Sabino Canyon Recreation Area - No Weapons?

This is a discussion on Sabino Canyon Recreation Area - No Weapons? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seeing as how Sabino Canyon near Tucson was always part of the Coronado National Forest (which has never been under a gun ban like the ...

Thread: Sabino Canyon Recreation Area - No Weapons?

Sabino Canyon Recreation Area - No Weapons?

Seeing as how Sabino Canyon near Tucson was always part of the Coronado National Forest (which has never been under a gun ban like the NPS has), shouldn't carry be okay-to-go there as allowed under Arizona law?

I can go up Mount Lemmon (part of the CNF) and carry any way I want, but Sabino Canyon has "No Weapons" posted on their entrance sign and on their website. Is there some regulation about 'Recreation Areas' that allows them to do this or are they just doing this to keep out 'undesirables' (like people who want to exercise their rights)?

2. Remove Ads

It's part of the National Forest Service but appears to have a specific rule against weapons. Rare within the NFS, but it does happen.

You have to choose for yourself, but if no one is aware of your weapon then there is no issue, correct? Not encouraging civil disobedience, but life is filled with risks and consequences.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Its not above a Goverment offical to make a command decision that is in conflict with the overall plan.

I would ask for clarification on the rule that allows them to post such a sign then contact my congressman to get the rule changed. Now is a good time to get the ball rolling. As you write the congressman also ask about 500 of your closest friend to also drop him a line. the squeeky wheel get oiled.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

I remember growing up around there and ditching school to go to sabino canyon. If i recall it would be very hard to conceal there; due to the swimming and lack of clothing. Mostly the lack of clothing thing.

By the way.........GO SUN DEVILS
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
    I remember growing up around there and ditching school to go to sabino canyon. If i recall it would be very hard to conceal there; due to the swimming and lack of clothing. Mostly the lack of clothing thing.

By the way.........GO SUN DEVILS
    Glad to know that other university has such high admissions standards for prospective students.

You misspelled 'Scum Devils', by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatCWP View Post
    Seeing as how Sabino Canyon near Tucson was always part of the Coronado National Forest (which has never been under a gun ban like the NPS has), shouldn't carry be okay-to-go there as allowed under Arizona law?

I can go up Mount Lemmon (part of the CNF) and carry any way I want, but Sabino Canyon has "No Weapons" posted on their entrance sign and on their website. Is there some regulation about 'Recreation Areas' that allows them to do this or are they just doing this to keep out 'undesirables' (like people who want to exercise their rights)?
    It still may not be legal (the sign) under your state law. You need to check that.

Here in Seattle, the mayor decided that certain areas, like city parks, would now be off-limits to guns, and had them posted. It is illegal according to 'state' law. So at this time, you can cc, but if caught and asked to leave, you must or can be arrested for trespassing.

I dont know if your situation is similar, but it's worth checking.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    It still may not be legal (the sign) under your state law. You need to check that.

Here in Seattle, the mayor decided that certain areas, like city parks, would now be off-limits to guns, and had them posted. It is illegal according to 'state' law. So at this time, you can cc, but if caught and asked to leave, you must or can be arrested for trespassing.

I dont know if your situation is similar, but it's worth checking.
    I don't believe state and local laws apply as, from what I can gather, it's federal.

I have no clue. I just wanted to point out that it's federal, thus federal rules apply.

Biker

Something similar came up here recently. One of the city parks has a sign that has a bunch of rules, one of which states "no weapons" when questioned on it they admitted it was not correct.

It only made the news because the guy that called them on it wanted the sign changed and they said it wasn't in the budget.

It is just like anything else the government does wrong, if no one questions them on it they will not correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I don't believe state and local laws apply as, from what I can gather, it's federal.

I have no clue. I just wanted to point out that it's federal, thus federal rules apply.

Biker
    I was just offering a comparative situation. Meaning that perhaps local authorities put up the signs and they are not legal within or applicable to that partcular federal area.

Because as you said, guns are allowed in national forests. Do you know for certain that Sabino Canyon is administered by the national forest service, or could it be a separately designated & administered area within it?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I was just offering a comparative situation. Meaning that perhaps local authorities put up the signs and they are not legal within or applicable to that partcular federal area.

Because as you said, guns are allowed in national forests. Do you know for certain that Sabino Canyon is administered by the national forest service, or could it be a separately designated & administered area within it?
    Howdy 9MM.

I have no clue. You do however bring up a good point about the signs and who exactly oversees the area the OP is asking about.

Biker

Sabino Canyon Recreation Area -- Coronado National Forest

It's definitely under the Coronado National Forest.

The most they can do is ask you to leave. Chances are they haven't updated the rules yet, since CC was just changed.
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

Quote Originally Posted by Orion46 View Post
    The most they can do is ask you to leave. Chances are they haven't updated the rules yet, since CC was just changed.
    Not quite, because the the ban was just eliminated on National Park carry. National Forests have been free to carry in since forever. (The NPs are administered by the Dept. of the Interior and the NFs by the Dept. of Agriculture -- they are two separate agencies entirely.) Since Sabino Canyon is in a National Forest they should have always allowed carry but they've had a 'no weapons' sign up since I was a little kid.

I think the 'no weapons' edict was handed down from some park ranger who either didn't like guns or who got a ton of complaints from liberals about people open carrying (and open carry is legal in NPs and NFs in the state of Arizona). The ban isn't legal and I plan on investigating this over spring break.

Thank you for that info, I didn't know there was a difference between National Park and National Forest. Learn something new everyday, thanks.
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

Good info.

Links