New perspective on self defense

This is a discussion on New perspective on self defense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to share a recent experience I had that has changed my outlook on my own self defense system, which includes choice of carry. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New perspective on self defense

New perspective on self defense

I want to share a recent experience I had that has changed my outlook on my own self defense system, which includes choice of carry. In December I accompanied a mission team made up of entirely of 4 woman and 3 teenage girls to South Africa. That number included my wife and teenage daughter. We were going to provide a Christmas for the orphan children in the city of Delmas. As most of you may know, SA has one of the highest crime rates in the world, and my wife is originally from there, she is a decendent of the original dutch settlers, commonally referred to as BOARS. Since I had some insight as to what to expect, naturally my concern was self protection for myself and the team. Being an LE and carrying daily for duty and self defense, I always carried nothing but a 40 or 10mm thinking that met my minimum requirements. However now, I was faced with the realization that I was about to go into hostile territory and could not take a firearm. For months I tried to think of a way to get a firearm over there, but the risk was too great, I had to improvise, adapt and overcome. I decided to take 3 cans of pepper spray, a medium expandable baton and a variety of fighting knives, which included my old USMC kbar, Cold steel neck knife, Cold steel dagger w/inside the pants sheath, and a CKRT fighting folder. At all times I carried the pepper spray and folding fighter, upgrading as I felt necessary. At no time did you ever feel safe, and everywhere we stayed they had tall walls topped with razor and electric wire. At one time in the city of Durbin we were followed by a group of street thugs, of which one was carrying a large piece of wood. I sent the woman and kids ahead with instructions to get to the hotel no matter what, while I turned and faced them. I pulled the baton out of my cargo pocket and snapped it open for them to see, while I had my left hand on the pepper spray in my pocket. No force was needed thank God, as they walked to the other side of the street when seeing I had made them and was ready to fight. I felt completely naked without my firearm, and at that time I remember thinking how my little j frame 38 would have felt like the Hammer of Thor. I had a few more close calls, but was able to recognize the situation and avoid it. I remember how I felt after arriving back home. Safe. Secure. I have traveled abroad many times during my tours with the Marines, but never at it alone and now I have a new found sense of appreciation for our country. But now my 10mm, 40, and 45 stays in the safe. My main gun when not on duty is my j frame. In SA, the people live in fear, you can SMELL fear, and you can sense it everywhere. People there are at the mercy criminals. I just wanted to share this experience with my new family here. I think it has changed me for the good. I think for a long time I was almost paranoid, and was living my life around what-ifs instead of living.It has helped me become more realistic with self protection and make it fit me instead of me conforming to fit it. I don't have an agenda with this post, just wanted to share my experience and hope maybe someone can get something out of it. Look forward to your thoughts

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    . However now, I was faced with the realization that I was about to go into hostile territory and could not take a firearm. For months I tried to think of a way to get a firearm over there, but the risk was too great, I had to improvise, adapt and overcome.
    Couldn't you get a temporary firearm importation permit?
    At the very least a SAPS 520 will let you bring a rifle.
    Handguns are limited to 7.65mm/.32 for civilians. Rifles must not be in military calibers or semi auto.

A side by side .375H&H is neither military or semi auto :)

I think you have re-defined to yourself that your mind is the weapon and the guns are just tools. You had raw opportunities to ratchet up your situational awareness and by your account you handled them well. You also gained insights to the baser, pack mentality of people who would seek to prey on others.

BTW, small historical (and spelling) point, the Dutch settlers were the "Boers" - from the German work "Bauer", meaning farmer.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you for sharing your experience, observations, and how it has made you feel. While all societies have thier shortcomings, we are truly fortunate in the US. Your post is a most interesting read and very thought provoking on many levels. You found yourself in a position that many of us may never face, but gives us all things to think about in case we are traveling at home or abroad without the benefit of our typical SD measures. Glad everything turned out ok.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think you have re-defined to yourself that your mind is the weapon and the guns are just tools. You had raw opportunities to ratchet up your situational awareness and by your account you handled them well. You also gained insights to the baser, pack mentality of people who would seek to prey on others.

BTW, small historical (and spelling) point, the Dutch settlers were the "Boers" - from the German work "Bauer", meaning farmer.
    The British will tell you that they know how to shoot too. The legend of the 7X57 Mauser started here.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

A lot to think about and appreciate...thanks for sharing and glad you remained unharmed!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I pulled the baton out of my cargo pocket and snapped it open for them to see, while I had my left hand on the pepper spray in my pocket. No force was needed thank God,
    Enjoyed the read......................

Carrying sure does take away that "helpless" feeling.

Thanks for sharing. It does in fact illustrate again - the appreciation of this country and how those elsewhere live a dramatically different life. It sounds like your situational awareness while over there, helped develop a new appreciation for "living life" in general. Thanks again for sharing.

Semper Fi
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

I guess you all are doing the Lord's work but I would have never knowingly put myself or allowed seven women in my care to be placed in such a situation. You went with the intent of giving orphans a Christian experience but could have easily found yourselves in situations where one or all of you could have been killed, maimed or orphaned.
    I have shirt tail relatives who are missionaries and so I hear second hand what those type environments can be.
    Congratulations on pulling off the event safely.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

We have travelled in SA several times also Namibia and Zimbabwe (all for hunting). It was sobering to see all the razor wire around residences; just a matter of fact of life for them. As we walk around our town we often mention how open/free it would look to a South African citizen and although crime isn't absent from our society, how different the two are. I think taking hunting firearms has gotten a little more strict but in 2001 we took our short barreled Ruger SP 101s "for hunting" (actually for self defense against bush animals..)
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    Couldn't you get a temporary firearm importation permit?
    At the very least a SAPS 520 will let you bring a rifle.
    Handguns are limited to 7.65mm/.32 for civilians. Rifles must not be in military calibers or semi auto.

A side by side .375H&H is neither military or semi auto :)
    When you take a rifle to SA, you have to submitt a letter of intent written by your hunting guide stating that the purpose of the rifle is for hunting purposes. It must be locked up at the host[hunting guides] property until you leave. Also, it was not hunting season as it is summer there in December. A rifle would be hard to conceal in summer clothing. Also, the wheels of goverment there turn very slowly, if at all. Very corrupt. A foreign goverment that has very limited self protection rights to its citizens would probably not allow me to carry concealed. Also, semi autos are banned for all. Even lever guns are banned. Interestingly, private security companys there carried revolvers, and have legal powers of arrest like the SAP. Things are very different there. Believe me, I tried everything. It was a nightmare just getting through customs, and as I understand it, your hunting guide has to pick up your hunting rifle with you at the airport which after all the paper work and stamping can take hours.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing, like you my travels in the military were quite different, we had a sense of security as military members even then and we did not have our family members to worry about in such situations.

You improvised and adapted the best you could under the circumstances my friend. Glad to hear you all kept safe.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Thanks..................but I won't be going there to celebrate Christmas any time soon.....

Hey, I think you had an good post. I have been away a while working on my masters and was actually thinking of if I should keep the .45 in the safe and go simple like my j frame. Well, you answered it. Good post
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

RMS
    Thanks for a great post with insights to how life is for others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links