Shot gun carry in a pick up.

This is a discussion on Shot gun carry in a pick up. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my CWP here in SC and I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm. I was wondering how many of you also carry a ...

Thread: Shot gun carry in a pick up.

Shot gun carry in a pick up.

I have my CWP here in SC and I carry a Walther PPS in 9mm. I was wondering how many of you also carry a shot gun in your vehicle. I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip that I was thinking about putting under the seat of my truck. Just wondering what your thoughts on this subject would be. Ever since I have been reading on this site I have been"forced" to spend all of my extra money on guns.I have a SA 9mm sc,Walther PPS 9mm,SA 9mm XDM and the shot gun. The least you guys could do is give me a little free advice.

2. Remove Ads

I have seen above the sun visor mounts for long guns.

I would like to carry a shotgun in my pickup truck, but here in PA I can't carry a loaded long gun in my vehicle. I don't think I'll have time to load a shotgun, so I'm content to keep a pistol ready, usually my XDm loaded with 20. Of course I'll try to get away before I go for the gun anyway.

I don't know about SC, but a good place for you to start reading on it is here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
    It looks to me like under the front seat is off limits for vehicle carry there. I could be wrong about this. Maybe some SC residents can help you out here.

BTW I like your gun collection
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thanks for your kind words. I should have been more specific. I have a Chevy crew cab. I was thinking about keeping it under the back seat as a back up.

Been carring a shotgun in the truck since 75'.

Only reason I take it out is to shoot stuff with it or move it to a newer truck.

Depending on your laws go for it. My only concern would be getting it stolen. Here in VT I can carry loaded long gun anywhere in my vehicle I want, including the passenger seat but I just don't see a need and I would worry about someone breaking into my Jeep and stealing it. I have a soft top so the only thing between a criminal and the inside of my Jeep is a zipper. I have never locked the doors either, saves my plastic windows from being cut with a knife.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Any man that would steal a mans shotgun from his truck ought to be shot.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    In CA I can't carry a loaded long gun in my vehicle (CCW-permit or not), so that is not an option for me.

Oh and my condolences on the "cash for guns" problem. No one on this site has found a cure for it yet.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

No one on this site has found a cure for it yet.
    I know the cure. It just aint legal to use.

I don' think anybody will ever find a cure. I failed to mention that I also read the AR15 site and was again "forced" to purchase a Bushmaster AR15 along with over 100 20 and 30 round mags from various manufacturers and about 2500rounds of.223. My daughter (26 year old school teacher) made me laugh the other day when she said "who stole my Dad I don' know you are."

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Any man that would steal a mans shotgun from his truck ought to be shot.
    GET A ROPE
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I do not like the idea of keeping an unsecured firearm anywhere in my vehicle. If I ever do decide to do that I would have to remember to take it out upon returning home.

I did give thought to buying a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security shotgun as a knock around long gun or maybe an SKS.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Most Crew Cabs have tinted back windows. You can get gun holders for crew cabs that hang off the front seat head rest. Not very secure,but very accessiable. You can still store behind back seat when desired.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have wondered about carrying a mossberg 500 pistol grip pump in the truck, but there's nothing in the VA concealed carry section of handgunlaw that discusses long guns. Perhaps the carrying and transporting of long guns is found in the hunting laws? For some reason, I'm thinking in VA there's an issue of a long gun being loaded and readily accessable in a vehicle.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links