Legal problems and EDC mods

This is a discussion on Legal problems and EDC mods within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have searched and all the threads I've read have not touched this issue. Also, I'm not trying to start any fights or stir ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal problems and EDC mods

Ok, I have searched and all the threads I've read have not touched this issue. Also, I'm not trying to start any fights or stir the pot. I'm only looking for facts. So here is my quesion:

Have there been any cases where an individual involved in a SD shooting got into trouble in court for modifying his/her gun. I've read many posts here with this gem but I have yet to see evidence to back this up.

As always, if I have missed a post I would be greatful if someone would post the link. And please guys, no flaming or arguing I really want this thread to stay open!! Thanks
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    No cases I can think of.

I will say that if you modify your EDC make sure its totally reliable and the action is safe (I.E. not AD due to mechanical failure).
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I don't know of any cases where it has acutally happened however i have seen a few topics on it meaning that it's something that people worry about. Because of this my EDC is 100 percent totally stock. I even took off my grip sleeve.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yah, my EDC is and will stay totaly stock as well, the only thing I plan to change is my sights....I like the heine straight eight...but I was just curious about the origins of the issue.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    yuck... I remember that thread *shutter*
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Massad Ayoob did a whole article about this several months back (Can't remember the magazine, but I think it might have been Concealed Carry or something like that) and he listed a number of cases where mods like trigger jobs were protrayed as hair triggers in court. The point seemed to be to take a justifiable shooting and make it look like an accidental shooting so the BG's family could bilk the insurance companies.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I think I'm going to start doing searches from my laptop......I always miss stuff on the mobile!!! Thanks Mitchell!!

Also thanks Pastor, I'll try and google that article up.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Massad Ayoob did a whole article about this several months back (Can't remember the magazine, but I think it might have been Concealed Carry or something like that) and he listed a number of cases where mods like trigger jobs were protrayed as hair triggers in court. The point seemed to be to take a justifiable shooting and make it look like an accidental shooting so the BG's family could bilk the insurance companies.
    i was just about to post this; i read the same article. that was the only time i've ever heard of a mod being done that might affect someone legally.

VIP Member
    I don't worry about it as long as there's no "do it yourself" modifications that make the weapon dangerous. ie: Home trigger jobs etc.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I believe that the argments would be easily countered.
    As for me, I will do what I think I should to give me the best chance to survive. That includes mods, and handloaded ammo if that was the best in my gun.

The gun writers need something sensational now and then to show their expertise. I'll worry about such things if I survive. Idon't expect to ever get into a shootout anyway, but if I do the lawyers can eat cake.

Regards,
    Jerry

If ya shootin a Glock, it's good to go outa the box, why even worry bout dem modifications, cause ya can't improve on purrrrrrrfection...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Not a problem in my mind.

The only arguments about modifications seem to be the 'hair trigger' circumstance that brings on an 'accidental' shooting which triggers the claim of culpable negligence. Then the late lamented's family dog piles on for a piece of the settlement.

That's not going very far if the respondent testifies he (or she) intentionally shot and the reasons justifying the self defense.

I could see a problem in one of those "... we were wrestling for the gun and it went off..." scenarios.

It depends on how you live your life and how you conduct yourself.

None of this addresses the issue of having one's $2500 super sexy pistol in the court's custody for between three weeks and twenty years.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    None of this addresses the issue of having one's $2500 super sexy pistol in the court's custody for between three weeks and twenty years.
    Another reason to carry a Glock! I would not worry about night sites. A competition trigger might make things interesting. I do some minor things to mine, but nothing that I would worry about having to explain. The way I look at it justified is justified.

My two cents

I would think some minor mods wouldnt be an issue. Truthfully, they'll pull any straw they can. If you carry target rounds they'll paint you as a guy who uses ammo designed to "shoot all the way through a person", if you use hollow points youll be painted as the guy who uses bullets designed to "Shred a persons innards".

If they decide to prosecute, they're going to fight it and they'll us anything potential foothold they can.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links