being reponsible, should I not be able to protect my life and the life of my wife because we chose to dine at an establishment that serves beer, wine, or liquor? This in fact has a positive spin because when I am carrying, I am likely one of the few people leaving that establishment without a BAC. Wouldn't this also make me a safer driver on the roads on our way home or to our next location?

Trying to enforce new and more stringent laws on the law abiding concealed pistol license holders in the US who sign themselves into a federal listing is not the correct focus. Those who are dead-set to act on their evil intentions don't follow these, or any laws. It's not as though the VT shootings would have been prevented if Seung Hui Cho would have just read through the student handbook a little more thoroughly. Evil, non-law-abiding people are out there and this is the main reason I chose to become a Michigan CPL holder.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Behind the push for more guns and less regulation is manufactured alarm about what the Obama Administration allegedly intends to do to restrict the right to bear arms and ammunition.
    Does anyone else get a chuckle out of a gun control advocate decrying the use of fearmongering?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Does anyone else get a chuckle out of a gun control advocate decrying the use of fearmongering?
    When I'm not gnashing my teeth in anger over it
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Re: Toledo Blade Editorial against Resturant Carry

You can reply to the Blades Readers Forum, I have sent them a response, I'll see if they print it.
    Letters to the editor must include a full home address and daytime telephone number for their verification process.
    You can submit letters to the readers forum via;
    Mail your letters to Readers' Forum, The Blade, 541 North Superior Street, P.O. Box 921, Toledo, OH 43697-0921
    FAX letters to 419.724.6191 or
    E-Mail them to letters@theblade.com

Well it's Toledo, so about what is expected from there. Makes me even more glad I no longer live in Ohio. Of course it's been long enough now that I forget how screwed up the state was getting that made me move out of there.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by elad View Post
    You can reply to the Blades Readers Forum, I have sent them a response, I'll see if they print it.
    Letters to the editor must include a full home address and daytime telephone number for their verification process.
    You can submit letters to the readers forum via;
    Mail your letters to Readers' Forum, The Blade, 541 North Superior Street, P.O. Box 921, Toledo, OH 43697-0921
    FAX letters to 419.724.6191 or
    E-Mail them to letters@theblade.com
    I won't know if they print mine. I don't get the Blob. My Canary died, and I don't need anything to line the bottom of a cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Well it's Toledo, so about what is expected from there. Makes me even more glad I no longer live in Ohio. Of course it's been long enough now that I forget how screwed up the state was getting that made me move out of there.
    Considering the fact that you paint the entire state of Ohio by one editorial in a second rate newspaper, I'm glad you no longer live in Ohio as well.

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved
    The dogmatic proclamations of "Guns and alcohol don't mix.", and "JUST DON'T DO IT." made by supposed proponents of our RKBA probably don't help.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely true!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo
    One detail that the anti-RKBA folk try to bury is that there were two CHP holders in the building, who were unarmed because of the schools internal policy.

They were obeying the rules while the shooter was totally undeterred by them and a bunch of laws -- like against murder.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN
    They act like pushing for more gun rights is new with the (as a result of the) Obama administration -- where the h e dbl hockey-sticks have these people been for the last 15 years?
    I agree with you guys all the way. Unfortunate that logic escapes these clowns at "The Blade."
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

How do does a Toledo Blade compare to Knives of Alaska...It appears they're not as sharp.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links