List of states that I can ignore "NO CCW" signs"?

This is a discussion on List of states that I can ignore "NO CCW" signs"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, While I always use "Handgunlaw.us" to lookup everything I need to know when I travel to or through any state, do any of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of states that I can ignore "NO CCW" signs"?

Hi All,

While I always use "Handgunlaw.us" to lookup everything I need to know when I travel to or through any state, do any of you guys know of an actual list that tells me, state-by-state, if I can safely ignore "NO CCW" signs? (That is my main bugaboo when I CCW travel). Perhaps a site that also, in list form state-by-state, also has CCW in restaurants that serve liquor and must inform officer info?

Unless I missed it, Handgunlaw.us doesn't definitively say anything about signs unless the signs must be followed by law. The only problem with that, is that I need to very carefully read all of the verbiage in Handgunlaw.us's "Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License" for each state in order to find out, and then I worry that I could easily miss it.

And yes, I know that I should (and I actually do) carefully read all the verbiage anyway, but when I travel through a state while getting to another, sometimes I need to be reminded of only the high points -- just like Handgunlaw.us does on the top of each state's first Handgunlaw.us page with "MUST INFORM OFFICER: YES/NO.

Thanks,

-Bill

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    In WA you are not criminally liable for ignoring "No Guns" signs (except, of course, locales specified in the law: K-12 schools, courthouses, jails, police stations). An NG sign in a store window can be ignored without fear of criminal prosecution. If you are discovered carrying, the owner/management can insist that you leave. If you refuse, then you can be taken into police custody and charged with trespassing, nothing more.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I have been looking for a similiar list of states with Brandishing Laws as I'm having trouble finding out if there is such a law, even in my own state of Florida.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not looking to be flashing my gun all over but I do want to know if I ever pull it to defuse a situation if that is considered brandishing.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    ...if I ever pull it to defuse a situation...
    Wording it this way makes it sound like a heated argument instead of situation where you believe your safety is in genuine jeopardy. In which case I would be very surprised if you were NOT charged with brandishing.

If you're talking about a situation where you are convinced of a real threat to your life/safety, and you pull your pistol in preparation to meet that threat, and the presence of your firearm causes the potential assailant to flee (therefore the gun was pulled but not fired) then "brandishing" would be arguable at best.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

"Brandishing" is not mentioned in Ohio law.

Knowing violation of a private "no guns" area is a misdemeanor in Ohio. Violation of a statutory "no guns" (gov't buildings or liquor establishments) is a felony. The official state approved sign for state buildings says "unless authorized by law". That does NOT apply to us.

I'm not an expert on Kentucky law, but from what I understand it is not a criminal offense in Kentucky. If asked to leave and you refuse, it then becomes a trespassing issue.

The problem with a national website listing is that there are many fine details in many of the states.

#1. Signs mean nothing in Florida.

#2. Guns are not tools used to difuse a situation.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not in Kansas, Well hopefully that will change soon but right now it's more confusing because there is only one exceptable sign but there are a lot of non-compliant signs and no word if they carry the impact of law. If you get busted look for felony charges.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

You can ignore signs in Georgia, but if your are asked to leave you need to do so. I just dont do business with them, of course i havent seen any. Most around here are gun friendly.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

In Arizona, signs on private businesses mean nothing, unless it's a restaurant w/ a liquor license, in which case you probably don't want to be eating there anyway (any business that posts "no guns" is either fanatically liberal or likely has patrons with violent propensities.)

You can ignore them in NV as long as the building that's posted isn't a public building. The law in NV allows public buildings to post "no ccw" signs, but there's no law that allows for enforceable signs on private buildings. Even the public buildings that are posted have to be posted on all entrances or it's not valid.

You cannot ignore a sign posted here in West Virginia. It can be any type too.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    In WA you are not criminally liable for ignoring "No Guns" signs (except, of course, locales specified in the law: K-12 schools, courthouses, jails, police stations). An NG sign in a store window can be ignored without fear of criminal prosecution. If you are discovered carrying, the owner/management can insist that you leave. If you refuse, then you can be taken into police custody and charged with trespassing, nothing more.
    Michigan also.

You can ignore them in Oregon, too. If asked to leave as a result, trespassing comes into play, as usual.

OK, another question.

How about a list of where you have to give a warning? Again, in Florida, I don't know if I have to tell them that I have a gun of if I can just shoot.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by walrusjax View Post
    OK, another question.

How about a list of where you have to give a warning? Again, in Florida, I don't know if I have to tell them that I have a gun of if I can just shoot.
    A warning for what? If you are in a situation that requires the use of your firearm to end a threat, why would you be giving a warning of the action about to be taken?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links