List of states that I can ignore "NO CCW" signs"?

This is a discussion on List of states that I can ignore "NO CCW" signs"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, that confused me too, but I'm sure that I've ready posts in this forum where people have said that you have to tell the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of states that I can ignore "NO CCW" signs"?

Well, that confused me too, but I'm sure that I've ready posts in this forum where people have said that you have to tell the BG to drop his gun before you can shoot. Believe me, my mindset is to never pull my weapon unless I have to and if I pull it, then I have already made the decision that deadly force is necessary.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Signs means nothing in Florida, but if for some reason they discover that you are carrying a firearm and then they ask you to leave you better do it, otherwise you are armed trespassing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by walrusjax View Post
    OK, another question.

How about a list of where you have to give a warning? Again, in Florida, I don't know if I have to tell them that I have a gun of if I can just shoot.
    I am confused now; are you wondering if there is a law that says that you have to give a warning to the BG before discharging your firearm? I do not think so. If I could not avoid in any way such a bad situation there I have to use my firearm, most probably I will not have time to give a warning even if I wanted. No warnings here.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

In Minnesota, if you are asked to leave and don't you can get a petty misdemeanor trespassing ticket ($25). If it is posted (or not) and you leave when asked, no further action. In no case does it affect your permit.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Tx has to be 30.06 compliant in english and spanish,if there is a sign that says the unlawful carry on these premises is a felony it don't apply to legal carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, that confused me too, but I'm sure that I've ready posts in this forum where people have said that you have to tell the BG to drop his gun before you can shoot. Believe me, my mindset is to never pull my weapon unless I have to and if I pull it, then I have already made the decision that deadly force is necessary.
    Usually in states where you have to retreat before using deadly force, like in NYS, must the armed citizen "warn" the aggressor that he/she is armed and to back off before deadly force is considered justifiable. Lived there for decades; mean no offense to anyone that still is an inmate. I imagine IL is probably the same, and I also remember another state other than CA on the left coast where that's required. Oregon, perhaps? At any rate, are you asking about that concept?

There is no duty to retreat in GA in a deadly force or forcible felony encounter, regardless of where the armed citizen happens to be, as long as the armed citizen isn't committing a criminal act at the time of the critical incident. I also know that in MA, if you can believe it, there is also no duty to retreat when the armed citizen is in their home or domicile. I don't know for sure if the same is true of a citizen of MA that finds one's self in a deadly encounter away from their homes tho.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

If you had to give a warning, would you have to do it in multiple languages?

Would you have to get a signed affidavit from the perpetrator acknowledging the warning so in case they died once you administered the lead injection you'd have proof that you in fact did issue the required warning?

Colorado, unless there are permanently attached detectors at every entrance, and every person entering is required to go through, you can carry (the usual places are still a no-no, K-12 schools, Federal buildings/property, courts, detention facilities, etc.). You must leave if asked at businesses. Public transportation is iffy (buses, light rail...)

Oddly I can not remember if we are a duty to retreat state (retreat, not comply), but that is part of my SOP anyhow in public. At home or in my vehicle is another matter. No quarter will be asked or given if myself or mine are in jeopardy.

The best thing for you to do is if you know you are going to be in a state that has reciprocity with one of your permits, is to locate a source that will give you all of that states statutes, and read up on the firearm laws, and the criminal code.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    You cannot ignore a sign posted here in West Virginia. It can be any type too.
    Same deal in Connecticut. Getting caught can cost you your carry permit, your firearm, your wallet and your freedom - it's a felony.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I've never read any posts that say that. If I consider my life in danger enough to shoot someone, you can be assured I won't be taking the time to tell the perp that is my intention.

It sure isn't required where I live.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I've never read any posts that say that. If I consider my life in danger enough to shoot someone, you can be assured I won't be taking the time to tell the perp that is my intention.

It sure isn't required where I live.
    +1

Weapon comes out, it is intended to be used. No threats, no warnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananael View Post
    You can ignore them in Oregon, too. If asked to leave as a result, trespassing comes into play, as usual.
    I posted this in another thread but since you say you can ignore the signs in Oregon you might want to read this.

164.265 Criminal trespass while in possession of firearm. (1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
    (2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]
    To define enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises I looked to the definitions in this:
    164.205 Definitions for ORS 164.205 to 164.270. As used in ORS 164.205 to 164.270, except as the context requires otherwise:
    (3) “Enter or remain unlawfully” means:
    (a) To enter or remain in or upon premises when the premises, at the time of such entry or remaining, are not open to the public or when the entrant is not otherwise licensed or privileged to do so;
    (b) To fail to leave premises that are open to the public after being lawfully directed to do so by the person in charge;
    (c) To enter premises that are open to the public after being lawfully directed not to enter the premises; or
    (d) To enter or remain in a motor vehicle when the entrant is not authorized to do so.
    (6) “Premises” includes any building and any real property, whether privately or publicly owned. [1971 c.743 §135; 1983 c.740 §33; 1999 c.1040 §10; 2003 c.444 §1]

After reading this definition of "enter or remain unlawfully" in clause (c) it states: To enter premises that are open to the public after lawfully directed not to enter the premises. So I guess the judge would say that the sign lawfully directed me to not enter with my firearm and there for was unlawfully entering. Then you could potentially be convicted of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    After reading this definition of "enter or remain unlawfully" in clause (c) it states: To enter premises that are open to the public after lawfully directed not to enter the premises. So I guess the judge would say that the sign lawfully directed me to not enter with my firearm and there for was unlawfully entering. Then you could potentially be convicted of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm.
    I'm not a lawyer.

I agree that sounds right as written, but as I was told in my CCW class (I am not a lawyer, I don't know this for certain), the no guns sign has no power in Oregon law to "lawfully direct" me not to enter.

Once a person who has authority for that property has asked me to leave, however, it has force in law.

For instance if I got caught printing in a supermarket and was asked to leave by the manager last week, and next week I walk into the same store again carrying, I'm in violation, having been lawfully asked not to carry there by a person with the authority to do so.

Again, not a lawyer, just how it was explained to me.

Hope I explained that clearly, these legal things are sure awkward!

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    OK, another question.

How about a list of where you have to give a warning? Again, in Florida, I don't know if I have to tell them that I have a gun of if I can just shoot.
    I have never heard of a law requiring a warning, but if you think you need one.

STOP (bang, bang) NOW (bang)
    I (bang) am (bang) in (bang) fear (bang) of (bang) my (bang) life.

Repeat as needed.

I will say this....Any place that says I can't carry doesn't deserve my business anyway. I realize that sometimes you have no choice, but if a restaurant says no firearms, there are plenty of other places to eat, etc.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links