Spouse/Significant Other Compatibility - Page 2

Spouse/Significant Other Compatibility

This is a discussion on Spouse/Significant Other Compatibility within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We always have an LCP a piece, with extra mags. I love the compatibility....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spouse/Significant Other Compatibility

We always have an LCP a piece, with extra mags. I love the compatibility.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I've got a real sense of deja vu about this one. Don't mind if I copy and paste do you?
    Once my wife got her permit, she carried my G27 and I went to a G23. I really liked the idea of us both carrying the same caliber. Thing is, she cut her Glock teeth on the G19, and we finally got her a G26 for her birthday last month. Now she's carrying her G26 and I'm still carrying the G23. Any good reason for me to go back to carrying the G19? Compatibility issues? Not really.....we've got each others back no matter what.
    Ram Rod, I think your wife and you are going down a very sound road. Platform is just as important, if not more so than round interchangeabilty, except in military or extreme situations.

I am very flexable on platforms. My wife, not so much. She has certian things she likes or is comfortable with. It is easier for me to yeild than her.

I would stick with Glock and go 9mm and 40 S&W. In a bind his wife could shoot the 40 with no problem. He would still have his caliber of choice. Not to mention they could purchase an after market barrel and practice with the same round.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry .40's, she likes the 9 for home and carries the .380 LCP. I don't see it as much of an issue.

I am considering getting a .40 cal carbine for the gun safe at home, or a .223 carbine. I'm trying to limit it to 3 calibers that I have to have a stockpile of ammo for.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

My wife is wanting to shoot some first and then decide what she wants. Shes pretty sure she wants either a 9, a .40 or a .45. As much as I hope she goes for the .45 (for ammo stockpile and purchasing reasons) I figure its best if she picks what she wants and not "persuade" her. So for me compatibility is probably a lost cause but Id rather her have a gun she likes if she needs it.

Shes really leaning towards the XD compact stuff. She likes the grip safety quite a bit.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

yup, and since she does not regularly shoot and cant without having to really think about it clear a jam in a semi auto she gets a revolver...if you cant 100% run your gun through a failure and do it as if your life depended on it you should not carry a semi auto...she gets the Taurus CH85 hopefully soon to be with Crimson Traces :).

How do I know she should not have a semi auto...when at the range I was loading mags for the Glock 23 and slipped a snap cap in the 5the place of 13 rounds when gun went click but no bang she just looked dumbly at the gun...then at me..and said...I think I broke it....if that had been a "life saving time" she would be dead she had no idea what to do to get it working again...

I showed here hat to do...and near the end of that day(2 hours) I did the same thing again..she again didnt really know what to do without instruction...I think it actually worried her a bit because I said...what if that would have been what happened when a bad guy broke in while I was at work...she just uses the Taurus Revolver now because she knows it just goes bang when she pulls the trigger and if the round does not go off you just pull it again and she cant limp wrist a revolver :) . just my 2cents.

I was willing to do something like that until I discovered that my wife refuses to carry a semi-auto because she doesn't like flying brass. She will happily carry a revolver. My preferred (and only) carry option is a P226 in 357SIG. My wife decided she liked a J-frame in .38/.357. She shoots it well, and I'd much rather she carry something she actually looks forward to carrying, rather than something that makes her flinch away from flying brass. I don't want to, and can't afford to switch to a revolver, and since our platforms are so different, I don't see that standardizing would actually make a significant difference in our situation.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Well, speaking for myself and the dear bf, the gun purchase process has been for me an exercise in learning what I can hold stably, and shoot reliably, and which is a platform I can both trust and afford. That led me right to Glock's door. I ended up choosing a Glock 22 in a .40 S&W. K already has a small arsenal, which includes a Browning Hi Power in 9 mm, an Argentine 1911 clone in .45 ACP, and a Colt Official Police .38 special revolver.

I am very happy to shoot his semi-automatics, but have sincere and troubling difficulties with grip on the revolver which affects both my accuracy (crappy at best) and my speed (dead before first gunshot, every time). We have replaced the grips on his revolver but I find that while I can now hold them a bit better, I still cannot shoot or shoot quickly. So for me, that Colt is looking less and less attractive daily. He has one more grip option he's going to pursue (that I know about).

Meanwhile, he has gone from announcing he wants a Glock a few times a week (while we were waiting for mine to arrive) to mentioning it daily and specifying he wants a G22 as well, to every couple of hours speaking Glock lurve and ideation on which model he might get. I, on the other hand, have been shooting his Hi Power more frequently at the range and starting thinking lots of HP love thoughts of my own. It doesn't hurt in the slightest bit that, having been doing all my learning on a .40 switching to a 9mm makes my 5-8" groupings shimmy down to a 2" spread with seemingly no effort.

I also (being a Glock owner for just about one week now....!!!) am starting to think lots of compact/subcompact 9mm thoughts like Kahr and XD and SR9c. All of which will have to wait some time, and have some range rental ability.

Would be nice if he goes .40 caliber in his next gun, for ammo sharing. Or... if I go 9mm for the same reason. Of course.... I'm liking the .40 so much maybe I'll start experimenting with the .45?

Whatever, long story short is, I love my gun. I love shooting my guns, his guns ( for the most part ) and rentals. Whether we are able to share individual guns amongst us - we will make it happen, whether we (I) like it or not. It just doesn't make sense to have defense options which are inoperable if we have a man down. The good news is, we both like shooting a lot, and therefore have a range partner whenever we want/can afford to go out shooting.

M-
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

It's been about a six month process, finding a gun/caliber she will use.

No, I didn't train her, a really good federal firearms instructor did. He now has her outshooting me. I shoot faster, but she shoots one hole groups better than I can even dream of.

Since I have more training it only makes sense for me to adapt to her, rather than forcing her to adapt to me, IMO. She is now the owner of her own Glock 19, and I got mine back. I never thought I'd miss a Block, but I did. I also got a 26 to go with my 19. That way we can share magazine and ammo and if she is not armed I can give her one of my two guns that I carry and she will be competent with it.

Next up is dragging the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 out from the back of the safe and loading it with a 33 Round "Happy Stick". She can use that as a home defense carbine while I use the M4 or the 12 Guage. She really has no interest in longarms, so the Sub 2000 is a good compromise IMO.

It's been a long time in happening, and I didn't try to force her down this road. I would just ask her if she wants to go shooting, or if we were out in the boonies and she asked to shoot one of my guns, I would let her. I'm happy with where we've come, and that she got there of her own free will.

OK, I'm bragging, as I married a good woman.

Biker

I tried, wife did not like Glocks, I don't really like the walther. NBD.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    To the O.P. I see and understand your logic except for one thing. What would the situation be that you feel the need to have commonality in platforms and calibers?

It would make sense if you were involved in military situation but besides that I don't get it. Does anyone really invision that need to make gun or magazine swaps while dealing with the b.g.s you may deal with on the streets or at home? I'm getting these pictures of "honey I'm out, toss me a mag".

I'm not trying to start a "flame fest" I really don't understand the need.

I tend to agree with you Bubba. The main concern for me would be the ability of both parties to be capable of using either firearm if need be. My wife although petite is capable of shooting my super red hawk .44 (9.5 inch/b) She would never own one but she is always there saying my turn at the range. It is for hunting by the way, but should the need arise.

Part of my rationale is based on the fact that I'm not home most nights.

As a LEO working Corrections I probably stand a greater liklihood of retaliation that the average street cop or detective. They only have to arrest them and testify against them. I on the other hand have to be among them eight hours a day. That creates the strong possibility of them developing a grudge against you. My wife decided she wanted a gun of her own because she knew I wouldn't be there to protect her, as I would most likely be at work.

She isn't inclined to carry so much as wanting a gun for her protection in the home. When we are out and about in public I may come upon a situation that is a continuation of the penal institution. Thus, I want her to be able to protect herself from that, and if I have to give her one of my guns I want it to be one that she is competent with, and is comfortable using.

Retaliatory strikes by gang members is on the upswing. The best I can do is be prepared, no matter how much smoke the administration is trying to blow up my rectum. It's not unheard of to see former inmates out in public, as nobody lives in a vacuum. All I have to do is go to the grocery store and I will see people that have done time in one penal institution or another.

Odds are there will be no retaliatory strikes, but if there is it is my responsibility to be prepared for it. Anything less would be living in denial.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ...OK, I'm bragging, as I married a good woman.

Biker
    Brag away. You're a lucky man.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

HKR
    I went through this a couple of years ago after my wife got her G19. We had 2 G19s, a G26 and my EDC was a G23. I swapped to carrying a G19 and or G26 so that we could share ammo, mags, etc.
    It greatly simlified things, although sometimes I do carry other calibers and platforms.
    She has been shooting .45 a bit more lately, so there may be another change in our future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links